Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Live tonight @ 7pm on youtube. Pro - Europe Nick Clegg V's Anti - Brussels Nigel Farage.

Who'll win the debate?

• Clegg

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Farage

Votes: 31 70.5%

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Haven't seen/heard this, and haven't read the thread, but I have noticed that it's attracted the grand total of about 40 votes on NSC some five hours after it's started. Which just goes to prove, the EU is not a central issue in people's lives.

You're basing the voters opinions / appetite on the EU on an NSC poll ??

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Farage definitely won that. I said it on the other thread, he's a great politician even if I don't agree with what he stands for.

I would hardly call him a "great" politician, but then I doubt I wouldn't use that description for any living politician. What he does is make huge emotive statements that have a modicum of truth behind them, but doesn't back them up with any substance or debate the detail. The trouble with debates like the one last night, it was never going to change the mind of anyone from the opinion they started with. I thought it was pretty much a no-score draw, really, with Nige looking very sweaty towards the end. The jibe about "the EU with blood on their hands over Ukraine was rather uncalled for I felt.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Clegg got shown up tonight for the liar and deceiver that he is. Good stuff.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I would hardly call him a "great" politician, but then I doubt I wouldn't use that description for any living politician. What he does is make huge emotive statements that have a modicum of truth behind them, but doesn't back them up with any substance or debate the detail. The trouble with debates like the one last night, it was never going to change the mind of anyone from the opinion they started with. I thought it was pretty much a no-score draw, really, with Nige looking very sweaty towards the end. The jibe about "the EU with blood on their hands over Ukraine was rather uncalled for I felt.

Very called for and true IMO.

Very called for and true IMO.

This. The E.U has bribed favourable, rather wealthy pro E.U ukrainians to join its club of corruption. Putin has taken action in securing it's bases in Crimea amidst the growing land control of the European project. They have messed up and now expect Britain and America to make pointless threats of meaningless sanctions. On this issue, Farage is correct. The EU, if not yet, will have ukrainians blood on its grubby little hands.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
This. The E.U has bribed favourable, rather wealthy pro E.U ukrainians to join its club of corruption. Putin has taken action in securing it's bases in Crimea amidst the growing land control of the European project. They have messed up and now expect Britain and America to make pointless threats of meaningless sanctions. On this issue, Farage is correct. The EU, if not yet, will have ukrainians blood on its grubby little hands.

Agreed to an extent. The Ukrainians toppled their leader because the EU courted them. That's not to support either the previous leader nor the Russian invasion. The EU doesn't have the guts to now solve the issue. Strange, when Iraq invaded Kuwait the Western armies couldn't wait to get there - Russia invades Ukraine and we impose pointless sanctions !

D

Deleted member 22389

Agreed to an extent. The Ukrainians toppled their leader because the EU courted them. That's not to support either the previous leader nor the Russian invasion. The EU doesn't have the guts to now solve the issue. Strange, when Iraq invaded Kuwait the Western armies couldn't wait to get there - Russia invades Ukraine and we impose pointless sanctions !

What exactly are the Ukranians looking for? Is it membership of the EU? Well that's going to take a very long time if they are. I just feel they have made their situation worse not better with the help of the EU, and your right now it looks the EU doesn't know what to do next. Clegg was talking about this last week on the radio, with many people phoning up who where apposed to this whole idea, but he said it our duty as Europeans to help them out, why?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're basing the voters opinions / appetite on the EU on an NSC poll ??

Not purely, and not even primarily. If you have a look at opinion polls that ask voters to rank issues in order of priority, the issue of the EU rarely features. The NSC poll is merely confirming this, or providing further confirmation to this.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't know what you're all going on about on this page about Ukraine.
What happened in Ukraine in Jan/Feb of this year was a widespread popular revolution, deposing one of Putin's cronies. This follows on from the 'Orange' revolution of last decade alongside several other popular activities, and much longer historical relational problems between Russia and the Ukraine.
The role of the EU in all this is limited. The Ukrainians, however, might turn to the EU as they feel it's the only form of protection they can receive from Putin's encroaches. But they are far more anti-Russia, anti-Putin, or anti-Putin-cronies, than they are pro-EU. The EU haven't been sticking their oar into the Ukrainian situation precisely because they don't engage in such activity -- espionage, surveillance, nurturing contacts, etc -- unlike the US especially, but also the UK and other nation states. Of course this doesn't fit into the convenient UKip narrative that the EU is a super-state.
For Farage to try to implicate the EU with Ukraine proves just how desperate he is, and how poor his grasp of international relations are.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I don't know what you're all going on about on this page about Ukraine.
What happened in Ukraine in Jan/Feb of this year was a widespread popular revolution, deposing one of Putin's cronies. This follows on from the 'Orange' revolution of last decade alongside several other popular activities, and much longer historical relational problems between Russia and the Ukraine.
The role of the EU in all this is limited. The Ukrainians, however, might turn to the EU as they feel it's the only form of protection they can receive from Putin's encroaches. But they are far more anti-Russia, anti-Putin, or anti-Putin-cronies, than they are pro-EU. The EU haven't been sticking their oar into the Ukrainian situation precisely because they don't engage in such activity -- espionage, surveillance, nurturing contacts, etc -- unlike the US especially, but also the UK and other nation states. Of course this doesn't fit into the convenient UKip narrative that the EU is a super-state.
For Farage to try to implicate the EU with Ukraine proves just how desperate he is, and how poor his grasp of international relations are.

Actually the EU offered the Ukraine shed loads of money to sign a trade deal. So yes, the EU have been involved in the events.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the link. You are aware that the offer was made two months AFTER the uprising, which would render your argument problematic.

Fair point but according to news reports the EU made offers prior to the one I quote.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair point but according to news reports the EU made offers prior to the one I quote.

The questions, then, would be when and to who. If it was after the uprising, then it didn't affect it; if it was before, the EU don't tend to go around making offers to groups that might overthrow the extant regime, whatever Farage and those in the media that back him and his message tell you.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Allow me to rephrase myself then, I would say he is a good politician. I believe it's the same with Alex Sammond. Both of them are obviously good at what they do as they're both getting high numbers of support at moment. In my generation, there hasn't been really any great politicians minus Tony Blair. (forgetting Iraq)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here