[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Are we far off clubs having a domestic manager and a separate European manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Has anyone pointed out how ludicrous it is to describe Tottenham as one of Europe's leading clubs?

Domestically they've won two league cups in the past 30 years. In European terms they're nowhere. According to the UEFA website they're number 66 in the all time European cup/Champions league ranking. They've played a total of six seasons in the tournament despite the fact that England has had multiple representatives in it for several decades.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile...Publications/02/28/56/90/2285690_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I'd also like to point out that Aston Villa have the same number of European cup/champions league titles as Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and spurs combined. Nottingham Forest have double their combined total.

It's definitely about merit and sporting success this European Super League...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
E51E2EAC-2A36-4EC3-9C01-1425CD848E30.jpeg

I’ve always liked Klopp, I think he actually gets it.

MNF tonight is a not miss.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Has anyone pointed out how ludicrous it is to describe Tottenham as one of Europe's leading clubs?

Domestically they've won two league cups in the past 30 years. In European terms they're nowhere. According to the UEFA website they're number 66 in the all time European cup/Champions league ranking. They've played a total of six seasons in the tournament despite the fact that England has had multiple representatives in it for several decades.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile...Publications/02/28/56/90/2285690_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I'd also like to point out that Aston Villa have the same number of European cup/champions league titles as Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and spurs combined. Nottingham Forest have double their combined total.

...or money. It might be about money. Definitely "Merit and Sporting Success" or money. One or the other.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Spurs have a billion pound stadium, and a debt to match.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
One thing I don’t understand, and I may have missed it, but the 5 ‘ invited’ clubs that would come in in a yearly basis, what happens to them if EUFA and the National leagues carry out their threat to ban any club involved? Surely, it would kill any club outside of the permanent 15 to be involved.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yes I pointed it out as well.

It’s laughable. There’s clubs in the Championship who have won more in recent history and overall history than Spurs have. Yet they’re self appointed as an elite club now.

Arsenal laughable as well, currently languishing as a mid table team.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not sure that quote is genuine, would be a little surprised he would be that blunt at this time and saying he has requested 'a meeting with John' doesn't quite sound right but he has spoken out against the super league before.

I think Klopp and Liverpool might have run their course anyway though so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a parting of the ways regardless of this.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Every wondered what football would be like if the Big 6 were run by Bill Archer alikes? Well wonder no more.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes I pointed it out as well.

It’s laughable. There’s clubs in the Championship who have won more in recent history and overall history than Spurs have. Yet they’re self appointed as an elite club now.

Arsenal laughable as well, currently languishing as a mid table team.

Whilst Arsenal are pretty piss poor at the moment they do at least have pedigree. They're the third most successful club domestically and have played in Europe every season for something like the past 25 years. Admittedly that run is(or now we've had this announcement I guess we should change to was) about to end next season.

It's laughable all round. I wonder how long it'll take before these clubs get franchised and moved. You don't need to have six clubs from the same country and you certainly don't need two from manchester and three from London. Don't need two from Madrid either. The States, Asia and Africa could do with a few teams...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
One thing I don’t understand, and I may have missed it, but the 5 ‘ invited’ clubs that would come in in a yearly basis, what happens to them if EUFA and the National leagues carry out their threat to ban any club involved? Surely, it would kill any club outside of the permanent 15 to be involved.

Not sure the likes of Shanghai or LA Galaxy give two sh1ts tbh. This is never going to be about European football and the guest clubs will be to grow the appeal of the league in various global markets.

No different to, say, Israel being in the Eurovision Song Contest. Europe can have very flexibility borders if the money is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports