Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ander Herrera and Mesut Ozil have both criticized the idea.

Still waiting on a current player/manager from one of the 12 clubs...won't hold my breath.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Ajax tipped to be the 13th club to join, so only two more permanet spaces will remain....

Not surprising. Interesting that PSG are still refusing to join so far, wouldn't be surprised to see that change at some point. The owners of Bayern will also be quietly fuming they can't join - again wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to work out a way of getting involved.

Other options - Porto? Napoli? Lyon?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If even half of that is true then proves what utter ***** these owners are.

Explosive stuff

The fact that Saudi Arabian companies are being sounded out about the broadcasting rights, sounds about right to me

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Not surprising. Interesting that PSG are still refusing to join so far, wouldn't be surprised to see that change at some point. The owners of Bayern will also be quietly fuming they can't join - again wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to work out a way of getting involved.

Other options - Porto? Napoli? Lyon?

Porto already rejected an invite

Suspect RB Leipzig will jump at the chance if invited

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just noticed Bananaman was trending on twitter, so had a look. This sums it up:

[tweet]1384064979620425730[/tweet]

However, Beano have commented (quoting one of the earlier, possibly earliest, iterations of the joke):

[tweet]1384102870442668036[/tweet]

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I just dont see the longevity in what is ideally wanted by those behind the Super League. If they want the big teams involved to play in their new competition and ideally only their competition, and also there is little room for relegation or for new teams to be involved then that essentially means they want a Champions league style format that is just repeated each year. Even the fans of those clubs will switch off after a few years.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Also interesting that some of the 14 clubs are talking about sanctioning them this season.

It could mean reprieves for the current bottom 3 and automatic promotion for Barnsley

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I just dont see the longevity in what is ideally wanted by those behind the Super League. If they want the big teams involved to play in their new competition and ideally only their competition, and also there is little room for relegation or for new teams to be involved then that essentially means they want a Champions league style format that is just repeated each year. Even the fans of those clubs will switch off after a few years.

Though less likely the ones in the emerging markets

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
2ED5CAB1-9365-4168-80A6-E252A2FAF6C0.png

Wow, never seen an official go in this hard.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
oooh now maxi-franchise - if they moved the Man city to the New York city branch and added them into the comp, plus Boca Jrs and flamengo it would be intresting.............

plus Perth Glory, Cario Pyramids and the Kaizer chiefs

Two leagues, one on US & S.America timezones, one on Asian timezones, 10 teams in each. play-offs/final in hired venues in Europe to cater for both markets. (or alternative between US/Asia and cut Europe out altogether)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's down to FIFA and UEFA now.

If they hold the line that players in these leagues cannot enter international competitions, starting with the Euros this summer, enough players will revolt at the clubs to bring the idea down. In addition, these clubs will find it hard to recruit

If they look to find a "compromise option" this will go ahead

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I reckon Sky and BT won't touch this with a barge pole ... not initially. Way too toxic. they might keep bidding for rights "under review" if all the commotion dies down in a few years.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

If they hold the line that players in these leagues cannot enter international competitions, starting with the Euros this summer, enough players will revolt at the clubs to bring the idea down. In addition, these clubs will find it hard to recruit

nothing will take effect until the next season at the earliest. they are all, clubs and players, working in the current structures.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Not going to happen

Are UEFA really going to ban Ronaldo/Kane/Pogba/KDB etc?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I feel there's just too many unworkable logistics for this to happen. The teams and league organisations would never be able to come to an agreement. Either this will not happen because its logistical cluster**** that or the teams involved will be told to do one, and drop out of the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here