Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Nimbies now out to get Glyndebourne

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is all very well preserving the downs in aspic, but if we are not here to see it's beauty...

I am in full support of this. Glyndebourne are attempting to set a trend that is a huge step forward for our climate.

:clap: :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll support it

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
To be honest I don't know what Norman Baker's position on this is. However, he was a constant proponent of alternative energy when he was the front bench environment spokesman, so it would be rather hypocritical for him to support this development on an AONB, and also rather hypocritical for him not to support it! Hahahahah!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's a funny one isn't it. The bint on the radio from South Downs Trust or whatever needs to look at the big picture. I actually think Wind Turbine are quite attractive where she thinks it'll spoil the landscape from 100 of square miles around. Hmmmm.

Get it done!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's a funny one isn't it. The bint on the radio from South Downs Trust or whatever needs to look at the big picture. I actually think Wind Turbine are quite attractive where she thinks it'll spoil the landscape from 100 of square miles around. Hmmmm.

Get it done!

Yeah, once travelled trough an area of California where the rolling hills were covered in wind turbines - and it looked wonderful. Their time has come!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can't we have a huge one at Falmer? It will look just like the Ma Jetski then. :lolol:

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
To be honest I don't know what Norman Baker's position on this is. However, he was a constant proponent of alternative energy when he was the front bench environment spokesman, so it would be rather hypocritical for him to support this development on an AONB, and also rather hypocritical for him not to support it! Hahahahah!

He was always keen to be photographed cycling around Westminster, promoting environmental transport policies.

Strangely, he has never mentioned transport when discussing Falmer.

:angry:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Where they are actually proposing to sight it is actually where a windmill used to stand (hence the name - Mill Plain), although not in living memory.

Which I think brings a nice touch of symmetry to the whole thing.

I wonder if the villagers in Ringmer objected to the original windmill when it was first constructed??

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A quote was found...from the Director of the Society, no less.

“This turbine will be generating most power in the winter, when the winds are strong, and not in the summer when visitors flock to the opera”.

Has this daft woman not thought that any electricity generated will be fed straight into the Grid and then the Opera House can use!? Jeepers, some people are :censored: stupid.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Looking at the bigger picture, I am all in favour of a f***-off great big wind farm (maybe 250-300 turbines) about two-three miles off the Sussex coast. Far enough out not to affect the sailing and boat-cruising people, and close enough inshore not to affect shipping routes. Surely a winner?

Think of the juice it can provide.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Large One said:
Looking at the bigger picture, I am all in favour of a f***-off great big wind farm (maybe 250-300 turbines) about two-three miles off the Sussex coast. Far enough out not to affect the sailing and boat-cruising people, and close enough inshore not to affect shipping routes. Surely a winner?

Think of the juice it can provide.

Cracking idea. But, surely to be met with objections - dangers of fish/turbine collision etc. I think Windfarms can be extremely elegant and we should embrace the idea.

Ps Is your shop open today? I have a relative dropping in to buy the Scotland Shirt.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Barrel of Fun said:
Cracking idea. But, surely to be met with objections - dangers of fish/turbine collision etc. I think Windfarms can be extremely elegant and we should embrace the idea.

Ps Is your shop open today? I have a relative dropping in to buy the Scotland Shirt.
I was open until 11.30pm* waiting for you to come by yesterday. And you didn't.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

* Well, closer to 6.10pm.

Barrel of Fun said:
A quote was found...from the Director of the Society, no less.

“This turbine will be generating most power in the winter, when the winds are strong, and not in the summer when visitors flock to the opera”.

Has this daft woman not thought that any electricity generated will be fed straight into the Grid and then the Opera House can use!? Jeepers, some people are :censored: stupid.
I'm not entirely sure that the turbine is primarily intended to supply the grid. It's being promoted by Gus Christie, who is the owner of Glyndebourne, with a view to supplying the Opera House.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
I'm not entirely sure that the turbine is primarily intended to supply the grid. It's being promoted by Gus Christie, who is the owner of Glyndebourne, with a view to supplying the Opera House.

This is correct. It is to 'offset their carbon footprint'*.

LOVE that saying.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Screaming J said:
Where they are actually proposing to sight it is actually where a windmill used to stand (hence the name - Mill Plain), although not in living memory.

Which I think brings a nice touch of symmetry to the whole thing.

I wonder if the villagers in Ringmer objected to the original windmill when it was first constructed??

My great grandad used to run that windmill as a tenant of the Glyndebourne Estate for many years and my grandad worked there too. The only reason they stopped was because - er - it blew down.

The mill was part of village life and the rural economy. It would be great to see a 21st century turbine near to where the original 17th century post mill stood. As long as they don't move the mill post that is all that remains of MY windmill.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Lord Bracknell said:

It's almost certain that it'll be attached to the grid. The electric companies will probably pay for any spare energy above and beyond Glyndebourne's needs the generator would create.

If it isn't to supply the grid, they'll need some MASSIVE batteries to store all that energy which won't be anywhere near as efficient and would be more harmful for the environment - can't see that getting past planning...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
LE2 said:
Yeah, once travelled trough an area of California where the rolling hills were covered in wind turbines - and it looked wonderful. Their time has come!

Saw a load of them on a hill in Fuerteventura last week. They do look pretty good, has to be said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here