Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Millions begrudgingly paid Sky Sports for years, many moaned about it, including the poor sods who couldn’t afford it. That annoyance grew when the EPL put packages out to a wider net of broadcasters and BT Sport joined the club. People hate forking out twice.

Well, yes. Because we're told that competition is good but, of course, it's not direct competiton and didn't drive down prices. To watch every match available, you end up spending more.

Always feel sorry for my old man when an Albion match is on BT. He can't justify a second subscription just to watch the odd game. He'd be less bothered if it wasn't on at all.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Sky and BT Sport did at least come out against the ESL - with statements - which helped the pile-on.

VAR is obviously not an English issue - broadcasters all over the world show ref mistakes from 16 angles, which led to the mess we're in.

And getting games moved, inconveniencing a few thousands fans, is a reality of modern football when there are 10s - potentially 100s - of millions of TV fans around the world.

Don't get me wrong - I wish BT Sport, VAR and stupid KO times didn't exist.

I don't actually have a huge problem with Sky Sports. Their model/money changed the English game for the better.

I bet fans of French clubs wish they had our set-up....

It was an easy win for both of the broadcasters. Nobody wanted what the 12 clubs were pushing and the proposal also risked their market share of top level football. It was a no brainer for both to be against. What galls me is them portraying themselves as friends of the fans. They are not. They sell football coverage to a television audience. They may be good at what they do, but they both have their own agendas and they are only friends of match going supporters in the 'my enemy's enemy is my friend' terms.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, having two broadcasters offering the same thing, requiring two subscriptions, is the problem. Sky Sports are better at it, and are more committed.

Big difference in price though. BT costs me an extra fiver a month, Sky would cost me an extra £35. I suppose that's a reflection on the number of games that each channel shows but as I'm only interested in Albion games, I just buy the odd Now pass

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Big difference in price though. BT costs me an extra fiver a month, Sky would cost me an extra £35. I suppose that's a reflection on the number of games that each channel shows but as I'm only interested in Albion games, I just buy the odd Now pass

That's your scenario, but not everybody is the same.

Sky subscribers can't get BT Sport for a fiver. And BT Sports don't offer a day/weekly pass.

And back to the broader point, if BT Sport didn't exist, Champions League would probably still be shared on Sky and terrestrial.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
European Super League: Clubs 'cannot leave', says Real Madrid president Florentino Perez - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56873448

It's not dead yet.

The escape clause costs £130m per club, I think?

The remaining clubs will hope to sue those who have quit, I suppose. But they'll get kicked out of the Champions League in the meantime, I'm sure.

Spanish clubs are desperate. Could get v messy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well, yes. Because we're told that competition is good but, of course, it's not direct competiton and didn't drive down prices. To watch every match available, you end up spending more.

Always feel sorry for my old man when an Albion match is on BT. He can't justify a second subscription just to watch the odd game. He'd be less bothered if it wasn't on at all.

A faux market, like the railway operators.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The threat was enough. Now to oust the leaches and go for the German ownership model to stop this disgrace ever happening. I am glad your pessimism was misplaced. But a lot of work to defeat these moguls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fine line between pessimism and reality. How is the German model going to work with privately owned businesses, can you see TB selling half the value of his shares or any other Chairman for that matter.
The bigger clubs have highlighted a desire for a bigger slice of the pie and that desire ain't going away. Changes will be made, probably to the Champions League, I can see it becoming fewer sides participating but with the same revenue streams of sponsorship and advertising hence bigger income for the bigger clubs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fine line between pessimism and reality. How is the German model going to work with privately owned businesses, can you see TB selling half the value of his shares or any other Chairman for that matter.
The bigger clubs have highlighted a desire for a bigger slice of the pie and that desire ain't going away. Changes will be made, probably to the Champions League, I can see it becoming fewer sides participating but with the same revenue streams of sponsorship and advertising hence bigger income for the bigger clubs.

Agree, we are too far down the line to revert to a situation where fans have the final say and those that pump billions into the game have no control. I think it might have been the P of F podcast where they said that without rich owners covering the debts, most of the lower league clubs would go because people won't put money into a club unless they have a say how it is run.

The best financial model is probably what we have, ie a benevolent rich long term fan.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
European Super League: Clubs 'cannot leave', says Real Madrid president Florentino Perez - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56873448

It's not dead yet.

He will continue to talk to our owners and try and make changes until they are happy. Eg Places in ESL on merit and relegation. Whatever our owners have said in public they would still jump at the chance if fans happy.
Does now seem CL is getting out of hand and agree with Klopp 6 extra games is mad. CL was always rightly for the elite that have won a decent league now many in it that are no more then EFL div 2 standard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here