Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I wonder which other three clubs will be invited to join!

If it's one more EPL club then that shifts the voting balance. At the moment, the other 14 have the voting power but take just one out then it the EPL becomes impotent.

I'm sure I read somewhere any kicking out would be down to the executives of the premier league rather than a vote

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The money won't remain in the premier league if it is no longer competitive because the only prize is the top spot. These clubs will no longer take domestic competition seriously

You're assuming UEFA decide to shut down their cup competitions then? If the Greedy 6 go, UEFA will still have it's European Cup (and always will), it's just these scrotes won't be able to compete in it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
You're assuming UEFA decide to shut down their cup competitions then? If the Greedy 6 go, UEFA will still have it's European Cup (and always will), it's just these scrotes won't be able to compete in it.

No. Just assuming said competitions won't hold the same attraction to broadcasters

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

If it's one more EPL club then that shifts the voting balance. At the moment, the other 14 have the voting power but take just one out then it the EPL becomes impotent.

You think clubs like run by whityer than white owners such as, let's say West Ham, wouldn't rush towards the runt end of this particular trough if they were incvited to do so.

The Greedy 6 are clearly just plain disgusting, but for years they have been allowed to manipulate the finances of football because they have had the backing of those reprehensible cling-on parasite types that stand behind the bullies, leaning over shouting "yeah! Ave it!" who are just to scared to call out the bullies for what they are.

Thanbk goodness we support a club that does have a spine and does stand up to these to$$ers.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Depends how much they piss other football organisations off.

It's the simplest way to **** them and the Super League over.

But the reality is the domestic clubs need these big clubs and their superstar players, they're not going to do anything that stops them playing in their leagues.

The only way this abomination was ever not going to happen was if the owners of the super clubs had a genuine love for the club/league/sport and cared about integrity. Unfortunately that is obviously a pipe dream and as soon as foreign investors got involved, this was the natural conclusion.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think they are probably hoping for PSG, Bayern (both seemingly reluctant but no real "Super League" without them) and another club (Ajax?).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But the reality is the domestic clubs need these big clubs and their superstar players, they're not going to do anything that stops them playing in their leagues.

The only way this abomination was ever not going to happen was if the owners of the super clubs had a genuine love for the club/league/sport and cared about integrity. Unfortunately that is obviously a pipe dream and as soon as foreign investors got involved, this was the natural conclusion.

It's a reset. Few years of pain but **** it. Kick them out, negotiate TV deals without them and that is what we deal with.

Goes back to the 80s and 90s but football thrived then and it can thrive again.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Well there you go...

https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1384062591450771465

[tweet]1384062591450771465[/tweet]

"Legacy Fans!" Like The Labour Party had 'legacy voters' in Scotland and the North of England? People whose problems can be ignored as they have no other options. Turns out that they find other options. I can't imagine any proper football fan wanting to watch a single game in this meaningless non-competition. The 'fans of the future' are welcome to it. I hope that they don't get bored and move on to something else...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
be keen to some more detail on how it would work.

So we are heading towards a situation where if they drop the idea then they get billions more to stay.

Thats the powerplay ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They have been told that now yes. But they are also gambling on winning legal arguments to stay I’m sure and gambling that the other 14 clubs will cave in because they feel that without them in the PL the competition doesn’t exist. They can stand there and say without us are sky Amazon BT ect going to pay for this?

Yes, the remaining PL clubs will get less money but they'll then cut players' salaries too. I also suspect that Sky et al would have to reduce their subscriptions.

They'll certainly still be takers for the PL even without the Six. Everton, Leicester, Villa, Newcastle and Leeds have plenty of support. And if they throw in Rangers and Celtic too, they'll have a pretty strong league.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
be keen to some more detail on how it would work.

So we are heading towards a situation where if they drop the idea then they get billions more to stay.

Thats the powerplay ?

Exactly what I've said in previous post. There is no way this Super League goes ahead if those clubs will be removed from their domestic leagues.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Apologies if I've missed it, but if they're playing midweek in Europe, are they expecting to be given Saturday 3pm games every week? (At which they'll presumably play half their second string players?)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think they are probably hoping for PSG, Bayern (both seemingly reluctant but no real "Super League" without them) and another club (Ajax?).

PSG, Baytern and Dotrmund. The big 5 leagues will then get one other qualifier from each league to make up the 20, so a closed shop to the rest of Europe including the Dutch and Portugese Leagues.

Also likely that the three North West clubs and 3 London clubs will be in seperate leagues so we will get Man U v Liverpool four times a season and Arsenal v Tottingham.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apologies if I've missed it, but if they're playing midweek in Europe, are they expecting to be given Saturday 3pm games every week? (At which they'll presumably play half their second string players?)

no different to current requirement imposed by UEFA, who dictate scheduling to fit around their cups. which will have more games in their new model.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

No as the games will be played out over at least three midweek nights, Tuesday to Thursday. Ideally they would like Monday to Friday, with 10 games each week it would mean two kick off slots each night so everyone can watch every game.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From the Premier League rule book - https://resources.premierleague.com...a-4c6bc33368fa/2020-21-PL-Handbook-110920.pdf

L.9. Except with the prior written approval of the Board, during the Season a Club shall
not enter or play its senior men’s first team in any competition other than:
L.9.1. the UEFA Champions League;
L.9.2. the UEFA Europa League;
L.9.3. the F.A. Cup;
L.9.4. the F.A. Community Shield;
L.9.5. the Football League Cup; or
L.9.6. competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This should be a great thing for Labour to campaign against. It's one thing presiding over the break-up of the United Kingdom but if the Tories are seen to be presiding over the break-up for the football league structure in England, that's something for opposition parties to really get their teeth into

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This should be a great thing for Labour to campaign against. It's one thing presiding over the break-up of the United Kingdom but if the Tories are seen to be presiding over the break-up for the football league structure in England, that's something for opposition parties to really get their teeth into

Boris condemned it yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here