Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool meltdown

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, i'd be disappointed too. But some reps are lose cannons so i'd take his comments with a pinch of salt. And i wouldnt gie sterling two fingers etc. but then i dont support the self proclaimed greatest club on earth.
Wtf have Leeds United got to do with this thread?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But I was responding to:-

I think I'd be disappointed if an Albion player did the same as Stirling and his agent. How would you feel if one of our player's representatives said he didn't give a shit about Brighton?

Which seems an odd question as it happened twice 18 months ago.

How did you feel when 2 of our players said they didn't give a shit about Brighton?

I don't recall them saying that. One had been unsettled by a team in the division above - the premier league treated as the destination in which all footballers to want to play. He claimed he had trouble focusing and, according to the club, the manager decided not to use him. A second player tried to be professional and keep playing, but later admitted he probably had, despite his best efforts, become distracted.

I don't recall either being disparaging about the albion.

Dec 29, 2011
Whoever was responsible for recruitment needs to go. Suarez was the second or third highest transfer in history and they replace him with Balotelli. We all knew it'd be a disaster, how can a world class recruitment team not see that? Should have bought a top striker to replace him, Jovetic, Costa cavani, huntelaar etc any of them would have been better.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/brendan-rodgers-sacks-liverpool-fc-2015043097885

Brendan Rodgers sacks Liverpool FC

LIVERPOOL FC manager Brendan Rodgers has announced that he is sacking the club after yet another disappointing season.

The manager made his decision after the team’s abysmal 1-0 defeat to Hull City which condemns them to yet another season of European football on ITV4.

Rodgers had warned the club that if they dropped points against Hull they would face grave consequences.

In an official statement, he said: “I would like to place on record my thanks for all the hard work put in by Liverpool FC during their tenure under me.

“However, it has become clear that as they do not have the calibre required of a Brendan Rodgers club and it is with deep regret that I must let them go. I wish them all the best for the future.”

There were tearful scenes as the club cleared its desk, looked around Anfield for the last time and strode out into the car park to an uncertain future. It is thought that they might try their luck in the American MLS league as the Liverpool Lassoes.

Meanwhile, Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City are among the frontrunners to take their place under Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers said: “Clubs come and go. But there always has been Brendan Rodgers and there always will be. He always walks alone.”

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You think Rodgers wanted to sell Suarez? Geez! Of course he didn't, but after the biting incident LFC had to let him go; it was an ethical decision (rare in football, I know) but they couldn't condone his behaviour by allowing him to continue in a Liverpool shirt. Of course, they had to get the best possible fee for him - that was just damage limitation.

And as for having no idea about how to replace him, if you've got any bright ideas about how to replace Suarez, I'm sure the world of football is waiting with baited breath ........

ethical decision? that is laughable, if it was down to that they would have sold him after the first biting incident or the ban for racism.

You are right, he id difficult to replace, however If I was a manager trying to replace him I wouldn't have done it with Lambert (and never play him) and Mario (never play him then blame him for the seasons woes)

Sanchez was lined up to sign then they took to much time he ended up going to Arsenal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
ethical decision? that is laughable, if it was down to that they would have sold him after the first biting incident or the ban for racism.
Not laughable at all. LFC and Rodgers in particular had worked really hard to rehabilitate and reform him - counselling and support. Just as any good club would. And than the shite went and threw it all back in their faces, and it was clear that after that his face would never be acceptable in a Liverpool shirt again.
Agree that signing Ballotelli was a sh1te idea though.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I love to see Liverpool struggling. They've done naff all (apart from their CL win in 2005) for a good few years, and haven't been a big club in all the time i've watched football. The epitome of a club being stuck in the past. No team are fearful of playing Liverpool anymore.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Liverpool have been gash all season. Great fun to watch. If they hold on to Brendan it will be another awful season. Happy days for fans of all other clubs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not laughable at all. LFC and Rodgers in particular had worked really hard to rehabilitate and reform him - counselling and support. Just as any good club would. And than the shite went and threw it all back in their faces, and it was clear that after that his face would never be acceptable in a Liverpool shirt again.
Agree that signing Ballotelli was a sh1te idea though.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

It was absolutely nothing to do with it being an "ethical decision" - you don't bin off a 30-goal a season striker because of "ethics". The fact is, his head was turned by a bigger club and the chance of a big money move. Liverpool knew they couldn't keep hold of him once Barcelona wanted him, so they cashed in, simple as that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I love to see Liverpool struggling. They've done naff all (apart from their CL win in 2005) for a good few years, and haven't been a big club in all the time i've watched football. The epitome of a club being stuck in the past. No team are fearful of playing Liverpool anymore.

Yup. And just to drive home the point, they've got an "Instanbul Reunion Night" tonight, 10 years on http://www.echoarena.com/whats-on/the-istanbul-reunion-night/

Ask any Liverpool fan to name the greatest match in the club’s illustrious history and the chances are they’ll say ‘Istanbul’. Well Istanbul comes to the Echo Arena Liverpool for an incredible night on 25 May 2015, marking the 10th anniversary of that incredible night in the Ataturk Stadium where red-shirted heroes carved their names with pride to see Liverpool claim their fifth European Cup crown.

And a decade to the day, Monday 25 May 2015 those same Liverpool players will be gathering to celebrate that anniversary at the Echo Arena - and you can be there to join them for an exclusive one-night only event, The Istanbul Reunion Night.

We’ll be reliving the game with comments and commentary from those at the heart of the Miracle of Istanbul. They’ll take you through the build-up, the nerves, the tortured emotions as Milan went 3-0 up.

But they’ll also talk about the sheer enormity of the comeback, the tension of the penalty shoot-out and, finally, the euphoria of seeing Steven Gerrard hoist the cup above his head as Liverpool sealed their place in history.

Jamie Carragher Liverpool’s vice-captain on the night said: "If the fans who were in Istanbul on the night come and create that same atmosphere, the roof will come off the Arena.”

:facepalm:

Liverpool. OBSESSED with history. Because the present and the future is still looking pretty much bollocksed for the foreseeable.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't recall them saying that. One had been unsettled by a team in the division above - the premier league treated as the destination in which all footballers to want to play. He claimed he had trouble focusing and, according to the club, the manager decided not to use him. A second player tried to be professional and keep playing, but later admitted he probably had, despite his best efforts, become distracted.

I don't recall either being disparaging about the albion.
It's not the furthest stones throw from what you've said there, to my plagiarising of Herr's original quote.

They might not have actually said anything disparaging, but they both certainly acted like they didn't give a shit about Brighton.

CMS was one more injury away from, no contract, no club, no football, but that didn't stop him from trying.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
boxed_shirt.png

"This Limited Edition Istanbul 10th Anniversary Boxed Shirt has been exclusively brought to you to commemorate Liverpool FC's victory against AC Milan in Turkey on 25th May 2005. It has been hand signed by former Liverpool stars Xabi Alonso, Vladimir Smicer and Jerzy Dudek, and includes:

•Limited edition commemorative coin
•20 limited edition prints in a presentation sleeve, each telling a unique part of the Istanbul story
•Certificate of authenticity
•Luxury printed tissue paper and presentation box

There are only 2005 of these signed shirts available, offering fans a great opportunity to capture and celebrate an amazing victory in the Club's history.

This limited edition box set is available to pre-order, and will be dispatched week commencing 25th May 2015.

A priceless and limited edition, "ONLY" 2005 have been made.

£300

:lolol:

(Did Dudek, Smicer and Alonso REALLY "hand sign" 2,500 shirts to make this old tat ??)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

It was absolutely nothing to do with it being an "ethical decision" - you don't bin off a 30-goal a season striker because of "ethics". The fact is, his head was turned by a bigger club and the chance of a big money move. Liverpool knew they couldn't keep hold of him once Barcelona wanted him, so they cashed in, simple as that.

Don't let the facts get in the way. He wasn't going anywhere until after that bite.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not the furthest stones throw from what you've said there, to my plagiarising of Herr's original quote.

They might not have actually said anything disparaging, but they both certainly acted like they didn't give a shit about Brighton.

CMS was one more injury away from, no contract, no club, no football, but that didn't stop him from trying.

I disagree. Saying you don't give a shit about a club goes beyond honesty.

We all, deep down, accept that football clubs are generally just employers to footballers. There is no great love for any particular team. But as long as a player is respectful when they go, there are generally no hard feelings.

Bridcutt didn't act perfectly, but the club and he were professional about it, any official words from them or their representatives trying to play down everything. As they were with Buckley, who did keep trying as much as he could, at least.

That is quite different to saying you don't give a shit about a team. Quite different to giving an unsanctioned interview to criticise the club. Quite different to instructing your agent to be as disrespectful as Sterling's is alleged to have been.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
When I was a boy it was a great source of pride that English clubs won 7 consecutive European cups from 1977-1984. Liverpool 4 Forest 2 Aston Villa 1

This is arguably the greatest achievement in English football including 1966.

For this reason I hope Liverpool will come back to be the great club they were.

Last season was so close to winning an unexpected league title.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I was a boy it was a great source of pride that English clubs won 7 consecutive European cups from 1977-1984. Liverpool 4 Forest 2 Aston Villa 1

This is arguably the greatest achievement in English football including 1966.

This is quite incredible really. Has any other country done similar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here