Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Sherwood, who is a bit of a mug, is spot on on SSN. Saying that the European clubs involved have been mismanaged and are piggybacking on the success of the English clubs/Premier League.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Expect the boards of the 6 clubs are probably pleased that the grounds won't be full for some time in the hope that the backlash against them will be muted despite the ESL collapsing

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I disagree. The idea is now toxic and will require unilateral resignation from the current set ups, and players banned from international teams. The amount of money needed to make that a safe bet for the psycho six and their EU counrerparts is beyond imagining, and the amputation of these clubs from the body of football will kill global interest, kill viewer numbers and kill income in the new venture, rendering it doomed.

It's over. Only a fool will try again.

I'm inclined to agree.

They have used the threat of a breakaway to leverage ever more favourable distribution of the CL broadcasting money for years.

This is the first time it's actually been acted on.

And it has crumbled within 24 hours. In the most embarrassing and damaging fashion imaginable.

This is a spectacular own goal that will haunt them for years. Their "trump card" has been shown to be founded on hubris and nothing to be feared.

The credibility of a breakaway threat has evaporated.

They had it so good but could not see it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
All 12 of these teams should at the very least be immediately kicked out of the currrent champions league and replaced by teams knocked out in previous rounds and then excluded from next years competition.

This and 30 point domestic deductions all round. West Ham win the title, Spurs and Arsenal get relegated while everyone involved is automatically out of next season’s CL.

I’m not even joking - a serious shot across the bows needed here. As I tell my wife as she’s bollocking the kids one moment then giving them an ice cream the next - THEY WON’T FÚCKING LEARN!!!11

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Brilliant news - the big six have demolished much of their own power, influence and respect within the space of about 40 hours - couldn't have been planned any better.

Bye bye chinless Ed Woodward - never to be seen again with luck.

Oh goodie, when do we get the German model of club ownership then?

Oh.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Brilliant news - the big six have demolished much of their own power, influence and respect within the space of about 40 hours - couldn't have been planned any better.

Bye bye chinless Ed Woodward - never to be seen again with luck.

How to **** up a brand .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here