Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Likely to be another year before (normal) football returns...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Y'know, I'd be kinda interested in seeing how a game of football would play out if the government said 'ok, people can return to school and work, but must continue to maintain 2m distance from each other until further notice'. Imagine a game of football where you're not allowing within two metres of another player.

I suppose rules would have to be introduced to stop whoever gets kick off just running straight for goal forcing everyone else to get out of their way.

Yeah, I've been wondering about this, as I organise a walking football group for the 55+ age-group. I'm forever trying to slow them down, to avoid collisions / challenges, and for their own safety I repeatedly tell them "find space and pass to the feet of someone in space". We play a 3-touch game, so they have to pass it rather than dribble. Would be interesting to see if "soccer-distancing" could work.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The end game is now being discussed over here apparently. An MP was saying last week the thinking is once infection rates, and the associated contact tracing, are within a manageable and a stable rate then restrictions will start to lift. That’s the theory anyway. When this will happen is wide open for debate but when infection rates start a downward trend we might know some more.

I think you’ll see teams in Germany playing games well before a year, even possibly with full crowds.

My money is on next season starting on time

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
My money is on next season starting on time

Yes, if the PL finally give up on playing the rest of this season’s games. Twonks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There will be Premier League football played in May 2020.

Fancy a bet on that?
Not a prayer. I am surprised that any event, attended by thousands, in close proximity to each other, is even being rescheduled for this year ( French Open, Masters etc ) The next football season will not start on time and its debatable whether its viable at all. There is unlikely to be any cricket season, no late summer pop festivals, no horse racing....very little of anything, in fact.
We have all got to be patient. Saving lives is paramount and by whatever means. There is only two ways out of this. Treatment and vaccine. Until a vaccine is readily available and administered, then normality as we know it, cannot resume.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Fancy a bet on that?
Not a prayer. I am surprised that any event, attended by thousands, in close proximity to each other, is even being rescheduled for this year ( French Open, Masters etc ) The next football season will not start on time and its debatable whether its viable at all. There is unlikely to be any cricket season, no late summer pop festivals, no horse racing....very little of anything, in fact.
We have all got to be patient. Saving lives is paramount and by whatever means. There is only two ways out of this. Treatment and vaccine. Until a vaccine is readily available and administered, then normality as we know it, cannot resume.

This - it echoes what Bill Gates said recently and he is a person I do listen to on this issue. Your average politician is frightened to say this.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Do you honestly think that we could go 18 months without the virus already passing through so much of the population that it would be pointless?

Viruses mutate, in a years time those already immune will probably be able to be infected again.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
They seemed determined to finish this season by all the comments I've read, so why not just remove next season entirely and finish this one anytime over the next year or so when it is safe to do so? Even if it did restart later in the year I can see a lot of people not wanting to rush back into the middle of huge crowds for some time yet however much we all miss the footy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They seemed determined to finish this season by all the comments I've read, so why not just remove next season entirely and finish this one anytime over the next year or so when it is safe to do so? Even if it did restart later in the year I can see a lot of people not wanting to rush back into the middle of huge crowds for some time yet however much we all miss the footy.

I guess the immediate question to ask is will there be many clubs left further down the leagues if next season was knocked on the head

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think this has been addressed before, but removing next season just results in a year of no TV income, but with wage bills still arriving every month.

Most professional football clubs would go bust.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
This is in the Daily Mail, just seen it pop up on my Apple News. The amount of disinformation and scaremongering that paper puts out is immoral. To be honest all the media outlets are getting as bad as each other at the moment, publishing breaking news from ‘experts’ only for it to be contradicted the next day by another ‘expert’! Why they cannot report on fact rather than opinion I do not know.

Because their "opinion" - ill founded though it normally is - sells newspapers.
Who here, when looking at a newspaper app on their phone, has not seen a sensationalist headline and clicked on it only to find rubbish ? For example one I saw back in the winter emblazoned across it's front that we were going to get two feet of snow. When you actually looked at the article it mentioned that the north of Scotland may get some snow that would add up to a complete covering of two feet over the mountains. Sensationalism sells.In this crisis nobody knows if and when football will return - I've seen dates from May to September, speculation about the formats that the revised matches will take and it's all conjecture.

SeagullSarge

Jul 8, 2012
Because their "opinion" - ill founded though it normally is - sells newspapers.
Who here, when looking at a newspaper app on their phone, has not seen a sensationalist headline and clicked on it only to find rubbish ? For example one I saw back in the winter emblazoned across it's front that we were going to get two feet of snow. When you actually looked at the article it mentioned that the north of Scotland may get some snow that would add up to a complete covering of two feet over the mountains. Sensationalism sells.In this crisis nobody knows if and when football will return - I've seen dates from May to September, speculation about the formats that the revised matches will take and it's all conjecture.

Very true, least we forget the whole Brexit saga which kept them all fulled with headlines for many years!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Hidden in an article about the Scottish football vote in the excellent Athletic:

It is possible that UEFA could still take the decision out of the hands of member associations. Indeed, it appears that window may be closing further after UEFA hired virologist and epidemiologist Marc Van Ranst, who has already said that “playing football in the next few months is not an option at all” and hinted at cancelling all leagues in Europe soon.

Added to this was this morning's news that the TV broadcasters and the Premier League have been having productive talks regarding a compromise on monies owed, it's beginning to look that realism is beginning to settle into the industry's mindset.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm starting to think I would reluctantly take behind-closed-doors football to finish this season.

As much as I think the fans and crowds are everything, if the alternative is a very different (or even non-existent) football to return to, this could be a necessary evil to keep things ticking over. Obviously, aside from a last-day escape from relegation, as Brighton fans we wouldn't be in line to miss out seeing a real "I was there" moment in the flesh.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This is in the Daily Mail, just seen it pop up on my Apple News. The amount of disinformation and scaremongering that paper puts out is immoral. To be honest all the media outlets are getting as bad as each other at the moment, publishing breaking news from ‘experts’ only for it to be contradicted the next day by another ‘expert’! Why they cannot report on fact rather than opinion I do not know.

If we keep reading it, they'll keep posting it

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I am with you on this, most will survive many will die but this virus is not going away until it’s infected everybody

Sorry it is likely that it doesn't work like this. Are you immune from the Common Cold? The Flu? The chances are that without a regular seasonal vaccine or an effective treatment this is going to keep hitting us and hitting us. From what I have read herd immunity may not be possible, some of the immunologists are suggesting we may never get a vaccine, we dont have one for the cold. What some have been saying is like the cold, we may get it then have a few months worth of resistance to help prevent getting it a second time. I was listening to one researcher whose lab had been working on a universal flu vaccine and they have now turned to Covid-19 research not to find a vaccine but looking for a treatment. The trouble is while it seems like this has been going on for ever we are only at the very start of understanding this bloody thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here