Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Live Music 2023

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Deadletter are excellent live -saw them at the Hope last year.
I’ll have to sit down and make my wish list this weekend. Friday, though, is all about the beach as I, too, will definitely be going to see The Murder Capital.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
Years ago I drove through France on hols with only a Patsy Cline cassette which I played constantly. As a John Grant and Richard Hawley fan I’m really looking forward to this!

Attachments

• IMG_5020.png
    IMG_5020.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 51

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Looking forward to Deadletter, some others I am looking forward to seeing are The New Cut, Redolent, Coach Party, Benefits, Ethan P. Flynn, Heartworms, Personal Trainer, Humour, Fat Dog, Bluem, Traams, and Bobbi Lu.
Fat Dog seem to be the new Hype band, but I’ve got to be honest I just don’t get them, think they are just rubbish. The rest of those are all very good though.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Saw 'James' at The Dome on Tuesday. They were superb. Completely and utterly exceeded my expectations. I have tickets for Chuck Prophet and also for Patty Griffin.
Saw James 2 years ago at Oxford, warm up gig coming out of lockdown. Thought the same, better than I thought.

Seagulls & Dons

Mar 23, 2020
Fat Dog seem to be the new Hype band, but I’ve got to be honest I just don’t get them, think they are just rubbish. The rest of those are all very good though.
I have seen them a couple of times and they are pretty compelling live, not one I would listen to at home, but they seem to rotate members and I have heard that they can be a bit hit and miss.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
So who saw what yesterday at The Great Escape?

I rushed away from work and was at the beach for Coach Party at 4.30. They were fun.

Faunas then bored me, and Moreish Idols were okay, though a little unfocussed.

On to Chalk - Cucamaras were superb. So full of energy and attitude, and some great tunes. Loved them.

The Last Dinner Party were theatrical, polished...and actually very good. They seem to be enormously hyped, but I think they may be able to live up to it.

We then went to The Arch to see Cooper T. Lasted five minutes. Not for us. After that we failed to get in to The Goa Express for the second year running and instead headed towards home, stopping off to see Navy at Jubilee Square - a bit of Caribbean soul.

All about the beach tonight.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Saw:

Bricknasty
Future Utopia
Deadletter - decent.saw them on the beach. Would think their show in the Komedia was fun
Coach Party - yeah was alright
Benefits - had to be seen to be believed. Shocking, in a good way.
Girls of the Internet - packed show. Good fun
Lael Neal - highlight of the day. So, so good.
Superjazzclub - flagging by this point but a good pick me up.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great opening day enjoyed every act I saw.
C.O.F.F.I.N
Pacific Avenue
Mia Wray
Germain
Deadletter
ARXX
Rory
Cucamaras
Shelf Lives
Mae Stephens
Hannes
English Teacher

Clashes everywhere on the schedule. Tempted to see Pacific Avenue again they were flipping ace, but will probably start off my day with Rianne Downey at the Brighthelm. Was able to hop around venues yesterday, may risk that again today. Tomorrow night I'll be camped at The Hope and Ruin in the evening I think.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not at it myself this year, but if you can catch Butch Kassidy on Saturday I’d very much recommend them, have met the bassist and he’s sound and they are a decent new post punk band.

Last edited:

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Main highlights so far have been Blondshell, Gurriers, Heartworms, Fat Dog (yes, despite the hype) and Deadletter.

One day to go…

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Stone, 86TVs, Divorce, Luka State and The Murder Capital at the beach yesterday was a brilliant evening. All very good indeed.
Finished with Skinner at Latest which was also fun.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Stone, 86TVs, Divorce, Luka State and The Murder Capital at the beach yesterday was a brilliant evening. All very good indeed.
Finished with Skinner at Latest which was also fun.
A bit hit and miss yesterday for us. Thought 86TVs was boring.

Hak Baker was the highlight of the day. Seemed to actually be enjoying himself.

Today will be nice and vibey with the sun out.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A bit hit and miss yesterday for us. Thought 86TVs was boring.

Hak Baker was the highlight of the day. Seemed to actually be enjoying himself.

Today will be nice and vibey with the sun out.
Yes, my son was at Hak Baker and said that it was one of the best gigs he’s seen - and he sees a lot of gigs.

I was a big Maccabees fan, so it was just lovely to see the White brothers back on stage in 86TVs. Time will tell whether they ‘grab’ me.

Heading to town soon - no real plan today, but the sun cream is going on.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Not at it myself this year, but if you can catch Butch Kassidy on Saturday I’d very much recommend them, know the guitarist and they are a decent new post punk band.
Great recommendation - Butch Kassidy were my highlight yesterday. The drummer was insane.

Chubby and the Gang were also very good.

Overall Blondshell at the Komedia were definitely my festival highlight. You can see she is on a Phoebe Bridgers career trajectory.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I also enjoyed a bit of Butch Kassidy. though it REALLY wasn’t my pals cup of tea so we only caught 15 minutes or so. Weird day yesterday, way too many queues. Did catch Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers first up though, which was the highlight of the day. Thursday was by far the best day in terms of quality for me. More rap next year please.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Did day one of Doomsday Fest at the Green Door Store last night and three Brighton metal bands brought the house down. Halveksia with Riff charged doom, Aklash with their folk tinged Black Metal in absolutely astonishing performance and Tribe of Ghosts with their brutally dystopian blend of industrial and more modern metal. A terrific night topped off by the very niche Funeral Doom of esoteric.

Day two today headlined by the notorious Party Cannon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here