Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Clearly, a group of very rich men want to create a global super league and they are starting with Europe.

To do this, like magpies, they have invaded certain clubs and made them rich and powerful and beyond reach of other clubs. Now, people like the Glazers, Henry, Kronke etc are ready to move to the next phase and create a global league.

FIFA are abetting this with the idea of a Club World Cup to run alongside the World Cup. They want the Nairobi All Stars to play the Merseyside Reds. They wouldn't care if Spurs and Arsenal merged to form 'The London Pistons' if it meant creating an all star team who could play the 'New York Megatrons.'

Sadly, in this globalised world of greed, I think it will eventually happen, and perhaps we are best just letting them go. Even more sadly, and fledgling all star league will be a success. Everyone on this board is older and more likely to grumble and stick to the old traditions. In a world where kids are embracing global e-sports, the idea of a place where global galaticos meet to fight it out is highly appealing to them. Amazon will sign up and the global distribution will start.

It all means that local teams will suffer. The money will flow out of the game towards the top (there is only so much of it about) and the Port Vales, Yeovil Towns, Portsmouths, Sunderlands, Notts Countys etc will go bust, dragged down by debt or lack of revenue.

The money men have stolen the game and there is bugger all we can do to stop them.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Isn't it funny how some of these ' big six ' actually furloughed staff during lockdown. One actually released some 200 employees. At the same time, they were clearly negotiating behind the scenes to secure enormous wealth for themselves. One of the big six borrowed £900m from the Government ( OUR MONEY....TAXPAYERS MONEY ) to build a state of the art stadium and create the impression that they were a big club.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It's starting to look like these club owners have seriously overplayed their hand. Without getting the government on board they have failed to factor in the one barrier with the capacity to block their misjudged plans.

They will now be under huge scrutiny re business competition rules. This might even instigate an enforced german model of majority fan ownership in this country.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Dan Roan [MENTION=41973]DanR[/MENTION]oan
Replying to [MENTION=41973]DanR[/MENTION]oan
According to source, some of those involved in ESL call traditional supporters of clubs “legacy fans” while they are focused instead on the “fans of the future” who want superstar names
*ESL insists modelling shows solidarity payments will be boosted £10bn Euros over 23 seasons)

I think this epitomises all that is shite about this.

In fairness, that is the PL in a nutshell - I know many of us are still the old sulk from Saturday until Monday if we've lost types but in a lot of PL stadiums now that are many that already talking about who's going to win on Strictly tonight by the time they leave the stadium. Problem is for the PL and the ESL is that once football falls out of fashion again, as it will, they will be left with us legacy mugs.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lol. They would just refuse to sign new contracts, go on free transfers and pocket a chunk of the transfer fee themselves.

Why the need for new contracts if they have got one?

You do appear to like this idea.

Cheating you way to the top table. AGAIN.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Clearly, a group of very rich men want to create a global super league and they are starting with Europe.

To do this, like magpies, they have invaded certain clubs and made them rich and powerful and beyond reach of other clubs. Now, people like the Glazers, Henry, Kronke etc are ready to move to the next phase and create a global league.

FIFA are abetting this with the idea of a Club World Cup to run alongside the World Cup. They want the Nairobi All Stars to play the Merseyside Reds. They would care if Spurs and Arsenal merged to form 'The London Pistons' if it meant creating an all star team who could play the 'New York Megatrons.'

Sadly, in this globalised world of greed, I think it will eventually happen, and perhaps we are best just letting them go. Even more sadly, and fledgling all star league will be a success. Everyone on this board is older and more likely to grumble and stick to the old traditions. In a world where kids are embracing global e-sports, the idea of a place where global galaticos meet to fight it out is highly appealing to them. Amazon will sign up and the global distribution will start.

It all means that local teams will suffer. The money will flow out of the game towards the top (there is only so much of it about) and the Port Vales, Yeovil Towns, Portsmouths, Sunderlands, Notts Countys etc will go bust, dragged down by debt or lack of revenue.

The money men have stolen the game and there is bugger all we can do to stop them.

Good point. As the Globetrotter League evolves I can see the 6 clubs merging into 2 - with Chelsea being part of the Pistons and the other 3 becoming the Shanghai Sky Blue Reds Utd or similar.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Has it been mentioned yet that this was announced just before the announcement that the CL was to be extended to allow more clubs to qualify for the 'Champions' League.
I don't know but this seemed to me to be heading towards a sort of European league if the CL wasn't that anyway.
But at least you have to qualify and can get knocked out.
UEFA's extended CL was their version of a European League.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am pretty sure a player on £110k would quite like to earn £400k per week, yes.

Well maybe..... but how do you think Foden, Mount, Arnold, Rashford, Greenwood, Kane, Sterling, McGuire, etc are going to feel when they find out that they will never be able to represent their country again. Not play in World Cups or European Championships. Never walk out at Wembley again in a Cup Final. Never again play in derby games that really matter or in knockout competitions, where everything is on the line. Never be able to participate in local community activities, knowing that their club has turned its back on its bedrock of local support.
What can they tell their grandchildren in years to come...." oh....I didn't win anything or play for my country but I did earn a shedload of money "

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Apologies if I've missed it, but if they're playing midweek in Europe, are they expecting to be given Saturday 3pm games every week? (At which they'll presumably play half their second string players?)
They have already said new league is the priority and would use second string players for the domestic league.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't it funny how some of these ' big six ' actually furloughed staff during lockdown. One actually released some 200 employees. At the same time, they were clearly negotiating behind the scenes to secure enormous wealth for themselves. One of the big six borrowed £900m from the Government ( OUR MONEY....TAXPAYERS MONEY ) to build a state of the art stadium and create the impression that they were a big club.

Whilst I agree with most of what you say (although you neglected to include one of the big six even laid off their mascot), Spurs didn't borrow £900m from the government to build the stadium. They did borrow £175m as a short term government loan but that was after the completion of the stadium and part of Covid financing arrangements but it is a loan so will be repaid. It's not like the taxpayer is subsidising Spurs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On radio 5 this morning Nicky Campbell did a long inerview with a man from UEFA. I think it was Lars-Christer Olsson who overseas European Leagues. The man was unequivocal. When Campbell quoted the breakaway clubs as acting on behalf of the pyramid because they would hand over more telly money, Olsson said he felt like using strong language. Campbell said 'go ahead'. The reply was 'it's bullshit; these clubs do the same thing every few years, threatening a breakaway'.... so they can leverage more money for themselves. The way it looks at the moment is that the 12 walk will have to shut up or away from their current leagues and go it alone, because there will be no concessions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In fairness, that is the PL in a nutshell - I know many of us are still the old sulk from Saturday until Monday if we've lost types but in a lot of PL stadiums now that are many that already talking about who's going to win on Strictly tonight by the time they leave the stadium. Problem is for the PL and the ESL is that once football falls out of fashion again, as it will, they will be left with us legacy mugs.

I'm not sure that is what they mean by new fans. They are not concerned about which people come through the turnstile, the new fans they refer to are ones sitting on their arse in the far east paying tv subscriptions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting article in the FT this morning saying that the JP Morgan money is not a bonus but a loan - the clubs will be paying off the debt for 23 years at £250m every year.

That makes it even more baffling that the clubs are happy to leave the PL

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Whilst I agree with most of what you say (although you neglected to include one of the big six even laid off their mascot), Spurs didn't borrow £900m from the government to build the stadium. They did borrow £175m as a short term government loan but that was after the completion of the stadium and part of Covid financing arrangements but it is a loan so will be repaid. It's not like the taxpayer is subsidising Spurs.

I stand corrected.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On radio 5 this morning Nicky Campbell did a long inerview with a man from UEFA. I think it was Lars-Christer Olsson who overseas European Leagues. The man was unequivocal. When Campbell quoted the breakaway clubs as acting on behalf of the pyramid because they would hand over more telly money, Olsson said he felt like using strong language. Campbell said 'go ahead'. The reply was 'it's bullshit; these clubs do the same thing every few years, threatening a breakaway'.... so they can leverage more money for themselves. The way it looks at the moment is that the 12 walk will have to shut up or away from their current leagues and go it alone, because there will be no concessions.

I hope he's right. Too many times Uefa have given concessions to the big European clubs when they make these sort of threats. I hope this time they are put in their place. Uefa are no angels but at least they oversea sporting competitions where participation is on merit.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just to make it clear to nearly everyone on this board, we are termed ‘legacy fans’ and this is about the future. We have been excluded from plans by the Super League. Like Hitler invading the Rhineland in 1935, we missed our chance to put a stop to this 10-20-30 years ago and it’s all too late now. RIP football, I’m done with it in all honesty.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

UEFA has always been good when it comes to this, fighting the giants, with exception of the corrupt Platini. Lennart Fat Cat Johansson was always in a war against the big clubs and Lars-Christer has always been in that battle as well. Current boss Aleksander Ceferin is also someone I have a lot of confidence in, seems to be a very genuine and well-willing person.

Much less confident that FIFA are going to step up. Olsson said yesterday that he does not rule out that there will be a conflict between UEFA and FIFA.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not sure that is what they mean by new fans. They are not concerned about which people come through the turnstile, the new fans they refer to are ones sitting on their arse in the far east paying tv subscriptions.

I totally agree, I was just using a probably quite bad analogy - 'Future' fans don't care but they do pay.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
They have already said new league is the priority and would use second string players for the domestic league.

There is talk of the ESL comprising 20 clubs. Presumably, they will play each other home and away. Thats 38 games. If they stay in the PL, thats another 38 games. We will find out in due course whether they will be competing in domestic cups. Throw in friendlies, Charity Shield, etc.
I thought these clubs wanted to play less games!!!! I thought they wanted a mid-season break!!! Bloody hell...they could be playing 85 games a season. I just cannot see how they can do both. Totally unrealistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here