Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk in Midfield????

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
There is always a lot of talk about someone to play in Midfield with Bridders, i see Lewis Dunk as a viable option to step in as he would add a bit of strength and aerial ability and is also very comfortable on the ball. Now with El Abd back, with Greer partnering in defence would hopefully provide some more protection.

With this added stability we can afford to play 2 out and out wingers in Nooney and Lua Lua, with either one of 3 in Vicente, Buckley or Hoskins, whichever is fit at the time to play slightly behind CMS to provide the support and service he needs leaving CMS less work to do shutting everbody and their cat down and concentrate on being in the box where he belongs.

If my memory serves me right, i am pretty sure Dunky used to play in Midfield..... I feel we need a bit more balance in the formation.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Sorry, but No No No!

Why take him out of position? We have a good few midfielders in the development squad who could fit in there if given the chance, I'd much rather have keep dunk as center back and givesomeone like Kasmin ago.

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Sure there was interview with Hinshelwood saying that Dunk used to play in midfield and he seemed to think he was equally comfortable there. Could be worth a try, but as has been said, would be surprised if he's still here come the end of January.

Dec 29, 2011
Dunky used to play CDM for DS and YS and also at school IIRC. Grant (Hall) can play CDM too and is about 6"2. If he develops well this season it might be worth a try next season as he's a lot more pacey than Dunk (let's be honest, who isn't ;) )

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Sorry, but No No No!

Why take him out of position? We have a good few midfielders in the development squad who could fit in there if given the chance, I'd much rather have keep dunk as center back and givesomeone like Kasmin ago.

As confirmed by rjbseagull we do believe Dunky used to play in Midfield so maybe playing at centre back is out of position for him, he is a quality centre back but may be even better in midfield. Hopefully we will keep hold of him, he is a local lad and still young so would hopefully stick with the Albion with the aspiration of bigger days at the Amex.

Totally agree that Yaser Kasim is a quality player but plays the exact same role for the development squad as Bridcutt plays so not sure if they would work together being so alike. He is also quite a small lad so won't add the height in Midfield i feel we could benefit from and that extra bit of protection to be defence.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Sure there was interview with Hinshelwood saying that Dunk used to play in midfield and he seemed to think he was equally comfortable there. Could be worth a try, but as has been said, would be surprised if he's still here come the end of January.

Or was it Stuart Pearce before the Under 21's game at Colchester?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Please no. He's class (but still learning and being looked after by GG) at the back and I'm a huge fan but during our recent dodgy spell his distribution under pressure has sometimes been awful. Maybe one day but for now I'd rather let him develop where he is :albion2:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Gets to the situation with to many players out of postion though doesnt it.

1 or 2 can get away with

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I would of thought if we were looking to utilise one of our defenders as a holding midfielder the strongest candidate would be El-Abd?

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Why or why is there always a call to play players out of position. Horses for courses, if we need a midfielder player a midfielder in midfield.

If he was originally a Midfielder who has moved to centre back for the senior team does that now make his position centre back or is he out of position at centre back as he was originally a midfielder???

Now thats a conundrum to think over :mad:

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Lewis Dunk as a CDM or CM is a yellow card fest waiting to happen.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If he was originally a Midfielder who has moved to centre back for the senior team does that now make his position centre back or is he out of position at centre back as he was originally a midfielder???

Now thats a conundrum to think over :mad:
Dunk is clearly a centre half, he may have played midfield as a junior but is a centre half in the First Team and has formed a superb partnership with Greer, why break that up.
Recently there was a call to play El Abd in midfield, he is a defender, remember when El Abd played midfield previously and he was poor, when he plays defence he is Player of the Year, bit of a no brainer really.
Hopefully that has resolved your conundrum.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Recently there was a call to play El Abd in midfield, he is a defender, remember when El Abd played midfield previously and he was poor, when he plays defence he is Player of the Year, bit of a no brainer really.
Hopefully that has resolved your conundrum.

Ah come off it, it's not that simple. El-Abd was shite in every position he played under each manager. It was only when Gus :bowdown: got his hands on him that he improved, dramatically!

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
I'm by no means saying Dunky is the answer but reckon he could do a great job, would be great to get an experienced Midfielder (possibly from the premiership) in to compliment Bridders and provide a bit of quality in the final third, would certainly help CMS out. Still hoping Vicente will be the man for that job, lets hope hey...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here