Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool at Falmer next season? (Merged)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Man, that is hilarious...they could run out at Falmer to a deafening chorus of "are you Pompey in disguise?"

I could never comprehend the argument that they wouldn't face a points deduction; it seemed to be borne out of ignorance (of, for example, Southampton's case before them) rather than any actual logic. Still, with a takeover now looking likely, I'd be pretty surprising if RBS forced the holding company into administration.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am sure that they authorities recently said that they will not face a points deduction if they enter administration as they would still be solvent. I'm not sure how that works.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I am sure that they authorities recently said that they will not face a points deduction if they enter administration as they would still be solvent. I'm not sure how that works.

Something to do with the holding company, not the actual football club going into administration I believe.

Something to do with the holding company, not the actual football club going into administration I believe.

Ah, I found this on the Guardian website;
Liverpool FC will avoid points deduction if sale is blocked | Football | guardian.co.uk

That would not, however, lead to an automatic points deduction – the Premier League have clarified the rules regarding parent companies so that if the club itself is a fully solvent entity, as Liverpool is, then the penalty clause should not apply.

A Premier League source said: "The aim of the regulations is primarily to capture clubs who have gone into insolvency. This is manifestly not the case with Liverpool Football Club." Last year West Ham United's Icelandic owners went into administration but it did not lead to any Premier League action as the club itself was solvent.

I can see the point; however if the company that owns the club is in administration that surely has implications for the cash flow of the club itself?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I could never comprehend the argument that they wouldn't face a points deduction;

its because being in debt or even insolvent is not the same thing as being in administration. if no creditor calls in administrators then they arent in administration. RBS is unlikly to do so as long as the repaymnets on the loan continue to be made (gt more as penalty clauses due to payment in full missed?). there is then the further complications of holding companies, it could be argued that as the debt is with the parent and the Liverpool FC itself is solvent, there would be no grounds for it to be put into administration. although as the only asset of the parent, that means they might.

its complex. i think the claims they will go in to admin this week are headlines for senationalism. we saw how long these things take to go through the motions, with palace, pompey, westham, and a half dozen others.

Didn't the holding company of Southampton go into administration and hence a points deduction?

Yes - but as the article points out so did West Ham's without a deduction.

The issue with Southampton and Liverpool is that the football club is the only going concern owned by the holding company, whereas West Ham was only a small part of the Icelandic firm's portfolio. What is likely is that they won't get the points deduction solely because they are a big club, and there will be some kind of obscure technical reason used to defend it instead of what we all know is the real reason.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't the holding company of Southampton go into administration and hence a points deduction?

Yep.
Southampton tried to argue that it was the holding company in administration and not the club, but the FL were having none of it and deducted the points accordingly.

Liverpool WILL be treated differently though because, well, they're Liverpool arn't they.

its because being in debt or even insolvent is not the same thing as being in administration. if no creditor calls in administrators then they arent in administration. RBS is unlikly to do so as long as the repaymnets on the loan continue to be made (gt more as penalty clauses due to payment in full missed?). there is then the further complications of holding companies, it could be argued that as the debt is with the parent and the Liverpool FC itself is solvent, there would be no grounds for it to be put into administration. although as the only asset of the parent, that means they might.

its complex. i think the claims they will go in to admin this week are headlines for senationalism. we saw how long these things take to go through the motions, with palace, pompey, westham, and a half dozen others.

Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. I can't see the club entering administration anyway; with at least one buyer lined up, and the club itself solvent, a worst-case scenario it seems to me would be RBS taking ownership of the club in lieu of money owed and then selling it on almost immediately.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...a worst-case scenario it seems to me would be RBS taking ownership of the club in lieu of money owed and then selling it on almost immediately.

exactly.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you go to the 1901 club presentation in the marketing hut, I kid you not, there are images on the walls of the dining and bar areas, and on the tables in these images is the matchday program and restaurant menu, and the fixture on them is.....

Brighton v Liverpool

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Yep.

Liverpool WILL be treated differently though because, well, they're Liverpool arn't they.

This.

One of the supposed big four (?) will never be allowed to have a points deduction.

Bindippers deserve all that is coming to them. Greed took them down the road of messrs G&H, well repent at leisure you greedy feckers when they screw you over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here