Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Limit on Upgrades per Season

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Just a question, but if you have a junior ST is it possible for an adult just to walk through using it? Does anyone check the status of the ticket / card etc etc (And NO I am not wanting to defraud the club out of any money!!! just curious!!)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Just a question, but if you have a junior ST is it possible for an adult just to walk through using it? Does anyone check the status of the ticket / card etc etc (And NO I am not wanting to defraud the club out of any money!!! just curious!!)

Stewards are checking all the time. Tickets show a different colour on the back of the turnstile when reading the bar code .

If the steward doesn't see the colour then you may get away with it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't see the problem, as the club is getting the extra revenue each time the ticket is upgraded. They're not out of pocket.

Really think the club have dropped a howler with this policy.

Not only are season ticket holders committing for that extra seat at the start of the season, we are paying extra to upgrade. But this upgrade is us recruiting new fans for the club.

I actually suggested the other day (on the how to fill the Amex thread) that a good policy would be to allow kids tickets to be used by an adult for evening games. Thus, filling otherwise empty, paid for seats, increasing match day revenue and hopefully introducing another lifelong fan to the Albion.

This policy is he complete opposite. I can't see how it benefits anyone. Club or fans.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stewards are checking all the time. Tickets show a different colour on the back of the turnstile when reading the bar code .

If the steward doesn't see the colour then you may get away with it.

They make a slightly different noise as well.

I'm assuming six is what they think the max number of home night league games are so this is there to stop people buying a child ticket and upgrading it every game (which may be cheaper or just a PITA for the admin team). I upgrade my son's for midweek and it works out really well. I don't want him getting back at 11 at night on a school night and I have a mate who can't make Saturdays but can make night games. It's been very useful for us for two seasons now and also means I can have a bit of a beer up at those games instead of having to limit consumption in order to be a responsible parent. I had no idea there was a limit and this has NEVER been communicated by the club.

If the person designing the ticketing software had an ounce of decent design they'd have made the 6 limit a configurable parameter so that it could be increased if there were suddenly a lot of postponements or TV games or decreased if people were taking the mick, just by changing a field in a control panel. However, having used our ticketing software I strongly suspect it has been hard coded at 6 by a bloke in India fresh out of school and not tested.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also though, if you know you're not taking your kid, couldn't the adult just buy a ticket somewhere else in that stand and then sit in the kid's seat so you're together? There have been singles available at every game even though we've been top all season. It's not for the club to subsidise people.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Really think the club have dropped a howler with this policy.

Not only are season ticket holders committing for that extra seat at the start of the season, we are paying extra to upgrade. But this upgrade is us recruiting new fans for the club.

I actually suggested the other day (on the how to fill the Amex thread) that a good policy would be to allow kids tickets to be used by an adult for evening games. Thus, filling otherwise empty, paid for seats, increasing match day revenue and hopefully introducing another lifelong fan to the Albion.

This policy is he complete opposite. I can't see how it benefits anyone. Club or fans.

A policy that is in fact used and advertised by our friends at the other end of the M23

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
That's a stupid rule at present given the fact the ground isn't coming close to reaching capacity, however if we ever reach the promised land I could understand the clubs stance- season tickets would sell out and people who couldn't make it to every game could potentially buy a child's ST then upgrade it when they can make it to games- reserved seat and reduced overall cost.

That's a stupid rule at present given the fact the ground isn't coming close to reaching capacity, however if we ever reach the promised land I could understand the clubs stance- season tickets would sell out and people who couldn't make it to every game could potentially buy a child's ST then upgrade it when they can make it to games- reserved seat and reduced overall cost.

It does not really wash in the premier league either. In the event of a sell out the unused ticket could be snapped up by someone else on the sure to be reintroduced ticket exchange.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I suppose it would be possible to have a season ticket for whatever the lowest priced group is, so you minimised your losses on games that you could not attend.
That is both devious and brilliant :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also though, if you know you're not taking your kid, couldn't the adult just buy a ticket somewhere else in that stand and then sit in the kid's seat so you're together? There have been singles available at every game even though we've been top all season. It's not for the club to subsidise people.

They could, yes, but it would cost a lot more. The upgrade is priced at the difference between the prorated original price of the ticket and the prorated price of the ticket requested.

So, I think it generally costs about £15 to upgrade my WSU ticket from U-18 to adult. The adult ticket, if bought as a one-off match day ticket, would cost more than twice as much.

Curiously, the old ticketing system (which also permitted the card to be upgraded, and not to require a paper reprint) priced the upgrade as the difference between the prorated price of the ticket and the match day price of the seat for that match. Upgrades cost a lot more then. You wonder if this rule would have been introduced, as it seems to have been, if the new ticketing system allowed upgrades to be priced in this way too.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
Sorry to say but not happy about this one. I have 3 ST, 1 adult 2 kids and I often upgrade 1 or both to adults if I'm taking the missus or a couple of mates. I don't see the problem in paying for a child's ST and upgrading to adult when needed. Otherwise I would be paying the price of 3 adult ST permanently and obviously would be paying for adult seat when I take the kids. I was even considering buying another child's ST....surely that is better for the club. If there are admin costs, the just add it to the upgrade cost.

If the club can find some way of doing this on line it would be so much easier.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I get the club would rather have an adult ST than a child because the ticket costs considerably more.

Given the evidence on this thread (and my own daughter's ticket, who doesn't live with me so can't get to every game, is upgraded from time to time) - I reckon there is a pretty high volume of kids' tickets which are upgraded on a game by game basis, some quite frequently it seems. As others have said, if you have hit the 6 game limit at the beginning of November, it does suggest it should be an adult ticket not a child ticket that you have.

The slightly disappointing attendances, given our performances and league position, could have the club studying how often this is happening. If a large number of people are getting in for c£15 per match instead of £30+ then the club are sure to want to try and address that. The question is whether those same people would pay the full match day price. Many won't.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Today's game is the 8th home game of the season. Anyone who has already reached this limit of 6, well they're not using the upgrade option for the odd evening game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here