Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
I asked the same thing in another thread. I think they will end up paying a lot of money and poaching officials perhaps leading to a shortage of experienced officials in certain countries who will likely be banned from officiating elsewhere if they succumb to the ESL greed.

I agree and I did a search...sorry.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I guess it’s down to what they mean by ‘enter’

RULE L9
Except with the prior written approval of the Board, during the Season a Club shall not enter or play its senior men's first team in any competition other than:
L.9.1 the UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 the UEFA Europa League
L.9.3. the FA Cup
L.9.4 the FA Community Shield
L.9.5. the Football League Cup
L.9.6 competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member

Perez seems to be suggesting they have entered into a contract for this league which could be seen a breaching a PL rule and could be subject to action being taken. Imagine one of the areas the lawyers are currently working through

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1384282327581298694?s=21

Think they can do pretty much what they like if all 14 agree:

Commission’s Powers
W.48. Upon finding a complaint to have been proved the Commission shall invite the
Respondent to place any mitigating factors before the Commission.
W.49. Having heard and considered such mitigating factors (if any) the Commission may:

W.49.4. in the case of a Respondent which is a Club:
W.49.4.1. suspend it from playing in League Matches or any matches in competitions which form part of the Games Programmes or Professional Development Leagues (as those terms are defined in the Youth Development Rules) for such period as it thinks fit;
W.49.4.2. deduct points scored or to be scored in League Matches or such other matches as are referred to in Rule W.49.4.1;
W.49.4.3. recommend that the Board orders that a League Match or such other match as is referred to in Rule W.49.4.1 be replayed;
W.49.4.4. recommend that the League expels the Respondent from membership in accordance with the provisions of Rule B.6;

B.6 Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 27, the League may expel a Club from membership upon a special Resolution to that effect being passed by a majority of not less than three-quarters of such members as (being entitled to do so) vote by their representatives or by proxy at a General Meeting of which notice specifying the intention to propose the Resolution has been duly given.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
have heard this on WhatsApp group......i think it could be spurs.

It won't be Spurs who get cold feet - they have massive debt and struggle to qualify for the CL so they see the ESL as guaranteed gravy train.

Far more likely to be City or Chelsea who don't need the money and tend to qualify for the CL most seasons anyway.

Let's hope one of them changes their minds - because if one goes the whole house of cards comes tumbling down..

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Football clubs like properties should be listed ie grade 1 or grade 2. Football clubs should listed something like properties are so you can not do certain things to them.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He's added more. "This is not a sport..."

[tweet]1384488137867595776[/tweet]

Seemed to me like he is the spokesman for the compromise end game. He said he didn’t know whether there might be a few (5 ?) places available for the non founding members. Trying to sit on the fence and come across like the good guy. The reality is we shouldn’t be offering these characters any compromise and certainly not one their minions are suggesting.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It won't be Spurs who get cold feet - they have massive debt and struggle to qualify for the CL so they see the ESL as guaranteed gravy train.

Far more likely to be City or Chelsea who don't need the money and tend to qualify for the CL most seasons anyway.

Let's hope one of them changes their minds - because if one goes the whole house of cards comes tumbling down..

Spurs have the biggest debt in UK football.it’s huge due to their new stadium. As said elsewhere, more likely to be City or Chelsea. Once one goes, some others will follow although I see Spurs, Man Utd and Liverpool sticking with it. To be honest, they can f@ck off it can open another EPL promotion place and run an 18 team EPL league and a revised European competition.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seemed to me like he is the spokesman for the compromise end game. He said he didn’t know whether there might be a few (5 ?) places available for the non founding members. Trying to sit on the fence and come across like the good guy. The reality is we shouldn’t be offering these characters any compromise and certainly not one their minions are suggesting.

Did you listen to whole interview :)

He criticises the concept of a team doing badly in the league and still qualifying.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

I thought I read that was the original premise - 10 or so founding members, then 4 or 5 who qualify each season. Not a compromise, think that is what the ESL have set out.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

ok ...the group i heard it on are mainly londoner's so spurs chelsea arse.......but the point about debt rings true ...real madrid and barca are in desperate debt so there's an obvious underlying motive behind this move ....i still say **** em , i can't see it happening , years in court .....they will all need a new kit for one thing and chelsea can't play on their ground as they don't own it ...??? crazy , greedy ********.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Premier League Captains now having an emergency meeting called by Jordan Henderson. I hope this proves significant, in terms of PR at least.

The players are important here, especially in counteracting the claim from the breakaway group that "non-legacy" fans don't care for clubs only players.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
bobby robson.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I guess it’s down to what they mean by ‘enter’

RULE L9
Except with the prior written approval of the Board, during the Season a Club shall not enter or play its senior men's first team in any competition other than:
Yep. Personally I don't think you can really enter a competition that doesn't yet exist. Something for the courts to decide should it come to that.

But I don't think kicking them out now helps achieve the goal of what we really want. I'd think that most fans want them to simply drop the idea, and we'll carry on as we were. That won't be possible if they're immediately kicked out. That, IMO, would be a pointless over-reaction.

I'm quite confident the ESL would fail if the clubs had to leave their respective leagues, and no teams joined them each year. And since it would fail, I'm fairly confident those teams would drop the idea if they weren't allowed to do both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here