Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool are the next club to announce furloughing non playing staff.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Well, he sued them (or rather Virgin Care did), so yes! Unlikely scenario such that it is, imagine the response if a footballer did similar.....

Not really 100 percent accurate - I’m no fan of RB - but I believe the NHS refusing to review the process was the issue

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Just out of interest - do you think the NHS should be able to run their procurement processes however they like without any recourse? The NHS chose to pay compensation to VirginCare rather than re-run the tender process again which is what VirginCare asked for.

I've heard of similar 'murky' tender processes within the NHS which if you challenge you basically get told if you ever want to run NHS business again you should step down. This has even involved non-compliant bids winning because they were cheap!

Not really 100 percent accurate - I’m no fan of RB - but I believe the NHS refusing to review the process was the issue

I know little about the case - I'm really just making a point about how footballers are perceived vs others. Sure, 100k signed a petition about Branson but it blew over......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back to Liverpool: I've seen various sources suggesting that the wage bill of the staff Liverpool intend to furlough for the next three months is likely to be around £1m.

ONE MILLION POUNDS. For a club who made £42m profit last year. A club who won riches from the Champions League. A club who have a number of individual players on the books who earn that amount every three weeks. A club who disingenuously announced in the media release revealing this scheme that "all staff will receive 100% of their salary", leading plenty of their more dimwitted fans to believe Liverpool would be the ones paying that, when in fact their club's generosity extends to paying a mere 20% of that. A club who bang on tediously about never walking alone, which, it turns out, simply means that they think 65 million UK taxpayers should be walking with them. A club whose nauseating tagline has, for a couple of years, been "This Means More". The "more", presumably being "money from everyone else's pockets to pay our staff".

I accept things have gone globally tits up. I accept that times are hard and going to get harder. But for a football club of their stature to decide, in the first MONTH of this catastrophe, that they can't even be arsed to pay Jurgen Klopp's office cleaner his/her (no doubt minimum) wage for three months...well it sticks in my throat. Surely they could have found a million quid somewhere to say "look, we'll keep everyone on for now and review it at the end of June"?

If I had previously harboured any hopes of this season resuming, it's all gone now. I hope they void the bloody thing and leave them to chirp on forever, Chesterfield-style, about how they were "the real Champions" while everyone else just yawns and points to the history books that show this season never finished. I hope the next time they sign a player for ninety million quid and three hundred grand a week they receive all the vitriol they deserve.

Just Liverpool then? So Newcastle, Spurs, Norwich and Bournemouth are OK then? - after all, they're not Liverpool ............................

.......................... and by the way, those despised 'chirpers' are coming out in droves, furious with their club, and wanting them to reverse the decision to scrounge off the government.

And btw, yes, of course it sticks in my throat too - as do the actions of Newcastle, Spurs, Norwich and Bournemouth.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I would imagine there are loads of big wealthy companies using this furlough option- not just football clubs- I guess these clubs are just more in the public eye and have highly paid players.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I would imagine there are loads of big wealthy companies using this furlough option- not just football clubs- I guess these clubs are just more in the public eye and have highly paid players.
Highly paid players that are still being paid full wages not limited to 2500 despite not working. If clubs can afford to pay players they can pay non-players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My experience of furloughing is drastically hammering the top and middle earners while us drones are left to carry on regardless.

If IF companies come out the other end of this I guess a consequence might mean a lot less middle managers.

I have no idea if that's representative.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So the players accept to take a 30 percent cut, who benefits?

It’s the owners .

The club and players should be working together. So far the owners claim free money and the players say ‘so what’.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Spurs getting off lightly

Perhaps so. But LFC have set themselves up as THE community club, the one that cares. Their current mantra has been ‘this means more’, perhaps it should be changed to ‘above criticism’.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Highly paid players that are still being paid full wages not limited to 2500 despite not working. If clubs can afford to pay players they can pay non-players.

Big wealthy companies will have high earners still being paid 100%. And will be furloughing front line staff. The only difference I can see with football clubs is that they are more prominent in the public eye and the wages of players are more public.

I’m not defending the clubs doing it, I’m just saying there are probably many many other companies in similar circumstances doing the same thing. Maybe they should all be targeted for the sort of vitriol the clubs are getting?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know little about the case - I'm really just making a point about how footballers are perceived vs others. Sure, 100k signed a petition about Branson but it blew over......

120k people voted for boaty mcboatface lol

We are not a country take seriously when it comes to petitions 😂

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
120k people voted for boaty mcboatface lol

We are not a country take seriously when it comes to petitions 😂
All that shows is 120k people were right.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure Liverpool have done much the same, but nobody is talking about that.
Such a massive own goal from the scousers:-

[tweet]1247137499689992192[/tweet]

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
You make a good point, it did make me think about how the likes of multi billionaire Richard Branson made use of the furlough scheme within (what felt like minutes) of it being announced (it was like he had prior notice....) and is now courting the government for a bailout for his airline. Yet, appear to escape the wrath of the public. Footballers, wealthy & privileged that they are, do appear to be an easy target.....

Believe me, Branson is getting it in the neck from the financial press

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
You make a good point, it did make me think about how the likes of multi billionaire Richard Branson made use of the furlough scheme within (what felt like minutes) of it being announced (it was like he had prior notice....) and is now courting the government for a bailout for his airline. Yet, appear to escape the wrath of the public. Footballers, wealthy & privileged that they are, do appear to be an easy target.....

Branson is putting in $250 million to help to the Virgin Group which includes the airlines and the new cruise venture.
I understand the UK gov had insisted that airlines go down the private investment route first before getting any bailout.

Info here: https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/branson-invests-us250m-to-sustain-virgin-group/

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Perhaps so. But LFC have set themselves up as THE community club, the one that cares. Their current mantra has been ‘this means more’, perhaps it should be changed to ‘above criticism’.

That's the thing for me.

No one is condoning the other clubs in any way, but Liverpool make such a huge thing about the deprived, caring city thing. We're all scousers who love and look after each other etc etc The club unites us etc etc. Working class club with an amazing history etc etc.

Maybe Henderson can arrange another conference call and enter into negotiations with the 1st team about what they might be able to do to help....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Andy Naylor today tweeted that the board is yet to sanction furlough, but preparing for it to protect jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here