Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'“Our 12 Founder clubs represent billions of fans across the globe and 99 European trophies'

Of which Manchester City have won....none.

Ipswich Town have a bigger claim.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Good luck with that.

Notice how quiet FIFA have been for starters.

They didn't put their name to the opposing statement but are included in it.

If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As Danny Murphy said on MOTD, what player wants to go and play in a league knowing that that is the only football that they will ever play and they will not be able to play for their country? I am sure some will but I would hope not many. Well we will now see how the managers and players of these clubs feel about it. If they have any respect for the game in this country they should walk out.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
FIGHT punish:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As Danny Murphy said on MOTD, what player wants to go and play in a league knowing that that is the only football that they will ever play and they will not be able to play for their country? I am sure some will but I would hope not many. Well we will now see how the managers and players of these clubs feel about it. If they have any respect for the game in this country they should walk out.

Klopp and Guardiola will hate it.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In one way it's quite reassuring how incredibly detached and clueless the owners of these clubs are in their misjudgement of what they think they can get away with plus the awful timing ... expecting to see some Olympic standard rowing backwards (bottling it) in the coming days.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It looks like the league has a minimum of 20 matches.

If a club is automatically entitled then why would they be bothered with their national league. They would treat it like the FA Cup.

EDIT: A team who reaches the final will have played 25 matches.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As Sir Matt Busby said 'you have to remember football is not just about sport, it's a business and has to make money'.

Oh hang on, wrong quote.

As Sir Matt Busby said, 'Football is nothing without fans'.

Phew, that was close. Glad I deleted the first one. Oh, hang on again:facepalm:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
They didn't put their name to the opposing statement but are included in it.

I'm currently listening to 5 live, and the impression they seem to be giving is that FIFA may well be on board with a ESL. They already back proposals for one in Africa apparently.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I have never read such hypocritical bollocks. The solution to the inequalities in the football pyramid is to pay £3.5 BILLION to each of these clubs to start a Super League.

15 founding clubs that can never be out of it and 5 other clubs 'invited' to join each season.

Words fail me

I could be wrong but is it not £3.5 Billion to share?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hang on! We are 29 pages in on this thread and is it just me being a fxxkwit or are loads of other people also thinking that the involvement of these clubs in a Super League meant that they would no longer be competing in the Premier league? Lots of posters comments clearly suggest that. However, is the reality is that all that is being proposed is a rival to the EUEFA champions league?

I thought the same. That’s what we all assumed I thought? So they’re suggesting to play this and not the champions league?! Regardless, it’s an additional 18+ games and shit load more travelling at a time when many of the coaches are moaning of too many games and the risks of injury etc. Absolute shocking decision - hypocritical and pure greed. Would also make the gap in the prem a lot larger - if they did stay in the league too.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As mark Chapman has just said on MOTD2

Football is in a massive greed motivated mess.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought the same. That’s what we all assumed I thought? So they’re suggesting to play this and not the champions league?! Regardless, it’s an additional 18+ games and shit load more travelling at a time when many of the coaches are moaning of too many games and the risks of injury etc. Absolute shocking decision - hypocritical and pure greed. Would also make the gap in the prem a lot larger - if they did stay in the league too.

UEFA, PL and other leagues are clear that those in this European League would not play in domestic competitions.

However the greedy clubs will try and bribe their way back in with £££. I hope we shun that. I fear we (they) will not.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have never read such hypocritical bollocks. The solution to the inequalities in the football pyramid is to pay £3.5 BILLION to each of these clubs to start a Super League.

15 founding clubs that can never be out of it and 5 other clubs 'invited' to join each season.

Words fail me

“We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to their desires.”

Shall we do a poll for these 4 billion fans of football as I’m sure I haven’t been asked my opinion?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Surely the EPL can suspend them immediately for breaching the rules. Leicester top of the league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here