Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liam Bridcutt & Mustapha Carayol.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just something l picked up from my skysports app today . . .

Both of the above former Albion players were picked up as free agents in the last week or so, Liam Bridcutt signing forms for Blackpool, and Mustapha Carayol joining another Albion, Burton.

In the case of Liam, how the once mighty have fallen.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Both of the above former Albion players were picked up as free agents in the last week or so, Liam Bridcutt signing forms for Blackpool, and Mustapha Carayol joining another Albion, Burton.

Blackpool are in the Championship, that’s not too bad.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Bridcutt is now 33 and has had a decent career in the championship, with a brief stint in the premiership. Clearly he was never going to cut it as a prem midfielder but I don't think its fair to say he's underachieved in his career. Obviously NSC still bitter about it.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not sure how mighty he really was but he’s had a pretty good career as a pro. He was outstanding for us at that level but was never really a top top player, despite a couple of caps. I think we were all miffed when Gus pinched him because we had high hopes for him but he never really shone after he left. Interesting that he opted not to renew his contract with Lincoln where he appears to have had a settled few years after a bit of a nomadic existence.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not sure how mighty he really was but he’s had a pretty good career as a pro. He was outstanding for us at that level but was never really a top top player, despite a couple of caps. I think we were all miffed when Gus pinched him because we had high hopes for him but he never really shone after he left. Interesting that he opted not to renew his contract with Lincoln where he appears to have had a settled few years after a bit of a nomadic existence.

Indeed, I'm probably thinking back to his days with us under Gus. at the end of the Witdean era and our first season at the Amex, when he was in his prime, probably like most of us with blue and white tinted spectacles.

To many on NSC at the time, he was just about the best defensive midfielder we had ever had . . . other than Adam Mohamed El-Abd of course. :rolleyes:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't think he was ever up to Real's standards, despite Gus's huff-puff.
No where near. Very good footballer in a limited role. Never got close to his levels at Brighton under Poyet

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bridcutt was class for us. I hope he finds a club for next season.
He was the most important player under Poyet. Since then has done nothing. Overall it makes you wonder but we absolutely couldn’t have played Poyetball without him

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Another to add to the “thought the grass was greener and ended up realising it’s not” club

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Never rated Bridcutt. Don't think I ever saw him make a forward penetrating pass. Saw him make a goal once, but that was when he lost possession to Mark Noble of West Ham, and we lost the match.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Never rated Bridcutt. Don't think I ever saw him make a forward penetrating pass. Saw him make a goal once, but that was when he lost possession to Mark Noble of West Ham, and we lost the match.

He was amazing for us, breaking things up and providing the base for us to attack from. Without him offering defensive cover, we couldn't have enjoyed the fullbacks rampaging forward.

And here he is making a "forward penetrating pass" as well as scoring the winner with a wonder strike:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here