Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Light relief - website apologises for Benjamin slur

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Got a rare smile earlier on today.

Yesterday morning (when life seemed much simpler), I read the following on the generally superb unofficial Newcastle United website, www.nufc.com, in their preview of the forthcoming Leicester match:

"The rotten Trevor Benjamin remains cast out, on loan at Brighton after spells at Gillingham and Rushden already this season."

I didn't think much of that, so I sent the following email to the author (Biffa), not really expecting a response:

"The rotten Trevor Benjamin? You mustn't have seen us turn Plymouth over on Saturday in front of the Sky cameras. The man's a legend, albeit a slightly immobile one. I take it he's had the odd dodgy game against the Toon in the past, but fortunately Mark McGhee mustn't have seen them."

With all that was going on today, I forgot all about it, but got the following back from Biffa this afternoon:

"Tom, what a fool I was to doubt the wisdom of the grinning jock McGhee - I must confess to have been under the influence of a foxes malcontent when I wrote that Trevor wasn't clever.

Cheers for the email - appreciate the comments and look forward to coming to your new ground - it has to be better than the day I came to Withdean and I realised my visit coincided with the Sussex by the sea monsoon season."

Happens to the best of us...anyway, the irony of the last paragraph wasn't lost on me, and I've since sent them a lengthy email to give them the full background to the Falmer situation, and ask if they can put something on the site in support. I don't know if they'll be able to, but they're clearly proper football fans and not the Premiership-centric, "I'm all right Jack" eejits that some of us have encountered today while trying to spread the word.

Hopefully something will come of it. In any case, the site's always worth a read. I'll let you know if they put anything up about Falmer.

www.nufc.com

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here