Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool and Manchester United lead ‘European League’ breakout league idea

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Aha, it's this time of the year again, is it? Gets earlier every season. At this rate the "39th game" will be back on the agenda as early as January.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It'll never happen bacause after a hard brexit they won't be allowed in Europe, so Manure and Liverpool will end up in some Merican superleague

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fine. But it should be one thing or the other. PL or ESL if you join the european league thats it your done in England at all levels. No PL2 U'23's no youth teams etc etc.

It does present the scenario that if the European League is where the money's at, Liverpool and Man Utd could field weakened teams in the EPL, and that would devalue the EPL.

That - in itself - would be ironic coming at a time that the EPL has finally agreed to bung the Football League some serious cash.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And herein lies the problem with American owners...

Very much this.

It's interesting about American owners. The Glazers own NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kroenke the LA Rams and NBA Denver Nuggets, Fenway the Red Sox. The way NFL franchises work, the bottom finishing teams gets an advantage over the leading teams the following season both in terms of new player picks, and fixture schedules to level the playing field for all teams. I'm not sure if basketball and baseball work in similar ways, I was under the impression they too worked on this 'sporting' structure that doesn't allow one single team to dominate, or a selection of say top 6 teams.

Blaming American owners for taking advantage of Football's long history if hubris I think is entirely missing the point. I'm not sure how you blame them for something that has been happening since the 80s. How was such a brilliant product nearly reduced to bankruptcy by the start of the 90s? How has governance allowed a set number of teams to dominate domestically as well as in European competition? The rot has set in long in advance of American owners coming up with ideas.

These proposals highlight how short sighted football in general has been, where are the big ideas, whether the FA, UEFA, FIFA? Corruption, Greed, Self Interest - all attributes infested in football long before Americans started owning football clubs.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I would love it if this happened LOVE IT.

Bye bye to main 5 clubs the media **** over. Much hilarity for the last one of the Big 6 that didn't make the cut. So much fun that Celtic and Rangers will want to join and be shite.

Lets get the leagues back to 1,2,3 and 4 with salary caps (which may come in naturally as there wont be the mad money in the league and there wont be the mad foreign owners coming in)

Get football back stable and fun.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Fine. But it should be one thing or the other. PL or ESL if you join the european league thats it your done in England at all levels. No PL2 U'23's no youth teams etc etc.

Agree with this. Let them sod off and play in their super league but shouldn't be allowed in PL any more. **** off and leave the rest of the clubs to it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It does present the scenario that if the European League is where the money's at, Liverpool and Man Utd could field weakened teams in the EPL, and that would devalue the EPL.

That - in itself - would be ironic coming at a time that the EPL has finally agreed to bung the Football League some serious cash.

Even if the FL Cup was scrapped, I make that 80 potential games to fit in (38+34+8 FA Cup), if they have to fit in international breaks and mid-winter breaks as well, that's a very long season,

And if it's starting in 2022, there's a winter WC to take into account too. I'm not sure how they'd fit that in

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Let the self. centred canutes go, with provisos. The English club game will be better without them.

Their players cannot play for England whilst connected to them. Once you leave the EPL for the Euro gravy train, then if you ever want to come back you join League 2.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good, about time. **** off and take your entitled fans, VAR, PPV and crap blinkered ex-player pundits with you and leave the rest of us to it. Liverpool and United out, send 4 up from the championship and 2 down from the EPL and crack on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Although it's envisaged that the European league would be played in tandem with the PL, could the other 14 clubs say that if you join the European league, you can't play in the PL too? Presumably, they'd have two-thirds majority to do that but would that be ultra vires action

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Much will depend on how these various leagues are paid and packaged by TV. To be honest I wouldn’t bother watching a Euro super league but if, say, Sky packaged the Euro and PL together then it would be an expensive pain.
Why on earth top clubs keep wanting to bleed the system dry, I have no idea. Perhaps it will end up with a big implosion with people just getting fed up to the back teeth with elite football.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Although it's envisaged that the European league would be played in tandem with the PL, could the other 14 clubs say that if you join the European league, you can't play in the PL too? Presumably, they'd have two-thirds majority to do that but would that be ultra vires action
That would be turkey voting for Xmas as the big boys do generate a lot of Mullar.

It might be good for the game tho who knows. Prem more competitive. Players paid less. More passion less plastic.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
It won't be so much fun for their fans when they are not challenging at the top of the table each ( most ) year.

Fans who are entitled and used to being top dogs each year.

The future meltdown will be something to behold.

A mate of mine is a Chelsea “fan” who walks away from the TV in a huff if his team goes 2-0 down. He can’t quite contemplate not supporting a successful team.

I feel sorry for these people. They like football, but they just don’t feel part of the football family.

Good riddance to the super league I say.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
They would obviously still play in the English leagues, and would have even more massively inflated squads to cope with the rigours. Their TV income will grow exponentially from having twice at many matches as everyone else, and the media would still fawn over them. Beating them would be less fun as they'll always field a weakened squad, and the only European competition the also-rans or clubs from smaller countries can aim for, even if they win the Premier league, will be an expanded Europa league, with all the big boys permanently ensconced in a European super league with no relegation. A league that keeps expanding, into two, then three, then four parallel divisions with a playoff structure at the end, completely mirroring the American sport set up.

By that point they probably are starting to abandon the domestic league, the odd B side will get relegated but no one will care that much any more. What larks

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It's a big story and yet somehow utterly unsurprising. Football at the highest level is no longer anything to do with what the fans want, but all about money, and that's a statement rather than a criticism. For what it's worth, I imagine the majority of regular match going Liverpool or United fans would be vehemently against this move.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It says that five English clubs could join the 'superleague', commercially speaking the PL would be decimated if it lost its top clubs in one form or another. It's an uncomfortable reality that the Man Yoo's, Liverpool's and Chelsea's of this world are responsible for the bulk of the league's global interest and therefore its revenue driving capability.

Clearly, they're not going to sallow their biggest assets to simply waltz off into the sunset without a fight, but whether they're ultimately able to prevent them from doing so is another matter. It could get messy.

If this goes ahead, I can see this having grim repercussions for the English game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here