Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perhaps the other 14 should be holding a meeting to determine what action they can take collectively? Maybe vote the 6 out of the PL and shunt another 6 up from the championship and so on. If the 6 want a competition that has no qualification requirement then give them plenty of time to practice next season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly, good riddance.

It's going to happen. The money men will keep chipping away until they get it.

I won't be watching any games featuring these teams (outside of Albion games).

TBH, the Champions League hasn't meant anything to me for a few years now. Meh!

FIFA should ban any players taking part from international competitions - they won't - but that would pull part of the rug from under them.

The champions' league will improve, because the numpty pirates won't be in it.

Meadowlark Lemon Harlem 3.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps the other 14 should be holding a meeting to determine what action they can take collectively? Maybe vote the 6 out of the PL and shunt another 6 up from the championship and so on. If the 6 want a competition that has no qualification requirement then give them plenty of time to practice next season.

Will SheffU, Brighton and WBA be allowed to vote, or will it be Norwich, Watford and Bmuff?

When’s the handover?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
A glance at the very sweary Spurs forum shows 95% against it and some fans very unhappy at the prospect. I hope this backfires horribly for the owners of all the clubs involved.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The big growth area in broadcast deals is in Asia.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premier-league-tv-rights-value-domestic-international

In any case consumer threats will come to nothing. I won’t be cancelling my subscriptions as I pay mainly to watch BHA on tv. I am also happy to see the back of the big 6. I won’t be the only one.

That link is about the EPL, not the CL. I am talking about pre-emptive threat, not actual cancellation. If the big six go, the EPL will be diminished, not through the loss of the actual clubs, but through the loss of money.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That link is about the EPL, not the CL. I am talking about pre-emptive threat, not actual cancellation. If the big six go, the EPL will be diminished, not through the loss of the actual clubs, but through the loss of money.

But closer parity [financially] between the EPL and EFL would be a good thing for competitiveness etc.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And what's the common denominator for those top 6 clubs? Probably the greatest number of plastic fans who just watch the game from their armchair and have no concept of wet windy Tuesday night away to Stockport County stood on a terrace.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those defending it on R5 phone-in are complete morons. Some think that the breakaway teams will continue playing in the EPL. Others are simply drivveling eejits that would make Loony look insightful. And rather a lot of cerebrovascular stroke sufferers in favour of the pirate league it seems. Don't phone a radio station if you have a thinking disability. I'm sorry for your situation but, no, you can't drive my car, plan my pension or run my ****ing football!!!!

:facepalm:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
And what's the common denominator for those top 6 clubs? Probably the greatest number of plastic fans who just watch the game from their armchair and have no concept of wet windy Tuesday night away to Stockport County stood on a terrace.

That's the thought I just had: for a lot of people who watch a club (plenty of Liverpool fans in Brighton for example) this will make absolutely zero difference to their supporting experience.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I suspect this is a last push by these clubs to get more concessions from uefa on the new format of the cl. I understand they were due to announce tomorrow. And it’ll probably work. If they do break away, **** em

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think the big 6 breaking away has been inevitable for some time. The timing of this however in the middle of a pandemic when fans have been unable to attend matches for a year, is horrible and just simple shouts ‘GREED’ from the roof tops!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sadly fans seem to be an irrelevance in this greed guided look after themselves escapade

Depends who wins. I think we will win. One way or another.

Bloke on phone in says he'd rather go to Brighton away than Real Madrid :thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Those defending it on R5 phone-in are complete morons. Some think that the breakaway teams will continue playing in the EPL.

that is their intention isnt it? the Super League being an alternative to the current Champions League.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I'd understand it better if it truly was the top (say) 3 teams from top 6 countries. This seems more like a Kerry Packer style breakaway. Then, the players had sanctions but could see on top of players not playing for their country, clubs not allowed to play in any other competitions.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The bag has no cat in it currently and even if they backtrack they will demand loads more money for themselves, if they do the rest should vote to break away from the supposed top 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here