Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Rosenior

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Left Derby after 12 games in charge with a better win percentage and points per game than any manager they've had in pretty much their whole existence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Derby_County_F.C._managers

After only two months working with a brand new squad he had Derby second on Xg and fourth on Xga: https://footystats.org/england/efl-league-one/xg

He was only appointed as interrim and you do have to wonder what kind of record he would have had to have to be offered the job. I get the impression that he's been chucked because of the old trope that 'You can't play possession football in League One'. Well Gus Poyet did and we won the League, playing some of the best football the division has seen. However, after 9 league games in charge, Poyet had lost 5 and had accumulated 4 less points than Rosenior has. When a club with more patience and long term strategic thinking gives him the chance he deserves, Derby fans may be looking back and wondering what might have been.

I've gone on the record to say that I was a supporter of Liam and would have liked to see him given more time - A great guy and I hope he will be a big success. All that said, I think you're being a bit selective with your stats (I'm not a fan of stats in football, at all for what it's worth), 0 goals and 0 points away from home so far. There have plenty of murmurings od disatisfaction and it just wasn't clear how this was going to change. The biggest thing for me is that Derby are some way off when it comes to being hardworking/fit, that's something that we're going to need in League 1, it's clear that other teams work harder than we do and, as I'm sure you'd agree, that's the minimum that fans will expect.

Finally, this isn't Mel Morris' Derby, Clowes is certainly more down to earth and will be patient.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Liam is on Talksport now. Says he now see's himself as a number 1. Definitely wont be joining our coaching set up then. Interested to see where he ends up.

Heard the interview - said it before but he speaks incredibly well. Mature, rationale and insightful. Going to be a top manager one day.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think you're being a bit selective with your stats (I'm not a fan of stats in football, at all for what it's worth), 0 goals and 0 points away from home so far.

Its a bit rich saying that I'm being selective and then picking just the away games, especially if you then go on to get the stats wrong. You played 5 away games under Rosenior: 4 in the league, one in the EFL Cup. Its only correct to say that you scored 0 goals if you don't include the cup win. Its not at all correct to say that he got 0 points as you had two 0-0 draws from the 4 league games. So his away record is P5, W1, L2 D2. GF 2, GA 4, GD -2. Not great, but also not disastrous for a new squad, especially if coupled with a home record of 6 wins and 1 loss from 7 games. I'd also mention that, from Rotherham's 5 away games this season, Warne's record looks almost identical and that his win percentage in getting them promoted from L1 last season was 58.69% compared to LR's 58.33%

Obviously you'd know best as you watch them and I don't, but the move to replace him at this stage looks either like unrealistic expectations, or something that the new owner had always planned to do in order to make the club his own. I think that Rosenior won't take that long to become the manager that Clowes predicts he will be.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Its a bit rich saying that I'm being selective and then picking just the away games, especially if you then go on to get the stats wrong. You played 5 away games under Rosenior: 4 in the league, one in the EFL Cup. Its only correct to say that you scored 0 goals if you don't include the cup win. Its not at all correct to say that he got 0 points as you had two 0-0 draws from the 4 league games. So his away record is P5, W1, L2 D2. GF 2, GA 4, GD -2. Not great, but also not disastrous for a new squad, especially if coupled with a home record of 6 wins and 1 loss from 7 games. I'd also mention that, from Rotherham's 5 away games this season, Warne's record looks almost identical and that his win percentage in getting them promoted from L1 last season was 58.69% compared to LR's 58.33%

Obviously you'd know best as you watch them and I don't, but the move to replace him at this stage looks either like unrealistic expectations, or something that the new owner had always planned to do in order to make the club his own. I think that Rosenior won't take that long to become the manager that Clowes predicts he will be.

I did tell you I don't like stats! I really don't think they tell you a great deal in football, I'd far rather go by what I see - I wouldn't want to put you through watching our games thus far but if you did, it would enlighten you as the frustration of a lot of fans - It's fair to say the our place in the table is a rather generous reflection on our overall performances.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Looking like a strong candidate for the Hull job.

I know Mike personally and can vouch that he will have direct access to Hulls board.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here