Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Not complaining where BHA are now

But have to say some of the most fun was at away days during the Withdean years, football sometimes ugly but some very enjoyable outings.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Take away the constant reminder of our need to find a home of our own and the concern over making ends meet, then the Withdean years look truly golden... even now.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Government is apparently making a call to UEFA and seeing what powers they have in stopping this.

Boris isn't working out which way the crowd are running then getting to the front to claim that he's leading them is he?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
#GameChanger :lolol:

[tweet]1383886973358600198[/tweet]

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Take away the constant reminder of our need to find a home of our own and the concern over making ends meet, then the Withdean years look truly golden... even now.

Not even hindsight. My wife was working in India for two months right at the end of the 1997 season, thereby leaving the way clear for me to attend most matches. I remember speaking to her on the phone and saying how bizarre it was that we were at the arse end of the league, fighting for our lives and yet I had never enjoyed following the club as much. Even in the midst of all the mayhem, I appreciated how seismic it all was and felt thrilled to be a part of it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Mourinho sacked.

Some on Twitter claiming that it's because he refused to take training this morning over the ESL situation.

Probably 2 + 2 = 5, but there we go.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bet the big 6 managers are really looking forward to their pre- and post-match interviews this week.

First up Klopp tonight then Tuchel tomorrow, a couple of Germans who may be torn by their countryfolk's determination to resist the idea.

Then Pep goes on Wednesday, a Barca hero who usually has a measured tone. Jose might be disappointed he doesn't now get to vent on the same night, having made his name with Porto in the champions league.

Mikel Arteta will know what side his bread is buttered on Friday night, whilst Ole gets time to consider his response (learn the lines his boss gives him) before United's next game on Sunday.

Will there be a hint or two of displeasure or a thorough chorus of 'above my pay grade' type platitudes. Expect lots of 'Premier League is world's greatest competition'- type remarks

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Mourinho sacked.

Some on Twitter claiming that it's because he refused to take training this morning over the ESL situation.

Probably 2 + 2 = 5, but there we go.

you've got the scoop on that one mate

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So would I but I'm not holding my breath. As I said, it's one thing to condemn, it's another to do something about it.

But if he does, I'll applaud him for it

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
How unsurprising that major players seem to be American financiers. Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool's owners, JP Morgan, AC Milan's owners. All of them after the cartel protection that they would enjoy in MLB or NFL. Those that pretend belief in the power of the market and the sanctity of competition once again only interested in protecting opportunity for competition if they are outside looking in, not inside building a wall of protectionism. Despicable cultural leeches: whether it be sport, television, music, information technology, film, theatre, they are modern day Midas's trying to turn everything they touch into gold, without a care that doing so kills it.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Insider on SSN claimed that these clubs would play a weakened side in the PL (provided they’re allowed to stay) and save their best players for the ESL in midweek, which would become their priority.

Interesting to see how teams like Arsenal would manage if this were the case, they’re struggling in the league as it is. If they played a second string team in the PL and got relegated, would they have a Championship team in the ESL?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
So, Americans want to ruin our soccer in the manner of NFL, Barca and Real are broke and desperate for more money any way they can grab it, some "famous" English clubs that haven't won shit for decades want to tailgate along. And all because football (and gambling) is huge in Asia (60% of the world's population). What an absolute mess.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Insider on SSN claimed that these clubs would play a weakened side in the PL (provided they’re allowed to stay) and save their best players for the ESL in midweek, which would become their priority.

Interesting to see how teams like Arsenal would manage if this were the case, they’re struggling in the league as it is. If they played a second string team in the PL and got relegated, would they have a Championship team in the ESL?

We’ll think about it, if all these super teams get 3 billion extra for wages and transfers they could easily field 2 quality teams. Forget the Arsenal of now, it could be like having 6 Man City’s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here