Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Which rules have they actually broken?

They announced they were joining a new breakaway competition, all planned without the approval of the PL. publicly put out a press release which brings the game into disrepute. Undermines other clubs.

https://thesuperleague.com/press.html

I mean, what have you been seeing the past few days? They only withdrew due to the overwhelming public backlash. There needs to be a deterrant of some sort.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I can see this point being well made a few posts earlier. Assume it's been made a few times, but I don't like the idea of the reaction as a mandate on Sky/Premier League as saviours or upholders of the game.

Sky and the PL created the environment where the Super League was viable. Their howling in response wasn't in line with the reaction of fans. It was the fear of losing out financially and the damage to their brand.

To be fair the biggest voices on Sky speaking out on this are ex players and managers. Fans who do have their club at heart (eg Neville, Carra).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Won't it be brilliant if all six are faced with a massive multi billion bill and the owners are forced to sell up resulting in the clubs having to sell their best players and end up in a relegation fight out next season. Even up the league perfectly.
[emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Anyone else notice the CL changes UEFA voted through making it more of a closed shop?

No, not many would have.... almost like this is all planned

Under the new rules and the Premier League finished with everyone in their current league place:
Top 4 in the Champions League
5th place West Ham in Europa League
6th and 7th place Liverpool and Spurs in the Champion's League through the legacy type qualification Linked to history in Europe.

More games/more prize money
Nah this is wrong I think. Only 4 extra clubs in Europe would be given spots. How do you calculate it would be Liverpool and spurs?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's probably not over. There will be something else later, when someone has dreamed up a different bright idea.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Welcome news that the ESL is dead but this idea is the culmination of years of the shift in football from the working class game to a commercial enterprise focused on corporate relationships. The irony of the Premier League complaining about money grabbing should not be lost on anyone. Us fans have been "consumers" for years and we've allowed it by willingly paying the Sky (and now BT and Amazon) subs, accepting the high ticket prices, entitled players, scumbag agents, corporate tie ins, overpriced merch and more for the payoff of safe and comfortable stadiums, some of the best players in the world in our top league and access to the circus of the modern game.

Of course BHA have not been at the forefront of this and the glitz of the PL seemed a long way off in the heady days of Withdean on a cold, wet Tuesday night in January but the honest truth is collectively, the British football fan has allowed this situation to become possible by accepting all the little trade offs for the carrots of shiner baubles. The ESL was the shiniest of them all and thank goodness collectively we woke up to it.

Of course not everything is bad and safe stadiums, family friendly and inclusive grounds, the good that many clubs (esp BHA) do in their communities, the status of BHA as a PL team etc are all good. The commercial and societal realities of where we are now have to be recognised and it would be naive to think we can take some time machine back to 1990, and frankly, nor should we. The nostalgic aspects of football 30 years ago also can mask the negative, and I would be lying if I said I am not so glad to be at Falmer watching (eventually) PL football and not Withdean in the rain, but the positive aspects of where the game is now could have been achieved without the undermining of the club ethos, without selling the soul of football to the media moguls and disenfranchised billionaire owners. Sadly as much as we have seen fan action have an effect (not least in our own club history), the overall situation has been a collective sleepwalking into this position.

I am really hoping that this debacle allows something to happen to redress this balance and helps all clubs, including ours, to remember who it is that is at the heart of any club for the long haul and find ways of ensuring they have meaningful representation within the club. I am less confident that the pushback against the ESL will translate into anything that has a meaningful effect on the money grabbing by the PL, the cost of TV rights, the cost of attending games, better distribution of money throughout the game, better support for grassroots football.

Ultimately the rancour of the PL, UEFA and FIFA was not about what is best for the fans, it's about the protection of their revenue streams and I worry that this will now all die down and they will be the winners, simply able to go on doing what they've been doing for years and we keep accepting.

Excellent post.

You should post more frequently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They announced they were joining a new breakaway competition, all planned without the approval of the PL. publicly put out a press release which brings the game into disrepute. Undermines other clubs.

I mean, what have you been seeing the past few days? They only withdrew due to the overwhelming public backlash. There needs to be a deterrant of some sort.

do you know where this is in the rules? as i recall looking at rules before, they have more rules on car parks than of clubs leaving.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
As Sky's excellent reporter Kaveh Solhekol tweeted, this is a happy ending and a victory for the good guys.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Diabolical statements from Tottenham and Liverpool on there withdrawal all but justifying there involvement. Could be a backlash from supporters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Welcome news that the ESL is dead but this idea is the culmination of years of the shift in football from the working class game to a commercial enterprise focused on corporate relationships. The irony of the Premier League complaining about money grabbing should not be lost on anyone. Us fans have been "consumers" for years and we've allowed it by willingly paying the Sky (and now BT and Amazon) subs, accepting the high ticket prices, entitled players, scumbag agents, corporate tie ins, overpriced merch and more for the payoff of safe and comfortable stadiums, some of the best players in the world in our top league and access to the circus of the modern game.

Of course BHA have not been at the forefront of this and the glitz of the PL seemed a long way off in the heady days of Withdean on a cold, wet Tuesday night in January but the honest truth is collectively, the British football fan has allowed this situation to become possible by accepting all the little trade offs for the carrots of shiner baubles. The ESL was the shiniest of them all and thank goodness collectively we woke up to it.

Of course not everything is bad and safe stadiums, family friendly and inclusive grounds, the good that many clubs (esp BHA) do in their communities, the status of BHA as a PL team etc are all good. The commercial and societal realities of where we are now have to be recognised and it would be naive to think we can take some time machine back to 1990, and frankly, nor should we. The nostalgic aspects of football 30 years ago also can mask the negative, and I would be lying if I said I am not so glad to be at Falmer watching (eventually) PL football and not Withdean in the rain, but the positive aspects of where the game is now could have been achieved without the undermining of the club ethos, without selling the soul of football to the media moguls and disenfranchised billionaire owners. Sadly as much as we have seen fan action have an effect (not least in our own club history), the overall situation has been a collective sleepwalking into this position.

I am really hoping that this debacle allows something to happen to redress this balance and helps all clubs, including ours, to remember who it is that is at the heart of any club for the long haul and find ways of ensuring they have meaningful representation within the club. I am less confident that the pushback against the ESL will translate into anything that has a meaningful effect on the money grabbing by the PL, the cost of TV rights, the cost of attending games, better distribution of money throughout the game, better support for grassroots football.

Ultimately the rancour of the PL, UEFA and FIFA was not about what is best for the fans, it's about the protection of their revenue streams and I worry that this will now all die down and they will be the winners, simply able to go on doing what they've been doing for years and we keep accepting.

Well said. Unfortunately, money talks.

el punal

Ooh, this will be fun watching Man Utd, Liverpool et al playing in the National League at Eastleigh next season. :whistle:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’m sure there will be more rules introduced, as I’m sure the lawyers Of the clubs would have read through everything in the PL to make sure there was none broken.

Announcing and actually doing are two very different things.

And I’m not buying the PL not knowing anything about it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He's just apologised for the banning of flasks and how the guys at "BFC" have heard you.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
do you know where this is in the rules? as i recall looking at rules before, they have more rules on car parks than of clubs leaving.

https://resources.premierleague.com...d-15878b6d33b2/2020-21-PL-Handbook-240321.pdf

This is probably the most pertinent rule.

PLrules.PNG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Agree, Arsenal were the only ones that said 'we ****ed it up and got it wrong'. Atleast admitting their mistake. The others just said 'we are leaving' taking zero responsibility for the effects that they caused.

To be fair, the board expressed this!

Not kronky

If we are looking at these billionaires and changing club ownership, how do we all feel about Bloom. After all, he is the sole owner of this club and bankrolls it as does abramovitch, as do the Qataris with City and PSG. Yes ok, he is not in the scale of these guys, but the principle is the same. I know a lot of people say he is a fan..but Abramovitch has always professed to being a fan of Chelsea since he was a kid.

We have to face facts...football will always be owned by the very rich. This has not gone away. It will not go away.

The next thing is now to look to the authorities to punish these clubs who have basically told them that they can foxtrot Oscar, we are taking our billions and top players and playing ball with other rich clubs around Europe. Sanctions and points deductions MUST be done!

John barnes is on breakfast tv now talking a hell of a sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here