Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Linked In

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Like it or loathe it, it's where employers look for talent, I've lost 2 guys to Uber in the last few weeks based on their Linkedin profile, foolish to ignore it.

Uber the car app?

Agree, seems to be the way to get a new job these days

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is everyone always looking for another job? I'm certainly not.

Not everyone, however circumstances may dictate you have to.

I might be in that boat towards the end of next year.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not everyone, however circumstances may dictate you have to.

I might be in that boat towards the end of next year.

No, but you never know when you will be....

If you are actively looking for a job I can see linked in would be useful but I'm not and I had recruitment consultants emailing my work email address and calling me on my work mobile. Perhaps your profile should say if you are open to offers or not.

As I said I just cancelled it as I had had enough of unsolicited approaches.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you are actively looking for a job I can see linked in would be useful but I'm not and I had recruitment consultants emailing my work email address and calling me on my work mobile. Perhaps your profile should say if you are open to offers or not.

As I said I just cancelled it as I had had enough of unsolicited approaches.

Conflicting views on this......sometimes that great opportunity will come along when you're not looking. On the other hand, having the fact that you are open to opportunities doesn't look too great when your current boss sees it.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
OK, so from what I gather the best way to use it is to have a complete profile, and link to a lot of people so that I get approached by recruiters?

Fantastic business tool if used correctly.

Our company employed a new Salesman who only uses Linkedin, he has generated more business than the other 3 put together.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
its just a tool used by recruiters to bombard you with shit jobs - it makes it too easy for them, they can just search for people who have endorsed skills or search by job industry

It really isn't just that.

As for unsolicited approaches, firstly you can use your personal email address as point of contact, or you can have no email address visible. Likewise phone numbers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's very useful for freelancers. I joined about a year ago and whilst I do not pro-actively use it I have made a few useful contacts. Yes you do get a number of un solicited messages and standard emails but equally a few recruitment types have actually taken their time to write me a personal email and explain a particular job they are recruiting for. If you want it to work well for you, you can ,make it work well. The thing to remember, is that you are always in charge; you only need to act on, and react to, what interests you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is everyone always looking for another job? I'm certainly not.

I'm a freelancer so I need to keep an eye on things and it is useful for this.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
You don't need to link to a lot of people to get approached - they use keywords in your profile to match what they are looking for

I'm self employed and I get about 75% of new business through LinkedIn. I've been on it for years and have spent a lot of time working up my profile so that its not just a copy of my CV online but, like with a lot of things, you get out what you put in.

I've found the best way to use it is to think about the kind of people you want to start talking with. Then think about the words and phrases they might use to search for someone like you and write the profile around that, highlighting the kind of work you do with examples. Having good search keywords and phrases on LInkedIn also spreads out to Google as we'll so you'll rank a lot higher on there as we'll.

I work mostly on websites and apps so you may find its more skewed towards people who work in technology but its definitely worth sticking with even if you do spend a lot of your time batting away recruiters.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Its like all social media tools (i hate that term) it provides a function - references, new job, checking up who might interview you, etc but unfortunately humans are involved and therefore a large proportion of bellends post rubbish. If you can filter out the bullshit then it can be useful, much like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
its a great tool for being a stalker. Example. Spoke to a women on the phone from a supplier, sounded very sexy. Searched her names and company, found her in 30 seconds, looked at picture and never searched again.

phone voices can be so misleading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here