Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not going to happen

Are UEFA really going to ban Ronaldo/Kane/Pogba/KDB etc?

I think they will

Remember they stand to lose their cash cow, the Champions League, or have it populated with the likes of Leicester which nobody will watch.

UEFA have no choice at all but to make a stand.

FIFA have less incentive but don't want to hand over the reigns of power in the game to American financiers

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I reckon Sky and BT won't touch this with a barge pole ... not initially. Way too toxic. they might keep bidding for rights "under review" if all the commotion dies down in a few years.

[tweet]1384119612753682441[/tweet]

As one of the replies notes, they stop short of saying they won't get involved in bidding/airing the ESL.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
nothing will take effect until the next season at the earliest. they are all, clubs and players, working in the current structures.

The SSN video posted a bit earlier suggested otherwise

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's down to FIFA and UEFA now.

If they hold the line that players in these leagues cannot enter international competitions, starting with the Euros this summer, enough players will revolt at the clubs to bring the idea down. In addition, these clubs will find it hard to recruit

If they look to find a "compromise option" this will go ahead

I think the compromise should be massive point deductions this season (just so we can finish the season) and if they go ahead next season suspension from all EPL and FA competitions. There would in effect be no relegation for the bottom three this season and three come up from the championship.

At the very least there should be a punishment this season for those that have already breached the rules by actually signing up for this, regardless of whether it goes ahead or not.

There should no compromise with these teams at all. Football is more than 12 teams and those clubs do not realise it.

If they definitely want out, then leave them out on their own.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
[tweet]1384119612753682441[/tweet]

As one of the replies notes, they stop short of saying they won't get involved in bidding/airing the ESL.

That says absolutely nothing.

Interesting to see what Sky come out with

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
I mean, this is all very cute, but the proposal is dead in the water until the real Champions of Europe give their assent

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It makes sense that the owners of these particular clubs are primarily interested in making money (ie, owners who don't care about the local fans).
If their respective local leagues allow them to do this, then it makes sense for them to do it.

If however, their local leagues refused to allow them to remain, so these clubs would be in their super league, but nothing else, would it still make financial sense for them (and the winners of the domestic competitions wouldn't join them, it would forever be the same 12 - 15 clubs)? I'm not sure, probably not, and it would be one hell of a gamble for them.

So I feel that the main question is whether or not it makes sense for the local leagues to allow it. Is it a good idea for the likes of Brighton, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham etc to allow this? To forever more be in a league system, where they're competing against other clubs who will always be given a lot more money, whilst those same clubs don't necessarily care about succeeding in the league? No, it's clearly not a good idea. So surely those 14 clubs would say no, you can't stay in our league, whilst playing in a closed shop super league.

So personally, I can't see how this can go ahead.

And IMO this can only be used as a bargaining tool if it seems to be financially sensible for these clubs to go ahead, despite being kicked out of their domestic leagues. I can't see how that would be profitable for those clubs, in which case they have nothing to bargain with.

Finally, it goes without saying that I would cancel subscriptions to all companies that pay for it.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It makes sense that the owners of these particular clubs are primarily interested in making money (ie, owners who don't care about the local fans).
If their respective local leagues allow them to do this, then it makes sense for them to do it.

If however, their local leagues refused to allow them to remain, so these clubs would be in their super league, but nothing else, would it still make financial sense for them (and the winners of the domestic competitions wouldn't join them, it would forever be the same 12 - 15 clubs)? I'm not sure, probably not, and it would be one hell of a gamble for them.

So I feel that the main question is whether or not it makes sense for the local leagues to allow it. Is it a good idea for the likes of Brighton, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham etc to allow this? To be forever more be in a league system, where they're competing against other clubs who will always be given a lot more money, whilst those same clubs don't necessarily care about succeeding in the league? No, it's clearly not a good idea. So surely those 14 clubs would say no, you can't stay in our league, whilst playing in a closed shop super league.

So personally, I can't see how this can go ahead.

And IMO this can only be used as a bargaining tool if it seems to be financially sensible for these clubs to go ahead, despite being kicked out of their domestic leagues. I can't see how that would be profitable for those clubs, in which case they have nothing to bargain with.

Finally, it goes without saying that I would cancel subscriptions to all companies that pay for it.

In theory, yes. But the problem is that the TV revenue would drop off a cliff if the greedy 6 left.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
They support the status quo, but aren't stupid enough to exclude themselves from a new status quo!

BT Sport have paid £1.2 billion for a deal to show the Champions League in the UK until 2024. I suspect they may be apoplectic at the possibility that they may be paying nearly £400 million a year for a product that they can show in England that has none of England's big six in it. I suspect that they'll be thinking about suing Uefa. Just one of the countless law suits that this will spark.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In theory, yes. But the problem is that the TV revenue would drop off a cliff if the greedy 6 left.

But it'd reset. New, lower revenue TV deal struck, all the clubs (including Brighton) renegotiate contracts accordingly.

All of this is because ALL the money goes to players. The more money that goes in to the game, the more money that goes out to players. If this is a way of curtailing player demands then it is no bad thing in my opinion

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Would love to see UEFA Kick Citeh and Chelski out of the CL this year.

And kick Arse and Manure out of the Europa league as well.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
How bad an idea is this whole thing for football, when it’s got 90% of football fans rooting for EUFA and FIFA?
Surely that must tell the ESL teams that it just isn’t popular.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Those big 6 would be replaced by others, who would start winning the titles. There would still be a champions league, with big clubs from around Europe competing to win the top title and I'd pay to see it.

The money might be reduced at the start, so players would get paid a bit less. So what? I expect the money would build back up again, as the leagues would be competitive (domestic and European).

Remember that these big 6 clubs haven't always been the big 6. Man City weren't even in the top division not long ago, and Chelsea were nothing until Roman came along. And Spurs - well I guess they never won anything anyway, so nothing would change for them. There are still plenty of well supported clubs in this country, and removing 6 would allow others to grow too.

If it were to happen, and they had to leave the PL, I'd ignore them and continue going to watch Brighton. If, however, they started this new league and were allowed to remain in the PL, I'd stop watching football altogether.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Probably. But that revenue is a relatively new thing, and we had football long before we had billion-pound TV deals.

It's interesting to wonder what things might look like 10 years into a closed-shop super league. Those big clubs are only big (aka rich) at the moment. They certainly haven't all been like that throughout their history. And they certainly haven't all been anywhere near successful at actually winning things. If they spend the next ten years only playing against each other, and not part of any other competition, no relegation or other prize to go for. Never playing any other team, not playing their any of their other rivals, just the same games again and again. I don't think that will be that attractive. Surely some of the excitement of getting into Europe is playing those other giants occasionally. That just isn't a big deal when you play them four times a season.

There will be a situation where the best players won't be always be playing in the ESL, because they won't want to jeopardise playing for their country. Obviously money will talk for many, but many others won't want to do it.

If a big chunk of money drops out of the domestic and European competitions, then transfer fees and wages go down. There can be no other alternative. So the competition might get more balanced, which will be a good thing. If they allow clubs to trade players with the ESL, then I can see a lucrative business in rinsing the shit out of the 'big twats' for the next big talent from the domestic leagues.

We really need rules like they have in Germany, to protect our clubs. It's absolutely shameful what has happened to so many of our clubs over the decades.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
shortly after the bell rang the MANU share price rocketed and increased the value of the club by $250m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here