Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Bridcutt podcast - "I didn't want to leave"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The report was that he got a hernia injury and had to have an op, which kept him out for a couple of months. He was back from injury and playing from late November onwards, and I think his last game for us was when we beat Blackpool on 29th December, so this was most likely truthful and accurate, but everyone just jumped to conclusions at the time.

When the assistant manager Nathan Jones, reports to Oscar Garcia, that Bridcutt's head wasn't in the right place, it's quite easy to jump to that conclusion.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
53238A3C-318E-4654-AA31-DE9AD6968C7F.jpeg

Says it all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This revelation is a bit of a disappointment really.

He is being very disingenuous. Yes, I'm sure he would have been happy to stay at the Albion if no offers had been made, but once Sunderland made their offer he decided he wanted to play for them, ergo that's deciding he doesn't want to play for the Albion.

What we has to appreciate is the significance of the timing of his move, and the manager making that offer. It came mid-season and from Poyet (at least Buckley had the good grace to see the season out with us before he moved to Sunderland in the summer of 2014).

Time heals, and I bear Bridcutt no malice, but don't try and mug off the Albion fans now because that transfer was significant, it hurt and we remember what happened.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Nahh

I just think he is one of these (like big Shane Duffy) who was brilliant for us, but for whatever reason didn't settle at other clubs.

And Liam was brilliant for us. Two absolutely deserved player of the seasons. Spotted danger terrifically and always got us moving with progressive passes.

This. Still remains one of my favourite players for the club (while he was here). Its a shame it soured and that Gus, IMO, ruined his career with promises of greatness that never came good.

But, as others have said, it was a time when the club were conscious of costs and wage demands plus a good resale value meant it was better for us that he left rather than stayed. That too is a shame, but to be expected and part and parcel of football.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
This. Still remains one of my favourite players for the club (while he was here). Its a shame it soured and that Gus, IMO, ruined his career with promises of greatness that never came good.

But, as others have said, it was a time when the club were conscious of costs and wage demands plus a good resale value meant it was better for us that he left rather than stayed. That too is a shame, but to be expected and part and parcel of football.

I always think, view ex players or managers like to do ex girlfriends, be it Bridcutt, Poyet, Ryan

Don't focus on how it ended, the endings are rarely pain free. One side usually feels spurned and it's not a process that brings out the best in people. Focus on the time you were together :)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Nahh

I just think he is one of these (like big Shane Duffy) who was brilliant for us, but for whatever reason didn't settle at other clubs.

And Liam was brilliant for us. Two absolutely deserved player of the seasons. Spotted danger terrifically and always got us moving with progressive passes.

He was indeed great in that role under Gus but for me less so under Garcia, perhaps that was more the loss of Gus or his motivation was gone.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting.

My memory is that he downed tools under Garcia, but perhaps it is playing tricks on me.

Yes, I thought that as well, I do seem to remember that I went off him a bit because of the way he made it obvious he wanted to leave.

Oh well, 'recollections may differ' as they say.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
I always think, view ex players or managers like to do ex girlfriends, be it Bridcutt, Poyet, Ryan

Don't focus on how it ended, the endings are rarely pain free. One side usually feels spurned and it's not a process that brings out the best in people. Focus on the time you were together :)

Wise words.

Thinking of current players as current girlfriends/boyfriends might be a good tactic for some of those who seem to express the strength of their fandom/love by publicly slating them...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Excellent player for us. Deserved his big move, but proved conclusively he was a master in League One, and had no business in the PL.

Always hated this attitude of mocking players who move on. Seems a bit school playground; "we're not friends anymore".

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Excellent player for us. Deserved his big move, but proved conclusively he was a master in League One, and had no business in the PL.

Always hated this attitude of mocking players who move on. Seems a bit school playground; "we're not friends anymore".

Some players get mocked and some don't. It depends how and why they leave. If they show the club a lack of respect they don't deserve any in return.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Except this is not about Albion fans mocking or trashing a (fine) former player.

It's an former Albion player trying to convince us that he didn't want to leave, after realising he never had it so good - and never will.

He's trying to rewrite history, not us.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Let's face it, we all have differing opinions. He scored a very good, very significant goal against a glorified park side at Withdean, and was quite good at passing the ball backwards and sideways. Sometimes to an Albion player. He had limited ability and is now playing at a level that suits his talents, or lack of them. At no stage in his career was he as good as he thought he was.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Let's face it, we all have differing opinions. He scored a very good, very significant goal against a glorified park side at Withdean, and was quite good at passing the ball backwards and sideways. Sometimes to an Albion player. He had limited ability and is now playing at a level that suits his talents, or lack of them. At no stage in his career was he as good as he thought he was.

The consecutive player of the season awards? Did he not deserve those?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Gus, in hyperbole mode, said he was good enough to play for Real Madrid. From my viewpoint he was an awesome player for us. We were so good to watch in his time here and he was one of our best players. Sad for everyone that it ended like it did

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Except this is not about Albion fans mocking or trashing a (fine) former player.

It's an former Albion player trying to convince us that he didn't want to leave, after realising he never had it so good - and never will.

He's trying to rewrite history, not us.

Indeed. Most of us realise the players aren't fans and we have no problem with them leaving to better themselves or play for bigger clubs. Usually they go with our blessing and often we eagerly follow their careers. (Zamora is a good example who was always 'Our Bobby'). No doubt some of our current squad will go the same way.

Bridcutt was a class player for us (as was Jeff Minton before him) and we all knew he'd probably leave us for someone bigger eventually. Ok ultimately it didn't work out, and like Jeff Minton he discovered the grass wasn't necessarily greener elsewhere. And, again like Jeff Minton, it turned out that actually his time at the Albion was the peak of his career. I think he realises that and that's why history is being re-written a tad.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Indeed. Most of us realise the players aren't fans and we have no problem with them leaving to better themselves or play for bigger clubs. Usually they go with our blessing and often we eagerly follow their careers. (Zamora is a good example who was always 'Our Bobby'). No doubt some of our current squad will go the same way.

Bridcutt was a class player for us (as was Jeff Minton before him) and we all knew he'd probably leave us for someone bigger eventually. Ok ultimately it didn't work out, and like Jeff Minton he discovered the grass wasn't necessarily greener elsewhere. And, again like Jeff Minton, it turned out that actually his time at the Albion was the peak of his career. I think he realises that and that's why history is being re-written a tad.

Have to LOL at comparing Bridcutt to Minton! Was a fan of both but both very different players (apart from stature) playing alongside a very different quality of teammate. Thanks for the laugh.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

So getting players names on your shirt is a bit like having your latest girls man tattooed on your arm! :):love:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Have to LOL at comparing Bridcutt to Minton! Was a fan of both but both very different players (apart from stature) playing alongside a very different quality of teammate. Thanks for the laugh.

Brovian says Bridcutt and Minton were both "class players" (in their eras) who peaked at the Albion and "discovered the grass wasn't necessarily greener elsewhere".

What's wrong with that?

Neither were Rodney Thomas, let's face it....

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here