Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Lib Dems Win North Shropshire By-Election

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brought the govt down did it not? I live in the town and they still talk about it.

No I don't think it did. The next GE wasn't until two years later (1964) and the Tories still had a large majority (circa 90) going into it.

But yeah, my F-i-L still lives in Orpington (near the station and the Maxwell) and yes, they do still talk about it!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
To be honest, I see this government being removed due to corruption, scandal and law breaking.

Which is why they want to interfere with the running of the judiciary.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which is why they want to interfere with the running of the judiciary.

It’s already been stated but it was because Johnson thought he could get rid of the head of the Standards Committee, this by-election actually came about. He was trying to avoid being held to account himself.
This result is a disaster for him in many ways.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think that the letters would already be heading into the chair of the 1922 Committee chairman if, in addition to the almighty kicking last night, Starmer hadn't whipped Labour MPs into propping up the government in the votes earlier this week.

Starmer claimed to be acting "in the national interest". No. The "national interest" is to bring down this corrupt, lying cheating PM before he has the opportunity to do any more damage to our country. Then the new PM could bring the covid measures back to parliament. A golden opportunity missed.

As a die-hard, lifelong Labour voter, I am appalled that the leader of my party has helped to keep Johnson in number 10 for any longer than is necessary.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Do you think it’s over in the USA?

I can see Trump running and winning next time out due to Biden/Harris.

I bet he wouldn't claim that there was widespread election fraud or that dead people had voted if THAT happened :lolol:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
and France. the exact mechanics differ, its still get a majority of votes, not PR. why couldnt Johnson be PM under an alternative? under a party list system he gets a seat, can be voted leader by the party. if they win the election or dominant party (voting behaviours would change so cant rule that out), he becomes PM. under a directly elected PM, he'd have beaten Corbyn and others confortably. probably shouldnt look to change the political system on the basis of the current incumbant, better arguments to make. he'll be gone within a year, as the party turn on him.

France is not the same. Their system is AV where if no candidate gets more than 50% of the vote the two candidates with most votes go into a second vote usually a fortnight later.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think that the letters would already be heading into the chair of the 1922 Committee chairman if, in addition to the almighty kicking last night, Starmer hadn't whipped Labour MPs into propping up the government in the votes earlier this week.

Starmer claimed to be acting "in the national interest". No. The "national interest" is to bring down this corrupt, lying cheating PM before he has the opportunity to do any more damage to our country. Then the new PM could bring the covid measures back to parliament. A golden opportunity missed.

As a die-hard, lifelong Labour voter, I am appalled that the leader of my party has helped to keep Johnson in number 10 for any longer than is necessary.

Yes but we are in a pandemic, we already have 150k+ dead, many of which were avoidable.

Anything in the interest of public health should be backed, it also shows up the right wing loons for what they are.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Starmer WAS acting in the national interests of the country, he probably would have gone further with sensible restrictions but it's not in his gift to be able to do that.

The moron Tories that voted against the commonsense rules are either complete idiots or scoring a protest vote.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Truss has been a cabinet member in the last three governements though, I'm not sure she can argue for a clean slate. Not to mention the fact she performed a huge U-turn on Brexit, which is a problem for a lot of Tories.

Liz 'Cheesy' Truss :ffsparr:

Screenshot 2021-12-17 100817.png

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

I hate the current government as much as anyone, but avoiding tens of thousands of deaths and the collapse of the NHS trumps any party-political stuff as far as national interest is concerned for now. This pragmatism increases my respect for Starmer and all the Labour MPs that followed party lines.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

While I see where you're coming from, Labour did the right thing - some things are more important to vote the right way than making a political point, and this was one of them. I'd have been disgusted if Starmer had done so quite frankly.

We need more of this sort of thing, not less. I'm fed up of Tories/Labour automatically taking the opposite stance from the other on any issue, and always using the other to make some sort of nitpicking point.

I'd much rather they gave credit to each other where it was due (and worked together on resolving issues), so the issues they had differences on actually led to proper debate

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

But the vote to which you refer should not, and could not, have ever been about politics. I am pleased that Starmer did the right thing on this occasion - despite me having complete despair at Johnson and his cronies.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well replacing the PM is a serious job and we'll need someone who has a good track record with proven experience.

Gove is the most experienced
And then there's Liz Truss, she is the second most experienced minister in the Cabinet.
Sunak has only been an MP for 6 years, office junior to CEO in 6 years will be some achievement

and then there's ................. oh

Where have all the Conservatives with Ministerial experience gone :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

So you'd rather Starmer had allowed Johnson and a supine press looking for a way out to have the perfect opportunity to blame the upcoming wave of infections (and possibly, but hopefully not, hospitalisations and deaths) on him and Labour? And for what, to maybe weaken him a little bit?

Jan 30, 2008
Well that was a kick up the arse for Boris Lib dems FFS ! a bit like a winter storm it will all be over in a few days

Regards
DF

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

"bringing down the PM" so to undermined what leadership there is while they set about a new internal election, sounds like party politics. the rebels would more than likely have backed the PM in any vote of confidence anyway. Starmer did the right thing, probably what he'd be doing if he were in office.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
maybe. falling from second to third one wonders if Labour should give up on range of seats, as utterly unwinnable for them.

"bringing down the PM" so to undermined what leadership there is while they set about a new internal election, sounds like party politics. the rebels would more than likely have backed the PM in any vote of confidence anyway.

I'm sure there's a silver lining in there somewhere if you look hard enough :thumbsup:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm hoping this will increase factions in the Tory Party and lead to a more centrist leadership.

It was far right tools like Rees-Mogg and Leadsom who drove the lobbying scandal and tried to change the rules. Johnson just went along with his leaver mates because they got him elected in the first place.

Red Wall MPs have no such loyalty. Younger, more dynamic MPs representing less economically well off parts of the UK will hopefully unite to help get rid of him.

Also think Tuesday press conference (which didn't say anything we didn't already know) was a shameless attempt to deflect attention.

In some ways, its heartening. Labour seem to be getting their act together with a new wave of dynamic, more moderate politicians and it would be good to see an election fight between two less radical parties. Labour got rid of Corbyn thankfully, now the Tories need to do the same with Johnson.

This is the key in the red wall constituencies that voted blue. In my area, if Labour put up our ex MP Laura Pidcock to run again, they will lose.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I see one candidate, independent Yolande Kenwood, managed 3 votes. Assuming she voted for herself that is some going!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here