Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
James Milner 'I don't like it and I hope it doesn't happen'.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It wont be like that though, the dirty dozen...... if they were allowed get away with this theft and have their pipe dream of still being allowed to play in their domestic leagues............. They would start to treat the Premier/La Liga/Serie A in the same way the top clubs these days treat the league cup and earlier rounds of FA cup.... it would reserves/kids playing the likes of us, saving the stars for the upcoming plastic super cup games

Agreed - maybe they'll get relegated to the Championship then! A grain of hope.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Well done BBC News for finding an Inter Milan fan in China who thinks it’s a good idea.

And well done again for pointing out Man Utd’s share price being up 10%. Where are they listed? New York....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its got Americans all over it.
America does not do qualification, promotion or relegation in their sport, they just make shed loads of money and they just love to take over things with their shoot now think later attitude.
However it needs calm heads to stand behind a microphone and condemn it not have a load of bell ends with no social distancing bouncing up and down singing stupid songs as is the way nowadays with people, action is needed not idiots.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
NSC never fails.
Amazing levels of hysteria re: Barber etc.
Why on earth would the club comment on this given the Premier League '14' are meeting about it tomorrow?!
Barber really gets an incredible amount of unwarranted bile.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
America does not do qualification, promotion or relegation in their sport, they just make shed loads of money and they just love to take over things with their shoot now think later attitude.
However it needs calm heads to stand behind a microphone and condemn it not have a load of bell ends with no social distancing bouncing up and down singing stupid songs as is the way nowadays with people, action is needed not idiots.

I take it they're going to be doing away with draws... sorry, ties.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Odds on Dunky doing tomorrow's post match interview.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
As an aside, if anyone hasn't read it, there is an interesting book about the Albion in the First World War. It's got some interesting stuff about the clubs early history and also about the Football League/Southern League politics, the formation of the Football Combination because of the war and some interesting parallels to this news.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wonder what will happen if this doesn't go ahead.
We've gotten pretty good as a nation at just ignoring corruption of late, but surely we can't go on as if nothing has happened?!
IMHO the clubs themselves, the players, the supporters, the towns and cities, none of them are responsible for this - it's about 15 utterly morally bankrupt men and they deserve to be banned from the game forever.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was agreeing with you right up to this point.

Are you suggesting that, the EPL should respond to teams being ripped from their own league, by ripping teams from the Scottish leagues?

I’m not sure you really get the underlying disquiet over this issue if you can suggest this as a resolution.

Feck me. :down:

This. As far as I’m concerned, those clubs are more than welcome to join the English league system in the same way Cardiff and Swansea are in it, but they start at the bottom. I can’t see them agreeing to that somehow,

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

There is a feeling that the Yanks are seriously into it, the others more for the leverage.

I can't see it happening. A climb down as fingers tremble over the red button.

Then again, I said Brexit wouldn't happen. Strange times.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher to say their not best pleased with their former employers would be a wee understatement

Let the 12 go and play franchise league (I mean leave their respective leagues) as long as Germans / French remain strong it’s dead in the water as it will becoming boring withe them having to play each other week after week and non variation of games you get from cups or the old European stuff. They can then transfer to their new homes as Shanghai Gunners, Inter Ryhad and Real Singapore. Remember the 3 Americans are behind this and if any bank really could afford the PR damage / loss of customers then Real Madrid and Barcelona are not financial viable entities ( I read somewhere that RBS should have shut down Liverpool (hicks/glazier time) but didn’t want the damage to RBS/NatWest so worked on a solution where had it been Wigan they’d have just pulled the plug

Yes EPL won’t sell for as much tv rights but it will be far more competitive - think at present we have Leicester, West Ham and Everton pushing European places (made easier by Arsenal Super League TM already playing like it doesn’t matter) they’d then currently be chasing the league, we’d feel an outside chance of Europa League place. Each season you’d feel half the league could win it, even when Liverpool dominated the late 70s/ 80s you had so many teams have a go for a couple of seasons Ipswich, Forest, Villa, Norwich, QPR, Everton even Man Utd had a go - that’s what we’d get back to. The money that would be lost would lead to players getting good but not exorbitant wages (say £20k not £60k) and let’s get rid of agents fees whilst we’re at it. Gap between championship / EPL could be reduced but maybe even that’s a step too far.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
half-barf-1.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes EPL won’t sell for as much tv rights but it will be far more competitive - think at present we have Leicester, West Ham and Everton pushing European places (made easier by Arsenal Super League TM already playing like it doesn’t matter) they’d then currently be chasing the league, we’d feel an outside chance of Europa League place. Each season you’d feel half the league could win it, even when Liverpool dominated the late 70s/ 80s you had so many teams have a go for a couple of seasons Ipswich, Forest, Villa, Norwich, QPR, Everton even Man Utd had a go - that’s what we’d get back to. The money that would be lost would lead to players getting good but not exorbitant wages (say £20k not £60k) and let’s get rid of agents fees whilst we’re at it. Gap between championship / EPL could be reduced but maybe even that’s a step too far.

I actually think the financial hit (which will come anyway even if nothing changes due to the pandemic) won’t last long as it’ll be easy to sell a competitive competition, and the standard of football will still be high (this isn’t La Liga, Leicester, Everton etc are good teams). It might not reach the heights it is now but I doubt it’ll be very low for very long.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I actually think the financial hit (which will come anyway even if nothing changes due to the pandemic) won’t last long as it’ll be easy to sell a competitive competition, and the standard of football will still be high (this isn’t La Liga, Leicester, Everton etc are good teams). It might not reach the heights it is now but I doubt it’ll be very low for very long.

Problem is, the likes of Calvert-Lewin, Maddison would end up at the greedy 6.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Problem is, the likes of Calvert-Lewin, Maddison would end up at the greedy 6.

Will the greedy 6 be able afford them?

Maddison £350m take it or leave it.

Bissouma £400m

Ben White £650m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here