Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This kind of thing from players/ex players really irritates me. "The players have nothing to do with this." Not a thought to where the money for the ridiculous salaries may be coming from. 'Oh no, we just play football. Our agents deal with everything else.' Infantile nonsense.
'Don't blame me, I'm only shooting them because I was told to'

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This is a little insulting to a lot of the international fans. There were messages on the Guardian yesterday from fans of these teams in Asia saying that they don't want this either. A lot of international fans of these teams are drawn to the game by history, romance and passion. When choosing a team to support, many want to align themselves with the European fans as much as the club's name. Nobody would watch televised football from an empty stadium, unless there was no other option. If international fans are forced to choose between watching Liverpool without the Kop end, or a full Everton ground they'll drop the former like a hot brick. The owners fail to understand that they don't own the history, they don't own the fans and they don't own the passion. Football only matters because we have all conspired between us to make it matter. Without local fans, these clubs are nothing and will very quickly die.

So, are you suggesting that the owners of these clubs have not done their homework on the reactions in each of their markets?
A vocal minority will side with Europe on this but it is wishful thinking to believe that the majority of the Glazers et al. target market won't lap this up.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Until fans have some control of their beloved clubs something like this is bound to happen. Every club should have to be part owned by a fans trust or something similar by law..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Tremendous stuff. Now is not the time to hide behind carefully worded statements. Passion is what football is all about. Well done Everton.

Quite, great statement. And that is what has annoyed me about Sky and BT's statements.

Sky dedicated most of MNF football to this with Carragher, Neville and Jones constantly denouncing it. Then Sky themselves bring out one of those carefully worded statements staying they don't like it and it's not good for the whole game etc but stopping short of saying they won't have anything to do it with it, same as BT earlier. These already slightly morally dubious organisations themselves should grow a ****ing backbone, say it how it is and refuse to have anything to do with it, they might go up in peoples estimations.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
when this is forgotten and they have a larer slice of the pie.

They should know that if this ever rears its head again then they get expelled.

Unfortunately , they have flexed muscles and shown they have the power.

The owners are probably all in another country or on their yachts watching this sh1t storm with a smile. It's exactly as they want.

They hold the power

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So, are you suggesting that the owners of these clubs have not done their homework on the reactions in each of their markets?
A vocal minority will side with Europe on this but it is wishful thinking to believe that the majority of the Glazers et al. target market won't lap this up.

I am saying that they will have done financial homework, but that will have had to be based upon assumptions about fan response. I'm saying that those assumptions will be proven wrong. They don't understand it, but without Liverpool and Man Utd fans, these American financiers own nothing. If the local fans don't go, they'll be trying to sell a white elephant and the global market won't want it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All I am suggesting is that it might be best to find a compromise that can work for more people rather than ending up with the currently proposed ESL.
There should be no compromise. If they're kicked out of their leagues, I can't see them wanting to go ahead with it.

Do not fall for this idea that these clubs are generating the money for everyone else. It's the local leagues that created these clubs, not the other way around. If Man U and Liverpool had never existed, football would have prospered as much as it has.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I am saying that they will have done financial homework, but that will have had to be based upon assumptions about fan response. I'm saying that those assumptions will be proven wrong. They don't understand it, but without Liverpool and Man Utd fans, these American financiers own nothing. If the local fans don't go, they'll be trying to sell a white elephant and the global market won't want it.

There will always , always be 55,000 others that would fill the stadiums. They know this. Everyone knows it.

Sky in their worded statement know it. They will have nose in trough if it comes to it.

They've flexed and the fall out has proved they have the power.

Expect more concessions for them in due course

Power play working a treat

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think it matters even if global fans like the idea. If they're kicked out of the PL league, it just won't work for them financially, and the prospect of it failing would be too big a risk to take.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I think we will have to agree to disagree and time will show which of us is right. For the future bounce, my prediction is this will happen, be very successful but only in the short term. The league will be inflated by the likes of Shanghai and LA Galaxy to grow the "local markets" and making it the Global Super (Soccer?) League - or in fact two leagues, one in the US timezones and one in the Far East ones. The original 12 will relocate to US/Far East to help grow their brands but it will all eventually become stale and drop to the equivalent of the NFL. Profitable outside its core market, but not massively so, regardless of however much fanfare is placed around the play-offs and Super Ball.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we will have to agree to disagree and time will show which of us is right. For the future bounce, my prediction is this will happen, be very successful but only in the short term. The league will be inflated by the likes of Shanghai and LA Galaxy to grow the "local markets" and making it the Global Super (Soccer?) League - or in fact two leagues, one in the US timezones and one in the Far East ones. The original 12 will relocate to US/Far East to help grow their brands but it will all eventually become stale and drop to the equivalent of the NFL. Profitable outside its core market, but not massively so, regardless of however much fanfare is placed around the play-offs and Super Ball.
I suspect you are right in much of this.

Man Utd Globetrotters will eventually move to be based in China. The league will basically be a franchise league with no jeopardy.

It will wither on the vine and some great historic football clubs will just become exhibition match circus acts.

Very sad really.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was looking at a few US Twitter feeds last night and there were quite a few comments on how the ESL is a chance to make "soccer more exciting". Banning 0-0 draws was high on the list; making goals bigger and the abolition of offsides were also mentioned. There were also suggestions for more breaks in play (I don't think anyone wanted this but there was a feeling that this was inevitable).

And there was a definite desire to see more games at US peak time. I'm not sure whether that meant games kicking off at 1.00 in the morning or more games in the US.

I'm sure there's an element of truth underlying all these ideas. I suspect that football in the ESL will, eventually, be very different from the game we know now

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I was looking at a few US Twitter feeds last night and there were quite a few comments on how the ESL is a chance to make "soccer more exciting". Banning 0-0 draws was high on the list

If we can work out a way to fix the rules of the game so that a team is forced to score, that could be the solution to all of our (Brighton's) problems.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There will always , always be 55,000 others that would fill the stadiums. They know this. Everyone knows it.

Sky in their worded statement know it. They will have nose in trough if it comes to it.

If they can find thousands of football tourists to go to the first couple of games, they certainly won't be returning if they have to enter the stadium through picket lines of actual fans. Yes football fans have always taken beatings from their clubs and come back for more, but we know very well at this club, that once they are stirred in opposition, they are a dogged, dedicated and fearsome opponent for any owner.

Also, I don't think that the power play has worked. I think that they are guilty of massive overreach. Parrish's reaction was interesting last night, indicating that these clubs have been gaining the increased control and bigger shares through stealth, but that they are now in the open. They are now vulnerable. The Germans and PSG didn't join and, even if they have the other three clubs to make fifteen, they won't get the 5 annual qualifiers without Uefa's cooperation. Their underhand tactics have made this an impossibility. It was a move motivated by the greed of some and the desperation of others. Very few people are talking about how European football survives without these clubs. Almost nobody is excited about the football that will be offered. Most are just condemning their owners and talking of punishments and expulsions. They have spent years threatening to make a bed and the threat was greater than the reality. Now they've finally revealed a wonky legged and lumpy bed, guess what they have to do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
when this is forgotten and they have a larer slice of the pie.
When? You're assuming they'll get a larger slice of the pie. I see no reason at all for that to happen.

Unfortunately , they have flexed muscles and shown they have the power.
They don't have the power, what are you talking about. If they're kicked out of the PL, the PL will be fine without them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

I disagree with everything you say.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I was looking at a few US Twitter feeds last night and there were quite a few comments on how the ESL is a chance to make "soccer more exciting". Banning 0-0 draws was high on the list; making goals bigger and the abolition of offsides were also mentioned. There were also suggestions for more breaks in play (I don't think anyone wanted this but there was a feeling that this was inevitable).

And there was a definite desire to see more games at US peak time. I'm not sure whether that meant games kicking off at 1.00 in the morning or more games in the US.

I'm sure there's an element of truth underlying all these ideas. I suspect that football in the ESL will, eventually, be very different from the game we know now

Very much think that all areas of the globe have much to learn and consider from other parts of the globe. However the figures show that the Uk has less to learn from the USA about sport than the USA has to learn from the UK. Look at the international, global success that is football. Even our lesser games such as cricket are international hits in some areas of the world such as South Asia. American sports hardly figure outside of the USA. There is a reason for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here