Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

el punal

With FIFA and UEFA vehemently opposed to this “super league” and threatening sanctions on players involvement in it surely leaves those players in a dilemma. Knowing that if they take part in the ESL the players will forfeit the right to take part in any other recognised competition.

So the players predicament is this :

Do they accept the Judas thirty pieces of silver with an “I’m alright Jack” attitude of greed and arrogance?

Or, do they have a conscience and consider the implications of reneging on everything that football holds dear?

Contractually where do they stand if they oppose their club’s stance in this matter?

We await and see.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I suppose their used to playing in empty stadiums now.

I wish I could be bothered (or know how) to dig back through my quotes from a couple of years ago, where the conversation was about ridiculous kick off times making away fixtures difficult for fans to get home from - I said then that fans are just an inconvience to the TV companies and that they would be more than happy to see games played to empty stadiums, as then they could schedule kick off times to suit the market.

Roll forward to Covid times and that's precisely what is being done and I can't see the TV companies letting go of their gains, whether this Super Duper League happens or not...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting for players. They’re under contracts so a bit stuck regardless I think. But those with ‘Champions league’ bonuses / clauses would be interesting ? Would they perhaps need new contracts to maximise their earnings ?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Arsetown Vanilla....jumped up little sh!theads...never ever forget them for shafting us over Gareth Barry. Neville is right, give them all a points deduction now and start them all at minus 25 points next season for being impudent....

TNBA

TTF

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Contractually where do they stand if they oppose their club’s stance in this matter?

Interesting for players. They’re under contracts so a bit stuck regardless I think.

I've been thinking about this too. Do players' contracts make reference about them being free to play for their national sides? Do they make reference to them playing in the PL?

If they do make these references then surely the contracts are null and void and players can walk away from them, if they choose.

Lawyers are going to have a field day on this

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Personally, if this money grabbing scheme does reach fulfilment, I won’t be watching any games, and I will cancel any tv provider that broadcasts it.
I feel the same, and am sure all the fans of the the clubs involved will feel likewise. However it’s not the domestic market establishing this NFL style franchise this greedy elite is targeting, it’s aimed globally, and particularly at the Asian market and America where tradition for football counts for nowt.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It would seem so.

The Premier League TV deal was ~£5bn split between 20 clubs. This new league, if I've read it right, means a guaranteed £3.5bn per club. Just for being in it.

It's not per club.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not per club.

No?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong:

In their own announcement, the breakaways clubs state 'The Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.'

To be fair, £3.5bn per club does seem entirely insane. Gobsmacking amounts of money.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I suspect the so called big 6 clubs are aware this is extremely unlikely to get off the ground but has been done almost as a threat to enable them to negotiate a bigger slice of the pie from tv and other income streams .

So wrong on so many levels .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Premier League TV deal was ~£5bn split between 20 clubs. This new league, if I've read it right, means a guaranteed £3.5bn per club. Just for being in it.

Not per club.

I don't understand this bit. That works out at just over £200m per club but clubs get this from PL and CL/Europa leagues now - Liverpool made £500m in profit last year, how does the Super League guarantee more revenue.

Of course, this may not include TV money - which will be a hefty sum - but I imagine that JP Morgan would want a big slice of that otherwise why would they be stumping up the money? They're not a charity.

I just don't see how walking away from the PL brings them more money

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The 39th game. There was talk about an extra EPL game played in Asia. If these clubs do break away what's to stop them playing these games overseas? Fans, who needs them when millions will pay big money to see their club play.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope the footballing community at large just calls their bluff and tells them to get on with it.

It is going to be a complete disaster for whoever is offering the money. Like others on here, I'll be cancelling whichever TV provider shows it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
PL would become a farce with possibility of say Arsenal,Chelsea and Tottenham finishing 7th 9th and 10th and still qualifying

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Sky sports saying the super League are already taking legal action to prevent the legal action of uefa etc

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Not per club.

I don't understand this bit. That works out at just over £200m per club but clubs get this from PL and CL/Europa leagues now - Liverpool made £500m in profit last year, how does the Super League guarantee more revenue.

Of course, this may not include TV money - which will be a hefty sum - but I imagine that JP Morgan would want a big slice of that otherwise why would they be stumping up the money? They're not a charity.

I just don't see how walking away from the PL brings them more money

They don’t want to walk away from the PL though. They want that money as well. They just want to close up the shop for the mid week super league and guarantee themselves another £250-£300 million per season. A closed champions league if you like. So even if they finish bottom of the PL they can be relegated but still play in Europe mid week for the extra money. Just another way of making the top or supposedly top 6 clubs richer and eliminates any real excitement in the PL. By the sounds of it they will make 1 place available each season from the top 5 leagues to join on a 1 off basis each season but domestic competitions would slowly die as there would be no excitement no one striving for anything bar avoiding relegation.
Joke of a idea. Appeals to those watching in America, Africa, Asia but fans of the clubs who go week in and week out who part with hard earned cash have basically been told they don’t matter

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Posted this in the who will lead the fight back thread, but it feels more general, too.

I doubt anyone will. They'll talk a bit, but no one will actually put up a fight until they know just how much money this super league promises to send their way. The premier league won't kick the big six out - it gives them no choice but to go ahead with the super league, and then the big money TV contracts will shift to the super league (and with the money goes the better players) and the premier league will miss out. So kicking them out is a non-starter. Ban them from the FA cup and League cup? They barely pay attention until the final and even then the money won is so small compared to what they get in the champions league already they won't care when they get more from the super league.

From a fan perspective we wil hear the criticisms now, but when the games start it'll be 'it's not the players' fault, we need to support them' 'it's in my blood' 'I'm supporting the team and the club, not the owners, it's them that made the decision not the club' 'I don't want to go to the super league games, but if I don't they'll take away my season ticket and I won't get it back if they cancel the super league because none of us turned up' 'what's the point in not going? the pandemic has show football can continue without fans'

The worst thing about this, is that it is pretty much inevitable. All that's left is the posturing and negotiating for how much of a cut the rest of us get to "let them" do it, and how the teams involved fit it into their schedule (i.e. do they drop out of competitions, etc to fit them in).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They don’t want to walk away from the PL though. They want that money as well.

But they've been told that if they go ahead with this they'll be chucked out of the PL. So, in effect, they are walking away from it

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Benfica, Celtic, Feyenoord, Ajax, Forest, Villa, Hamburg, Steaua Bucharest, Porto, PSV, Red Star Belgrade, Marseille & Dortmund have won 19 European Cups.

Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Man City and Spurs have won 0.

The only thing 'super' about most of these ESL clubs is their debt level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here