Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lifeguards/helicopters by Palace Pier

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I read the stories on the BBC/Argus websites and saw the helicopters and lifeboat myself while walking near the seafront, but does anyone know anything more about that story?

The beeb and Argus don't have too many details but being as this is NSC, I'm sure someone on here may have more information..

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
From SUPERNEWS

**Helicopter and Lifeboat spotted around Brighton Pier**

A coastguard helicopter and lifeboat were spotted earlier today off Brighton seafront close to the city's famous pier. It is thought the helicopter was to be seen in the air whilst the lifeboat remained in the sea. One onlooker claimed "there was definitely a lifeboat and a helcopter around earlier" and subsequent reports confirm this to be true.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Search for swimmer's body continues

7:52pm Tuesday 19th August 2008

By Simon Barrett »

Coastguard crews are still searching for the body of a swimmer believed to have drowned off Brighton beach.

Hundreds of onlookers watched as a huge rescue operation was launched after the man reportedly got into difficulties near the Palace Pier at about 3pm.

Police and coastguard helicopters hovered overhead while RNLI lifeboat and coastguard teams searched the water after several sightings of a person struggling in the heavy swell.

Mystery surrounds the circumstances but a pile of clothes were found on the beach, while some onlookers said the victim had possibly jumped from the pier.

At one stage police said the body washed up onto the beach before being taken away again in the strong currents.

Strong winds and powerful waves hindered the operation and the coastguard helicopter even had leave the search to refuel.

After three hours the air and sea rescuers were stood down, at about 6pm.

Coastguard units stayed on the beach waiting for low water later in the evening.

Colin Griffiths, from Solent Coastguard, said: “We've had every indication that there is a body in the water.

“There is a pile of clothes unaccounted for on the beach and reports of a body tumbling in the surf.

“One of the lifeguards saw it and was quite shocked, so we have positive sightings.”

Mr Griffiths said if the body was not recovered tonight a first light search could be launched this morning.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
In some reports I read, it seems to sound a little like suicide.

The BBC claimed the man walked into the sea..

In rough conditions such as this, and being early so unlikely to be drink related, it could well be that..

I just wonder who the poor sod is.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In some reports I read, it seems to sound a little like suicide.

The BBC claimed the man walked into the sea..

In rough conditions such as this, and being early so unlikely to be drink related, it could well be that..

I just wonder who the poor sod is.

Tho why would you leave your clothes on the beach you were gonig to commit suicide? Sounds like a bit of a looney to me. Not exactly swimming weather today.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Tho why would you leave your clothes on the beach you were gonig to commit suicide? Sounds like a bit of a looney to me. Not exactly swimming weather today.

No it was rough as hell. I was at my friend's flat by the seafront and we could see the helicopter RIGHT near his window and saw the boat rushing back and forward.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Shot this from my flat earlier

Attachments

• _MG_6241x.jpg
    _MG_6241x.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 134

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wasn't that how Sylvia Plath died?

Not according to wikipedia

'Plath took her own life on the morning of February 11, 1963. Leaving out bread and milk, she completely sealed the rooms between herself and her sleeping children with "wet towels and cloths."[9] Plath then placed her head in the oven while the gas was turned on.'

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Not according to wikipedia

'Plath took her own life on the morning of February 11, 1963. Leaving out bread and milk, she completely sealed the rooms between herself and her sleeping children with "wet towels and cloths."[9] Plath then placed her head in the oven while the gas was turned on.'

Oops, who was it then - it was someone that Carol Ann Duffy wrote a poem about.

Hope the guy is found by the way!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay. I'm gonna show how f***ing well read I am but I think you mean Virginia Woolf, Laura. She drowned herself in a lake. Her home (in Sussex) was the first bought by the National Trust, I believe.

And talking about lady poets, very pertinent to this thread is the wonderful "Not waving but drowning" by Stevie Smith. (yes, Stevie was her name).

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Okay. I'm gonna show how f***ing well read I am but I think you mean Virginia Woolf, Laura. She drowned herself in a lake. Her home (in Sussex) was the first bought by the National Trust, I believe.

And talking about lady poets, very pertinent to this thread is the wonderful "Not waving but drowning" by Stevie Smith. (yes, Stevie was her name).

I thought she drowned in the River Ouse Buzzer, but yes, when BAG mentioned that story I did think of Woolf..

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Thanks!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bit insensitive but that ecellent pic reminded me of the good old 'Spot the ball' competitions that the Argus ran. In this case you would put a x where you think the body is.

OK, maybe that didn't go down well.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here