Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Oh don't worry, they're being punished alright. UEFA has announced new rules for the CL which allows the big teams to qualify even when they don't finish top 4 of their league.

WTF? That's the same ****ing thing that we've all just been complaining about.

I assume there's a thread about it, with protests, but I can't see it.

You have got to be joking?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Oh don't worry, they're being punished alright. UEFA has announced new rules for the CL which allows the big teams to qualify even when they don't finish top 4 of their league.

WTF? That's the same ****ing thing that we've all just been complaining about.

I assume there's a thread about it, with protests, but I can't see it.

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard on Talksport news earlier, that part of the format has, apparently, been/being scrapped now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You have got to be joking?
Unfortunately no, I'm not. Sky don't seem to be moaning about it, but perhaps that's because they think it's good to keep the big clubs in, to keep their revenue high (in seasons where they do have some CL rights).

I could be wrong, but I thought I heard on Talksport news earlier, that part of the format has, apparently, been/being scrapped now.
Well they showed the proposals by UEFA on Sky, and I didn't notice them saying it wouldn't happen. I then saw Eddie Newton (ex Chelsea) saying that hopefully that should be enough to keep the big clubs happy. **** off, it's the same thing we've all just been complaining about!

I don't think I've got this completely wrong, so why is no one (not Craig) outraged?

I heard Levy and Woodward have started a only fans
Sorry, don't know what that means.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
See info on the 4 additional slots:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...-1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/

"Slots three and four: awarded to the two clubs with the highest club coefficients that have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase or the Europa League/the Europa Conference League (due to start in the 2021/22 season)."

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This is just an opening shot from the clubs but at the end of the day money talks.
Similar to Kerry Packer's World Cricket the authorities will climb down, can you see a World Cup without the best player's in the World participating, FIFA and the sponsors would not allow it.
The rich simply want to get richer and stuff the rest.

The threat was enough. Now to oust the leaches and go for the German ownership model to stop this disgrace ever happening. I am glad your pessimism was misplaced. But a lot of work to defeat these moguls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
See info on the 4 additional slots:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...-1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/

"Slots three and four: awarded to the two clubs with the highest club coefficients that have not qualified automatically for the Champions League’s league stage, but have qualified either for the Champions League qualification phase or the Europa League/the Europa Conference League (due to start in the 2021/22 season)."

It's unbelievable really - I'm reminded right now why I rarely listen to football on 5 live outside of the commentary itself - Talking about a victory for grass roots fans etc etc, I've seen people on here celebrating this 'win' and our belief in the football pyramid. A few things - 1) Does anyone really not believe that the owners saw this coming, it's all part of the plan, people like that don't capitulate in 24 hours. 2) as you've pointed out, they've won the concessions they were after! 3) Where was all the noise when the likes of Wigan, Bury etc etc etc when in to oblivion. It's like life outside the the PL is an irrelevance. Sad really.

The absolute hogwash I'm listening too from Shearer and the rest of the pundits is driving me to distraction.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Watching the preview to the Liverpool v Newcastle game and BT Sport are advertising a film they're showing tomorrow that seems to be romanticising the fan connection with football and their coverage is acting like the current status quo in football is a golden era that has resisted a dastardly existential attack on it's shire-like peaceful harmony. This is going to be a danger over the next few months as the narratives get written and re-written. Sky & BT will be keen to paint themselves as friends of the fans when they have shown from their actions in pushing the VAR agenda, in getting games moved to suit them, etc. that they have never cared a jot about football fans. We shouldn't let them get away with it. Yes, better the devil you know, but its still a devil.

On another note they've started saying that Liverpool haven't lost at home in front of a crowd for over four years. That's not a thing. We've all been playing without crowds. They have been absolute toilet at home this year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's unbelievable really - I'm reminded right now why I rarely listen to football on 5 live outside of the commentary itself - Talking about a victory for grass roots fans etc etc, I've seen people on here celebrating this 'win' and our belief in the football pyramid. A few things - 1) Does anyone really not believe that the owners saw this coming, it's all part of the plan, people like that don't capitulate in 24 hours. 2) as you've pointed out, they've won the concessions they were after! 3) Where was all the noise when the likes of Wigan, Bury etc etc etc when in to oblivion. It's like life outside the the PL is an irrelevance. Sad really.

The absolute hogwash I'm listening too from Shearer and the rest of the pundits is driving me to distraction.

yes they knew about it, the change to include two teams on their "coefficient" has been in UEFA planned reform for months.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Sky & BT will be keen to paint themselves as friends of the fans when they have shown from their actions in pushing the VAR agenda, in getting games moved to suit them, etc. that they have never cared a jot about football fans. We shouldn't let them get away with it. Yes, better the devil you know, but its still a devil.

Sky and BT Sport did at least come out against the ESL - with statements - which helped the pile-on.

VAR is obviously not an English issue - broadcasters all over the world show ref mistakes from 16 angles, which led to the mess we're in.

And getting games moved, inconveniencing a few thousands fans, is a reality of modern football when there are 10s - potentially 100s - of millions of TV fans around the world.

Don't get me wrong - I wish BT Sport, VAR and stupid KO times didn't exist.

I don't actually have a huge problem with Sky Sports. Their model/money changed the English game for the better.

I bet fans of French clubs wish they had our set-up....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sky and BT Sport did at least come out against the ESL - with statements - which helped the pile-on.

VAR is obviously not an English issue - broadcasters all over the world show ref mistakes from 16 angles, which led to the mess we're in.

And getting games moved, inconveniencing a few thousands fans, is a reality of modern football when there are 10s - potentially 100s - of millions of TV fans around the world.

Don't get me wrong - I wish BT Sport, VAR and stupid KO times didn't exist.

I don't actually have a huge problem with Sky Sports. Their model/money changed the English game for the better.

I bet fans of French clubs wish they had our set-up....

In 2021, aren’t Sky Sports and BT Sport essentially the same?

Satellite/cable providers of EPL games, for a not insignificant fee. Both biased to 9 ‘names’ clubs. I include Leeds, Everton and Leeds.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In 2021, aren’t Sky Sports and BT Sport essentially the same?

Satellite/cable providers of EPL games, for a not insignificant fee. Both biased to 9 ‘names’ clubs. I include Leeds, Everton and Leeds.

Yes, having two broadcasters offering the same thing, requiring two subscriptions, is the problem. Sky Sports are better at it, and are more committed.

The bias towards the clubs which bring the biggest audience is frustrating but understandable imo. Could be a lot, lot worse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, having two broadcasters offering the same thing, requiring two subscriptions, is the problem. Sky Sports are better at it, and are more committed.

The bias towards the clubs which bring the biggest audience is frustrating but understandable imo. Could be a lot, lot worse.

Not picking on you, but I guessed subs/money would be the issue.

Millions begrudgingly paid Sky Sports for years, many moaned about it, including the poor sods who couldn’t afford it. That annoyance grew when the EPL put packages out to a wider net of broadcasters and BT Sport joined the club. People hate forking out twice.

It will only get more complicated over time. We already have Amazon Prime for some match-days, cheap for now if you have an account and firestick, with the EPL actively looking for other $$$$ platforms.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Whilst you have a point, it’s a long way from allowing certain clubs to feast at the top table in perpetuity. I’m all for holding UEFA and the PL to account but let’s not pretend the ESL is not considerably worse.

Hmmm I’m not so sure, given two places will be given on ranking points gained via Europe, it seems pretty closed to me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Millions begrudgingly paid Sky Sports for years, many moaned about it, including the poor sods who couldn’t afford it. That annoyance grew when the EPL put packages out to a wider net of broadcasters and BT Sport joined the club. People hate forking out twice.

It will only get more complicated over time. We already have Amazon Prime for some match-days, cheap for now if you have an account and firestick, with the EPL actively looking for other $$$$ platforms.

I am paying less for tv football than I was 20 years ago though. In those days you had to buy lots of programmes you didn’t want just to get the football. I pay 20 quid/month for Now tv sports and 18 (I think) for BT Sport. Despite having multiple providers it is still cheaper.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hmmm I’m not so sure, given two places will be given on ranking points gained via Europe, it seems pretty closed to me.

But not at the expense of places earned by league position. Leicester and West Ham are still able to qualify for top European competition. I’m not defending the UEFA plans by the way. It is a part of the problem we have with the biggest clubs. Just pointing out it’s not the same as the ESL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am paying less for tv football than I was 20 years ago though. In those days you had to buy lots of programmes you didn’t want just to get the football. I pay 20 quid/month for Now tv sports and 18 (I think) for BT Sport. Despite having multiple providers it is still cheaper.

I’m lazy and stick to Sky/BT.

Sky Sports have a loyal subscription base of millions, people waiting to hear the latest pearl of wisdom from Jamie Redknapp.

Inertia or inelastic demand.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

To be fair, you're not actually forking out twice as the packages just mean there are more live games on TV than before, if you don't take into account the covid football bonaza. I believe in 1992, Sky showed just 60 out of 380 games. The official packages they now have are for Sky to show 128 with BT showing 52 and Amazon 20. Ignoring covid, from 60 matches in 1992 we now have 200 officially on the box.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair, you're not actually forking out twice as the packages just mean there are more live games on TV than before, if you don't take into account the covid football bonaza. I believe in 1992, Sky showed just 60 out of 380 games. The official packages they now have are for Sky to show 128 with BT showing 52 and Amazon 20. Ignoring covid, from 60 matches in 1992 we now have 200 officially on the box.

Good point.

Sky loyalists simply seem to hate a second fee to another broadcaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here