Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No lose situation for them, they will get more cash from the EPL to tie them in for a few more years and they get one step closer to their closed shop European nirvana :wanker:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
let them, its about time they flew the nest. domestic football is restricting the biggest clubs, they can play PSG, Milan, Bayer, instead of Burnley, Villa and Newcastle. the fans would love it, we'll probably all watch it (despite the moans now). and no more whining about fixture list too busy, they'll have their winter holiday. meanwhile we can get on with a sensible league with more level field. seriously, its time. question is which of Tottenham and Chelsea wouldnt make the cut, or whether they'd have some promotion/relegation from the national leagues?

You say we’d all watch it?
I think you may be over estimating that. I stopped watching the European Cup mini league games several years ago. They are in the main, awful,it is funny when Manchester United etc get beaten by a part time team from Outer Mongolia, but, the league format means even United can usually get their shit together and qualify to get knocked out by the first decent team they play, in the knockout rounds.

Why, when the European Cup was only competed for by national champions was it called the European Cup, but now any Tom , Dick, or Harry can qualify, is it called “The Champions League “?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
They will back it all the way, at least the ones in NYC and Shanghai. Oh the locals, who cares. Boston Kop v New York Reds anyone. If they don't get what they want they franchise to the US.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Meh, it won't happen....

Last weeks idea was the start and this is all part of the process of getting what they want, we said no to that, they throw this at us, expecting us to cry please don't go, I suspect the owners will have not taken into account the average british fan, will gladly say yeah go on then feck off.
The logistics will work against a full time European League of "The Big Clubs" fans of German/ Italian and Spanish clubs, will not stand for this....
There is too much domestic revenue to be lost and a chance, fans will boycott it.
There is too much money to be made in the Premier League for them to venture off into the unknown, it is all about control, they are tightening the screws to see how much power they can wrestle from the smaller clubs, how much more money can they make and not share.

In my lowly opinion they should not really be travelling around during a pandemic playing in Europe right now, the only reason is money.

It would be a sad day, for football fans everywhere, I am losing patience with the Premier League big six, VAR and pay per view.....

It pains me to say, i am nearly done with all this bullshit, bully boy, rich boy tactics....

shit year, shit big six bollox, shit refs, shit var, shit ppv, shit goverment, shit covid, shit trump, shit, shit, shit

This , this , this, this, this.

I said in another thread, I’m really, really, disillusioned with football at the moment.

It all boils down to greed, and I don’t like it.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

An 18 team Euro Super League would look something like:

Man U
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Dortmund
Bayern
Ajax
PSG
Atletico Madrid
Barca
Real Madrid
Porto
Benfica
Juventus
Roma
AC Milan
Inter Milan

Bit like the Champions League every year ..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It won’t be this

I think it will be worse than that.

Man United “B” PL side will be made up of the best players from other clubs - they will go all out to have the best PL team and Super league

You're probably right - I was just expressing what I would LIKE to happen................

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do any fans of any club want this?

Arsenal and Man Utd fans will soon get disillusioned when they don’t win every week.

Greedy ******** wanting the best of both worlds.

If they got on top of player wages then there would be plenty of money sloshing around without the need for this shite European Super League.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not according to the rants happening on the radio now by fans phoning in - 'disgusted' Liverpool fans etc.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
You say we'll probably all watch it, but my interest in the Champions League was broken years ago. Why would I watch the same teams in a League format when I don't watch them in the current Champions League or Europa League format? There has been uproar over PPV prices. How much would this Euro Super League cost and who would pay?

Absolutely this. I can't actually remember the last time I sat down and watched a full 90 minutes of a Champions League match.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Not convinced there's an appetite for it. Haven't Champions League viewing figures declined significantly since it moved from ITV to the paywall boondocks of BT Sport?

Maybe appeal to the TV audiences but the actual fans that go to Anfield, Old Trafford, Camp Nou, Parc de Prince won't want daft kick off times for Asian and American TV primetime

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Lets be honest, The Champions League group stages are a borefest and are in desperate need of a revamp. They weren't always either as the big guns used to fall at the first hurdle before it became entirely predictable. The Europa league is likewise and seen as a chore for anyone in it. A midweek European League - with qualification from respective Leagues on an annual basis - wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if it replaced a CL where you could probably guess 12/16 teams that will make the quarter finals now and the boat load of meaningless games that spin off from it. Off the top of my head, a Euro Div 1,2,3 with say the top 12 in the PL getting in every year would be better than the existing cup competitions and more exciting for teams like us that will never trouble the top 6 on a regular basis but it must, must be based on some sort of merit and not be a closed shop.

This is why though, the power must remain shared because one things for sure, anything dreamt up by Man Utd or Liverpool will only have their interests at heart. Done probably - and done properly being the key to this - it could actually be better all round. Self interest, though, will take over and whatever is dreamt up will be shite. Sigh.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A European ‘super’ fat cat league has been mooted for years, all about money and will be a closed shop. I don’t see anything happening too soon as most of the clubs are tied into TV deals eg the BT Champions league deal runs until 2024, I guess each country will have different deals. If it happens it will be more like creating a franchise and nothing to do with football as understood now.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
At least part of this is trying to get leverage at forcing the Premier League and the CL to do what they tell them. I'm not sure that will work, because they will surely try and stay involved in both competitions (if they can).

Two things:
1) This sort of situation is going to keep happening until they actually do go at some point. It might be better sooner and then the rest of us can enjoy football again.
2) Their proposed league is crap. It has a league, then it has a knockout tournament at the end. So it's not a league, it's just the same teams playing each other for ever, like the Scottish PremierLeague. I bet there's no relegation, either. It will quickly be dull if you actually like football.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You say we’d all watch it?
I think you may be over estimating that. I stopped watching the European Cup mini league games several years ago. They are in the main, awful,it is funny when Manchester United etc get beaten by a part time team from Outer Mongolia, but, the league format means even United can usually get their shit together and qualify to get knocked out by the first decent team they play, in the knockout rounds.

Why, when the European Cup was only competed for by national champions was it called the European Cup, but now any Tom , Dick, or Harry can qualify, is it called “The Champions League “?

I wouldn’t subscribe to any tv channel just for The Champions League alone. If they put it in with a restructured package I’m pretty sure I’d be out. I want the Premier League but I generally don’t know which teams contested last seasons final.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
if its by invitation, no legal argument. if there's promotion, it'll change each year (rigged so as to keep numbers from countries in limits)

I'm not convinced about this. Everton's Chinese owners have pumped a lot of money into the club, a lot of money. Let's suppose they pump in even more and win the PL next season. I can't see the owners, having made that investment, will happily shrug their shoulders and kiss goodbye to European riches. Remember, Chinese firms have plenty of clout these days.

I'm not quite sure what will happen. Maybe some clubs will find their loans foreclosed; maybe the Chinese banks put up the money for a competition that's even richer.

And what happens if Chelsea are not part of the process. Abramovitch is renowned for his ruthlessness, he didn't rich running dolls' tea parties. I'm not convinced he'd happily walk away either ... and he's in tight with the Russian government.

This could get very messy.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Hardly a surprise, I have been waiting for this to happen for a couple of years. This is the problem with clubs being owned as businesses rather than community based assets.

Stumpy Tim

I can imagine there eventually being 2 European Super Leagues with promotion & relegation - 18 in each division. Teams like Celtic & Rangers would be invited to join that, and we´ll start to see an evening up of the domestic leagues. I genuinely think this is a good thing. Less predictable, wages will go down, and transfer fees may well become less ridiculous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here