Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
That's your scenario, but not everybody is the same.

Sky subscribers can't get BT Sport for a fiver. And BT Sports don't offer a day/weekly pass.

And back to the broader point, if BT Sport didn't exist, Champions League would probably still be shared on Sky and terrestrial.

The logical evolution will be a Premier League subscription. Costing more than either, but less than both. Get the content direct from the source. Sell highlights and simulcast 'big' games on other networks, but stream every fixture, every team, every weekend. Broadcast classics (which I assume they'll have the rights for), interviews, previews and roundups. Have programming curated for each market with local presenters and focusing on whatever that market values.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Executives at the 6 clubs involved in wanting to form the ESL have been forced to resign their advisory roles at The Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56931186

The 14 other Premier League clubs felt betrayed by the move and demanded that executives involved, including Manchester United's Ed Woodward, Liverpool's Tom Werner and Manchester City's Ferran Soriano, step down.

Woodward and Werner will no longer sit on the Premier League's club broadcast advisory group.

Soriano and Arsenal's chief executive Vinai Venkatesham will be removed from the club strategic advisory group, while Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck will no longer be on the audit and remuneration committee.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The logical evolution will be a Premier League subscription. Costing more than either, but less than both. Get the content direct from the source. Sell highlights and simulcast 'big' games on other networks, but stream every fixture, every team, every weekend. Broadcast classics (which I assume they'll have the rights for), interviews, previews and roundups. Have programming curated for each market with local presenters and focusing on whatever that market values.

Agreed. I am amazed / surprised that the PL have not taken this in-house and built their own platforms to sell out directly to consumers, cutting out Sky, BT Sport etc. The US have been doing that for a long time

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Fine line between pessimism and reality. How is the German model going to work with privately owned businesses, can you see TB selling half the value of his shares or any other Chairman for that matter.
The bigger clubs have highlighted a desire for a bigger slice of the pie and that desire ain't going away. Changes will be made, probably to the Champions League, I can see it becoming fewer sides participating but with the same revenue streams of sponsorship and advertising hence bigger income for the bigger clubs.

The government need to legally enforce the German ownership model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Leaving aside how the government would force it through, what issues do you see with the system in England specifically?

Firstly, it is basically a form of nationalisation. With regard to the likes of Utd and Liverpool, what fan groups could afford 51% of the current valuation and what owner of those clubs is going to quietly relinquish control? Look at City and Chelsea, you can hardly argue that they have suffered because of the involvement of owners with 100% control.

Likewise, further down the leagues, there are plenty of clubs that benefit from having a rich benefactor. Clubs have been losing money so who's going to fund those losses when 51% of ownership is in the hands of fans? We epitomise the right side of 100% ownership by one person (near as damn it). I'd be interested to know if they are crying out for this model in any other country?

Also, what is so great about the german league? One team have won it for the last 9 years!

What needs to change are better rules that retain the ideal of status through what happens on the pitch. There needs to be better scrutiny of new owners coming into the game (too late for those already in control). For starters, I'd remove this ridiculous coefficient for getting in the champions league.

The greedy six did what they did because of weakness at Uefa, weakness at Fifa and weakness with the FA. Each time they demand things the governing bodies compromise to the benefit of big clubs and the detriment of everyone else. That needs to stop.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've started to imagine a Premier League without the 'big 6' (Arsenal & Tottingham's inclusion still cracks me up) and their places offered up too:-

Rangers
Celtic
(Kinda have too)
Ajax
Roma
Napoli
Athletico Bilbao
(I've always wanted to go to San Sebastian and that's near enough)

Some cracking teams, cities and games as well as trips to Scotchland.

So far the governance of Stat's Premier League+ has:-

- Any relegated teams returns back from whens they came.
- The Big 6 can rejoin, when it doesn't work out, but have to begin in Div 3.
- They can only return to SPL+ by buying out one of the 'guest' teams.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I've started to imagine a Premier League without the 'big 6' (Arsenal & Tottingham's inclusion still cracks me up) and their places offered up too:-

Rangers
Celtic
(Kinda have too)
Ajax
Roma
Napoli
Athletico Bilbao
(I've always wanted to go to San Sebastian and that's near enough)

Some cracking teams, cities and games as well as trips to Scotchland.

So far the governance of Stat's Premier League+ has:-

- Any relegated teams returns back from whens they came.
- The Big 6 can rejoin, when it doesn't work out, but have to begin in Div 3.
- They can only return to SPL+ by buying out one of the 'guest' teams.

Why not have Real Sociedad, who actually play in San Sebastian?
They also have an elegant version of the blue and white stripes too

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why not have Real Sociedad, who actually play in San Sebastian?
They also have an elegant version of the blue and white stripes too

Happy days, you can have a place on the selection committee.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Firstly, it is basically a form of nationalisation. With regard to the likes of Utd and Liverpool, what fan groups could afford 51% of the current valuation and what owner of those clubs is going to quietly relinquish control? Look at City and Chelsea, you can hardly argue that they have suffered because of the involvement of owners with 100% control.

Likewise, further down the leagues, there are plenty of clubs that benefit from having a rich benefactor. Clubs have been losing money so who's going to fund those losses when 51% of ownership is in the hands of fans? We epitomise the right side of 100% ownership by one person (near as damn it). I'd be interested to know if they are crying out for this model in any other country?

Also, what is so great about the german league? One team have won it for the last 9 years!

What needs to change are better rules that retain the ideal of status through what happens on the pitch. There needs to be better scrutiny of new owners coming into the game (too late for those already in control). For starters, I'd remove this ridiculous coefficient for getting in the champions league.

The greedy six did what they did because of weakness at Uefa, weakness at Fifa and weakness with the FA. Each time they demand things the governing bodies compromise to the benefit of big clubs and the detriment of everyone else. That needs to stop.

Personally I find the idea of forcibly nationalising Man U rather amusing. As I understand the values of those clubs are fairly notional anyway, precisely because nobody's actually ever going to pay £6bn or whatever it is to buy them.

ANYWAY, that's by the by.

I think the whole point is that the league needs to be put in a footing where clubs don't need a rich benefactor to thrive. It's fine for the likes of Chelsea or Man City, but the money they've spent and spend distorts the games finances and is one of the reasons it's so difficult and expensive for other teams to improve.

Whether the ownership rules are the best way to do this I don't know, but there's enough money in football that no clubs should be going bust or should need to pawn themselves off to dodgy owners to survive if it's shared out properly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally I find the idea of forcibly nationalising Man U rather amusing. As I understand the values of those clubs are fairly notional anyway, precisely because nobody's actually ever going to pay £6bn or whatever it is to buy them.

ANYWAY, that's by the by.

I think the whole point is that the league needs to be put in a footing where clubs don't need a rich benefactor to thrive. It's fine for the likes of Chelsea or Man City, but the money they've spent and spend distorts the games finances and is one of the reasons it's so difficult and expensive for other teams to improve.

Whether the ownership rules are the best way to do this I don't know, but there's enough money in football that no clubs should be going bust or should need to pawn themselves off to dodgy owners to survive if it's shared out properly.

I'd be very surprised if there aren't people or groups out there that would love to buy the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd. Since 2007 Liverpool have had 3 different owners so I wouldn't describe that as by the by.

And can you guarantee that the 51% rule will prevent clubs in this country going bust?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I'd be very surprised if there aren't people or groups out there that would love to buy the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd. Since 2007 Liverpool have had 3 different owners so I wouldn't describe that as by the by.

And can you guarantee that the 51% rule will prevent clubs in this country going bust?

I'd be very surprised if there aren't people or groups out there that would love to buy the likes of Liverpool or Man Utd.* Since 2007 Liverpool have had 3 different owners so I wouldn't describe that as by the by.

Liverpool's been bought twice in that time for about £200m and £300m. It's apparently now worth over £2billion, at least according to Forbes a couple of years ago. I'm just getting that from Wikipedia to be clear, so if the numbers are off complain to somebody else. My point is the amount paid was nowhere near the current valuation.

No, I can't. I doubt that it does that in Germany either though. Aside from hopefully stopping straight forward asset strippers though, it would reduce the incentive for a new owner to come in, spend a fortune* trying to buy promotion and cocking it up, leaving the club with a massive wage bill and no more income. Distributing the TV money more evenly would obviously help with that as well, but that would require the people running the PL and PL clubs having a broad perspective and actually caring abut the rest of football.

I'm not suggesting that we need to bring 50% + 1 in immediately, or that it's a magic bullet that will fix all the problems on it's own. I was interested in the reasons why you don't think it would work here. Because I'm interested, not because I'm looking for an argument.

I agree with the things you said you would change, I just don't think it goes far enough to fix the real problems.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Considerably far easier said than done. I'm not even sure the system is a good idea for this country anyway.

Do you prefer the greed driven current model? Are you Paul Barber?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Who pays for those owners shares/comps them for the devaluation of club.

The legal battle would last years.

They devalued their own clubs . They should suffer a kick in their wallets. They ONLY thing they understand

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Don't know if this has been suggested previously but occured to me that the 12 breakaway clubs should be forced into the same European groups for, say, five years.

They suffer because they can't all get through, but they get the glamour ties they so desperately wanted.

They have to qualify first, of course.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It seems that it is kicking off at OT with fans getting into the ground with many fans outside. Game has been delayed with Liverpool.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Fecking media

Sanctimonious claptrap talked on the radio by Pat Nevin and the pundits saying the ground is sacrosanct and protests must always happen away from grounds. HORSESHIT.

Where we would be now if we fans did not invade the pitch, invade stands to get archer and bellotti out, bring whistles to games, protest and cause civil disobedience to be the ******** out

This is exactly what fan power is about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here