Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool fans stuck at Dover

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Are you for real? Anti -Irish?:facepalm:

Most of the anti Liverpool FC stuff on this forum is aimed at plastic supporters of the club that have never been anywhere near Anfield. Especially when there is a pub in Brighton that’s decorated with LFC flags and the “TV fans” that go in there call themselves the Brighton Kop.
When I was at junior school in Brighton most of my classmates “supported” Liverpool, I will also avoid any pub showing football in Newhaven today because there will be shirt wearing “TV fans” in there.

For the record I have no issues with the people of Liverpool.

Personally I won’t be laughing at real Liverpool fans that are stuck at Dover, especially if they are actually going to the match.

But if the anti-Liverpool sentiment on here is only because of their "plastic" following then why all the "jokes" about nicking wheels and always being the victim? I've also certainly seen derogatory comments about the Irish ancestory of a large proportion of Scousers by EDL/Brexity types. I think that there is a type racism towards Liverpudlians particularly by fans of London clubs, and I thinks it's pathetic seeing Albion fans coming out with the same crap...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Are you for real? :ffsparr:

Yes there has historically been large anti-Irish sentiment aimed at the people of Liverpool about half of whom are descended from poor immigrants from the 19th century. That kind of sentiment is not confined to football, as a non Liverpudlian, I have seen it many times.

And yeah, you personally don't have a problem with genuine reds from Liverpool that is great, we all know plastics, they are all around us in the south, but taking pleasure in travel difficulties for real fans and lazy stereotyping is ungenerous to say the least.

I’ll be open about it. I like Liverpool fans as much as I do Leeds fans. I don’t like Leeds fans as they have a large proportion of their fan base that do their best to emulate their stereotype, likewise for Liverpool.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But if the anti-Liverpool sentiment on here is only because of their "plastic" following then why all the "jokes" about nicking wheels and always being the victim? I've also certainly seen derogatory comments about the Irish ancestory of a large proportion of Scousers by EDL/Brexity types. I think that there is a type racism towards Liverpudlians particularly by fans of London clubs, and I thinks it's pathetic seeing Albion fans coming out with the same crap...

When we hear the disrespectful booing of our Natiional Anthem and Abide With Me, and Liverpool fans calling themselves “Scouse Not English” it helps to re affirm our thoughts that as Albion and England fans we have little in common

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’ll be open about it. I like Liverpool fans as much as I do Leeds fans. I don’t like Leeds fans as they have a large proportion of their fan base that do their best to emulate their stereotype, likewise for Liverpool.

Most their fanbase (Liverpool) is not from there. Actual Scousers are in my experience very knowledgeable about other clubs (unlike Arsenal,Tottenham, Chelsea fans I know who are from those areas). I was living there in the mid 90's and I was often amazed about how much they knew about the plight of our club and the many good wishes and congratulations as I walked across Stanley Park after our great escape at Hereford.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When we hear the disrespectful booing of our Natiional Anthem and Abide With Me, and Liverpool fans calling themselves “Scouse Not English” it helps to re affirm our thoughts that as Albion and England fans we have little in common

Not doubting you but I wasn’t aware of any of this; I seem to have even more in common with my Scouse brothers and sisters then I thought :lolol:

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Most their fanbase (Liverpool) is not from there. Actual Scousers are in my experience very knowledgeable about other clubs (unlike Arsenal,Tottenham, Chelsea fans I know who are from those areas). I was living there in the mid 90's and I was often amazed about how much they knew about the plight of our club and the many good wishes and congratulations as I walked across Stanley Park after our great escape at Hereford.

I’ve walked across Stanley Park on more than one occasion. I’ve had coppers with nightsticks yelling at Albion fans to stop singing as it wound up the locals, and another time had Scally’s dropping down out of the trees they were hiding in to attack Albion fans with their mate Stanley. Please forgive me when I don’t fall for the love in.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Did you smash up your telly in disgust, like right thinking people did when Steve Jones swore on the Bill Grundy programme?

:facepalm:

Abide with me' has a special connection for me, it was the favourite hymn of my nan who lived through so much. So just a bit disappointed, especially as, as someone said earlier in the thread that many people confused it with the national anthem. This wasn't irreverence, and ignorance isn't something to be celebrated.

On the subject of the Sex pistols interview with Bill Grundy, I didn't think much of it at the time, certainly wasn't offended, Grundy was a pompous old git and the Pistols were just a bunch of silly schoolkids out to shock, absolutely no different to my grandchildren seeing how far they can push things. Don't tell me you're hanging on to this as some kind of seminal event of youth culture.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve walked across Stanley Park on more than one occasion. I’ve had coppers with nightsticks yelling at Albion fans to stop singing as it wound up the locals, and another time had Scally’s dropping down out of the trees they were hiding in to attack Albion fans with their mate Stanley. Please forgive me when I don’t fall for the love in.

What love in ? Just a few people who either live here now or have done so in the past correcting some ignorant misconceptions. It’s a scorching day up here in Merseyside. Loads of people out enjoying themselves and supporting their local team. All good.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Understandable given your experience then. I know two ex hooligans from Liverpool's firm back from the 80's and they were really not very pleasant then. One was, ironically an Evertonian but went along with Liverpool as the violence was 'better'. My experience however is the opposite. Who is having a 'love-in'? I am certainly not. That comment has to be ironic given this thread.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've been to Anfield on 3 occasions by car, and twice had to return as a foot passenger (as my first Peugeot and then my next Astra were both nicked). Regardless of this I still want Liverpool to win and my views are not tainted by previous bad experiences of visiting the city.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

This coming from an area which likes to call itself the People’s Republic of Brighton & Hove.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I lived in Liverpool 88-95. Went to anfield many times, at that time nearly all the fans were local. Anfield is an incredibly socially deprived area, I never felt intimidated or in danger going to games. Scousers are generally incredibly friendly and welcoming. Yes there were the ‘scallies’ young nut jobs looking for a fight but you get those in every town/city. Liverpool is a real family club, a club of the city that has loyal fans. As a city they have have been through some tough times, and the supporters had to endure the tragedy if hillsborough. I have nothing but respect for the people of Liverpool, a few imbeciles on here need to grow up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Abide with me' has a special connection for me, it was the favourite hymn of my nan who lived through so much. So just a bit disappointed, especially as, as someone said earlier in the thread that many people confused it with the national anthem. This wasn't irreverence, and ignorance isn't something to be celebrated.

On the subject of the Sex pistols interview with Bill Grundy, I didn't think much of it at the time, certainly wasn't offended, Grundy was a pompous old git and the Pistols were just a bunch of silly schoolkids out to shock, absolutely no different to my grandchildren seeing how far they can push things. Don't tell me you're hanging on to this as some kind of seminal event of youth culture.

Apologies. The personal angle of course makes a difference.

No, I wasn't hanging on to anything. I was just emoting.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I lived in Liverpool 88-95. Went to anfield many times, at that time nearly all the fans were local. Anfield is an incredibly socially deprived area, I never felt intimidated or in danger going to games. Scousers are generally incredibly friendly and welcoming. Yes there were the ‘scallies’ young nut jobs looking for a fight but you get those in every town/city. Liverpool is a real family club, a club of the city that has loyal fans. As a city they have have been through some tough times, and the supporters had to endure the tragedy if hillsborough. I have nothing but respect for the people of Liverpool, a few imbeciles on here need to grow up.

I lived for a year within a hundred yards of the Kop. It was as you say...rough.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This coming from an area which likes to call itself the People’s Republic of Brighton & Hove.

I think it’s the JCLs (with the fanciful Ultras tag) that call it this. Sorry if I’ve missed the joke

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Now there's a word I've not heard since my basic training days. Bunked with a mix of jocks, geordies and scousers... including a sticky fingered scrote from Birkenhead. This 'scally' was taught a vital lesson by the other Liverpudlians, don't touch other peoples stuff or your fingers get broken!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I lived for a year within a hundred yards of the Kop. It was as you say...rough.

Still is !

Now there's a word I've not heard since my basic training days. Bunked with a mix of jocks, geordies and scousers... including a sticky fingered scrote from Birkenhead. This 'scally' was taught a vital lesson by the other Liverpudlians, don't touch other peoples stuff or your fingers get broken!

The North End of Birkenhead is a tough area as well but they aren’t Liverpudlians or Scousers, or so they tell me. That’s despite being only 5 miles from Anfield, sounding exactly like Scousers and supporting the blues or the reds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here