Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool fans protest

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ok, to clarify, what I am saying is a non story is the highlighting of the £77 ticket which, if you look at how many seats it affect is, in my opinion a complete non story. The board at Liverpool are being forced to look at it because of threats to boycott sponsors etc. From a PR point of view they would be stupid to ignore it.

This year it maybe 1200 elite seats but if nothing is said could that number become 2000, 3000 or 5000 seat at £80 next year, by picking this small number are trying to keep the morale high ground whilst testing the waters? I think they have their answer if the reaction had not happened this could have been the start of a slipper slope - we just don't know what their long term plan is/was.

Pricing has become obscene and I support their protest.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sorry, but what price hike are you actually talking about, bearing in mind the club report that 45% of season tickets will be cheaper next year?

I would suggest that the traditional 'working class' fan has already been priced out of the game.

Why are you arguing so hard in favour of price increases?

Do you not agree that continued increases will have a detrimental effect on stadium atmosphere?

Do you not feel that in light of the new TV deal, fans should see a reduction in ticket prices?

For clarification regarding the Liverpool situation, follow this LINK

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This year it maybe 1200 elite seats but if nothing is said could that number become 2000, 3000 or 5000 seat at £80 next year, by picking this small number are trying to keep the morale high ground whilst testing the waters? I think they have their answer if the reaction had not happened this could have been the start of a slipper slope - we just don't know what their long term plan is/was.

Good for you, Presumably you have stopped going to football then. Suspect you also don't have Sky Sports subscription either.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ok, to clarify, what I am saying is a non story is the highlighting of the £77 ticket which, if you look at how many seats it affect is, in my opinion a complete non story. The board at Liverpool are being forced to look at it because of threats to boycott sponsors etc. From a PR point of view they would be stupid to ignore it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why are you arguing so hard in favour of price increases?

Do you not agree that continued increases will have a detrimental effect on stadium atmosphere?

Do you not feel that in light of the new TV deal, fans should see a reduction in ticket prices?

For clarification regarding the Liverpool situation, follow this LINK

I'm not arguing for price increases. I agree with others in that foreign owners are screwing over English clubs.

The link is good but I'm sure you will agree, none of that has been reported, just the £77.

i have been watching football for 40 years and prices have always gone up and people have always complained. Supply and demand. If there are people that will pay the price then they will charge it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm not arguing for price increases. I agree with others in that foreign owners are screwing over English clubs.

The link is good but I'm sure you will agree, none of that has been reported, just the £77.

i have been watching football for 40 years and prices have always gone up and people have always complained. Supply and demand. If there are people that will pay the price then they will charge it.
That's all well and good but if the people who can pay are not local and the people who can't are, then the heart and soul of the football club is torn out. Imagine if we do very well over the next few seasons and suddenly there are loads of fans from elsewhere who half fill the stadium due to prohibitive pricing of tickets. All we fought for, or certainly a large part would be lost.

I repeat that I think that the 77 quid ticket is a catalyst however significant or otherwise it may be in itself. Football prices are at a pivotal tipping point, there is a genuine chance that this protest will be followed by others which could alter pricing structures across the game. We should support the Liverpool fans.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

I know what you are saying regarding supply and demand, and appreciate the logic, but football is illogical.

It is a business that has never been healthier, never had so much money sloshing around, yet most clubs are still mired in debt.

We are lucky to have a true fan as our owner, but for the sake of the sport we should stand shoulder to shoulder with our rivals fans, who are not so lucky.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the only meaningful and long term way to support the Liverpool fans on this matter is to call upon our clubs, collectively, to reign in spending on wages, transfers and agents fees. all the time we demand more success, more "quality" players, at ever higher cost, then the clubs will put up the prices. maybe a petition to cap club spending or some other means, would drive this message forward.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know what you are saying regarding supply and demand, and appreciate the logic, but football is illogical.

It is a business that has never been healthier, never had so much money sloshing around, yet most clubs are still mired in debt.

We are lucky to have a true fan as our owner, but for the sake of the sport we should stand shoulder to shoulder with our rivals fans, who are not so lucky.

You're right, it never has been healthier and that is probably entirely due to the attractiveness of the Premier League and, ergo the TV rights it brings in. That is probably due to the players that the clubs spend a fortune on and that the fans demand to see. Apparently, Liverpool posted their first profit for 7 years last year. I also suspect the Premier League clubs will be looking over their shoulder at China and the money they are throwing into football and how they will compete with them.

As for us, we are mired in debt but, as you say, it is to a true fan.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Good for you, Presumably you have stopped going to football then. Suspect you also don't have Sky Sports subscription either.

Your first comeback is irrelevant as I do not pay anywhere near that price for my ST so no and your second the answer is never have had Sky Sports and never will so you suspect right.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Nearly all the money goes on players wages. Until there is a wage cap prices will be high. A cap on players wages is the only way to keep prices low as far as I can see.
Someone on five live yesterday said football is an entertainment industry and used an analogy of the opera, saying if you cant afford to go to Glyndebourne for the Opera because it's too expensive then tough, the same should apply to football. Is that right? Should you only be able to watch football you can afford to support? Doesn't sound right to me but it is quite a solid argument.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Liverpool FC is merely the tip of the iceberg. I don't really know specifically why they are protesting and I'm sure there are politics involved, but if it is under the banner "football is far too expensive" then I'm happy it is receiving the coverage it deserves. Football fans should be sick to the back teeth of unscrupulous profiteering billionaires utterly fleecing fans for short term gain. Man Utd fans should be full square behind them after the disgusting manner they were taken over, and the way they are forced to buy cup tickets. Same goes for Villa fans and the way their owners are bleeding that club dry. And there are so many others.

It is to the FA's shame that we have got to this.

It wouldn't happen in Germany, it really wouldn't.

Do many football club owners make gains from running the their clubs ? The fans demand top dollar signings, but moan when ticket prices go up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
the only meaningful and long term way to support the Liverpool fans on this matter is to call upon our clubs, collectively, to reign in spending on wages, transfers and agents fees. all the time we demand more success, more "quality" players, at ever higher cost, then the clubs will put up the prices. maybe a petition to cap club spending or some other means, would drive this message forward.

Agree, I think this should be a catalyst for widespread protests from all fans across the country at how much football is costing. Collective action will drive that message. I think supporters around the country should start to do the same thing, otherwise it won't change. I'm not saying our club charges too much, but football fans need to start standing together on the costs.

IF we were to go up, we're looking at a fair few away games being at least £50 per ticket, some £70. Simply too much.

I see Dortmund fans boycotted the first 20mins of their match the other day at the rising cost of football (and theirs is a lot cheaper than ours!), and they threw tennis balls onto the pitch to emphasis their point....
CazJ1PHWwAERbI8.png

020916-Soccer-Dortmund-Fans-Protest-IA-CH-2.vadapt.664.high.77.jpg

_88191851_gettyimages-509208896.jpg

New balls please....

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do many football club owners make gains from running the their clubs ? The fans demand top dollar signings, but moan when ticket prices go up.
Those football club owners don't buy clubs to make money, they do it for the glory or to give something back.

Fans of the biggest clubs do demand top dollar signings, certainly. But if they don't sign, it isn't usually because they're not being paid enough to the extent that by bumping ticket prices up from £55 to £77 would allow that signing to happen. This is because ticket sales are now a drop in the ocean compared to other streams of revenue.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Vote for Jeremy Corbyn and this would get sorted out.

Cap on player pay.
Low maximum ticket prices.
Full grounds with free tickets for those that need them.

Simple.

Possibly would result in a drain of toptop players to somewhere they could get paid more - but a higher percentage of homegrown talent could flourish and the England team would benefit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

The Premier League made a collective operating profit of £614 million in 2014.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Nearly all the money goes on players wages. Until there is a wage cap prices will be high. A cap on players wages is the only way to keep prices low as far as I can see.
Someone on five live yesterday said football is an entertainment industry and used an analogy of the opera, saying if you cant afford to go to Glyndebourne for the Opera because it's too expensive then tough, the same should apply to football. Is that right? Should you only be able to watch football you can afford to support? Doesn't sound right to me but it is quite a solid argument.

The person on the radio who said that going to football is akin to going to the Opera is wrong.

When you go to the Opera or the Theatre the audience must remain silent for the cast to perform. At a football match the audience is actively encouraged to cheer thier to team help them to perform.

A football club is a partnership between the team and its supporters, when they perform well we cheer, and equally when they are not performing, we cheer them on and they can raise they performance.

All the time we hear quotes from players and managers saying how much the support from the crowd helps, yet many club's owners only see us as customers, and forget that we are also the twelfth man.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not sure this has already been mentioned, but a Liverpool fan was being interviewed on Talksport the other evening about what he thought.
He said that him and his son were given flyers on the impending walkout, he replied he would not be doing so.
Had a good point to give, that instead of walking out at matches, hit the club in the pocket by not buying merchandise at the clubs shop, food and drink outlets.
Which I thought was better.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Scouse **** at work is now saying that Liverpool fans are doing such a good job by highlighting prices that other fans ought to be thankful to them. He believes that the 20 is Plenty campaign obviously wasn't working and their fans should be applauded for being so selfless.

Not for themselves then?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure this has already been mentioned, but a Liverpool fan was being interviewed on Talksport the other evening about what he thought.
He said that him and his son were given flyers on the impending walkout, he replied he would not be doing so.
Had a good point to give, that instead of walking out at matches, hit the club in the pocket by not buying merchandise at the clubs shop, food and drink outlets.
Which I thought was better.

Wouldn't make the front page of every national newspaper, discussed on every sport radio programme, and tv shows though would it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here