Lewes FC next Saturday rather than Crawley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I’m not suggesting that you pass up the opportunity to watch the Albion but if you don’t follow them away and if like me you just like to watch a game of football, rather than get dragged off shopping, you could do worse than wander along to the Dripping Pan.

I went a few times last season and to the home game against Thurrock this season. It’s only a tenner to get in and U16s are free. The atmosphere is really good and you can have couple of pints of Harveys. The standard of football is not bad and there are several players with an Albion connection such as Chris Breach, Sonny Cobbs and Lewis Ide. The two goals against Thurrock were as good as you would see anywhere.

The club is now community owned, the manager works for nothing and the team is a mixture of experience and lots of youngsters, many of whom have come through the Lewes youth team. They are at home against Hampton & Richmond on September 4th when the Albion don’t have a game.

You also don't need to go anywhere near Crawley.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Albion aren't playing, so Lewes is better than Crawley

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
They're not shit. They are a team that are now doing the best they can within their limited resources. It's a good afternoon out for a tenner, go along and try it and you don't get wet if it rains.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
opening round of the fa vase - there will be PLENTY of county league clubs taking on interesting opposition

or, of course, you could thank james kirtley for his efforts in his final game

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
They're not shit. They are a team that are now doing the best they can within their limited resources. It's a good afternoon out for a tenner, go along and try it and you don't get wet if it rains.

I'd rather pay a fiver n watch crawley.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They're not shit. They are a team that are now doing the best they can within their limited resources.

This is a wonderful sentence, you speak like a true supporter.

PS I am being 100% sincere.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Albion aren't playing, so Lewes is better than Crawley

Depends on what.

I'm going to Crawley as i live 5 mins from the BS.They also have a better team and get higher atttendances.
Crawley gets the nod over Boro and Lewes for me.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
I think this love Lewes screw other Sussex non league clubs from some people has gone on for a little bit too long now. :D

Yes its a nice little ground, friendly atmosphere have hosted REMF but so has Southwick!

But surely Crawley and Eastbourne Borough (The Sports doing really well within their means) being a division above are more attractive, or even pop along to Whitehawk to greet Brightons no 2 side in the Ryman South! Or you could pop along to the Fa Vase matches around Sussex very exciting prospect as McCarthy says. Why does it have to be about just Lewes? The choice is yours as I say! I think I will be sampling the FA Vase somewhere!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The best bit about the Dripping Pan is that you can drink alcohol, including Lewes dishwater (as Harveys Best is known to people with tastebuds), on the terraces (and in the stands) during the game, which quite a few other non league grounds won't let you.

I'm pretty sure that you can't at Crawley and Eastbourne, since I think it's a Blue Square Premier ground rule (Lewes had to ban drinking in view of the game for their ill-fated season in said division). Seemingly Worthing don't let you either, maybe that's a local council rule, so hurrah for Lewes FC and their stadium full of booze.

In summary, the Dripping Pan is the best (currently open) football ground in Sussex, and anyone who says otherwise is a poohead.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports