Lewes Bonfire Night

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Just wondered if anyone has any quick info on this year's do? I've had trouble finding stuff on the internet.

- is it on the 5th itself?

- i've heard that non-Lewes residents are advised to go to their own displays?! True?

just wondering, loike

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It is on the 5th as always, over hyped, anti religious, biggoted bollocks, with pretty explosions in the sky, whilst you stand ear to ear with some drunk underaged chav, whilst Mrs Smythe in her wellies frowns upon the sight of REAL pound coins, and FIVERS

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
It is on the 5th as always, over hyped, anti religious, biggoted bollocks, with pretty explosions in the sky, whilst you stand ear to ear with some drunk underaged chav, whilst Mrs Smythe in her wellies frowns upon the sight of REAL pound coins, and FIVERS

heheh, fair enough. I'd heard some similar comments before and expected a couple of responses like this.

Any other thoughts people?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's out grown Lewes but I'd hardly call it bollocks ! Can't stand the journey into Lewes myself but the parade and the displays are worth going for. Don't expect to get a pint though.

I'm not sure how remembering martyrs can be called biggoted - yes it pokes fun at the Catholic church for its actions in the past but its done in good humour AND the Catholic church can hardly be held up as a shining beacon of christianity. Anyone who is offended is either some religious nutter or lacks a sense of fun !!!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Seriously it is probably worth going if you never have before, but its worth getting there early to get a spot on the street.

Probably worth taking your own bevvies as you wont get served quickly anywhere.

I dont advise paying to get into a society bonfire after the procession, its just not worth it. A lot of hassle to stand in a muddy field and watch what you could by staying where you were in the first place for free.

Getting the train back to Brighton is a mare and fully expect to wait in queue for over an hour at the station

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Get there by 5pm, park somewhere in the Malling Estate, once processions go to their firesite (9-30 to 10 ish) walk to Malling Community Centre and watch (free) Waterloo fireworks in a crowd free zone which is then a short walk back to the car and then head though Ringer/Glynde to get back to the A27.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Cheers lads, this is all great :thumbsup:

Basically, the Wife wants to go to it and i'm not so keen... At least we know alot more about it now. Ta

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
My friends have suggested Lewes this year. How the hell can I persuade them that trekking there, cramming in with half of Sussex, not being able to get into a pub, paying to get in and queuing to get a train home isn't better than strolling down the road to Lindfield to watch free fireworks and have a relaxing post-display pint in The Stand-Up? I know the fireworks are probably better in Lewes, but at 19 I feel like I've seen enough firework displays to not be so geeky about how good the fireworks are. I don't mind watching a few fireworks once a year, but it would have to be something truely spectacular for me to be really excited about it, and for me it's much more about the general experience than just how many big Catherine Wheels there are.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Blow up dolls are cheaper more fun and you dont have to stand at a safe distance in case of explosion:thumbsup:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I would hereby like to invite all non-Lewesians to Lewes on the 5th. Bring your cars and everything else and really piss the bonfire members off !!!

My garden backs onto commercial sqauare bonfire site so i'll be joining a few mates in the garden, barking up the barbeque, cracking open a few beers and enjoying the superb displays from the comfort of my own home.

Lewes, East Sussex, Bonfire, News, Forum, Events, Pound, Castle Harveys will also answer any of your questions

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's out grown Lewes but I'd hardly call it bollocks ! Can't stand the journey into Lewes myself but the parade and the displays are worth going for. Don't expect to get a pint though.

I'm not sure how remembering martyrs can be called biggoted - yes it pokes fun at the Catholic church for its actions in the past but its done in good humour AND the Catholic church can hardly be held up as a shining beacon of christianity. Anyone who is offended is either some religious nutter or lacks a sense of fun !!!

What's all this don't expect a pint mallarcy? I've been every year and there's no problem getting served, with loads of extra outside bars etc. Last year I went to the Snowdrop, the Dorset, The John Harvey Tavern (excellent Hog Roast), The Royal Oak, The Lansdown, The Elephant and Castle and the Green Man, didn't have any problem getting served at any of them and had a cracking night. I recommend Commercial Square's display, it's a little hidden away. Make full use of alleyways!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What's all this don't expect a pint mallarcy? I've been every year and there's no problem getting served, with loads of extra outside bars etc. Last year I went to the Snowdrop, the Dorset, The John Harvey Tavern (excellent Hog Roast), The Royal Oak, The Lansdown, The Elephant and Castle and the Green Man, didn't have any problem getting served at any of them and had a cracking night. I recommend Commercial Square's display, it's a little hidden away. Make full use of alleyways!

Really ? I haven't been for about four years but always struggled to get into a pub - may it's my youthful good looks that make me look underage :D

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

"Pokes fun"? Is that a joke?

Burning effigies of the pope (and one year Lewes' own Catholic priest), anti-Catholic chanting and prayers, burning crosses KKK-style, and some societies (admittedly the minority) having strong tie-ins to the Free Presbyterians and Orange Order.

Right you are, bundle of laughs!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The South-East's very own "feel the Wicker Man atmosphere"

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
If you don't want to brave Lewes, you could always try East Hoathly the following Saturday to catch a slightly smaller but better version of Lewes' Bonfire Night festivities.

Always held the Saturday after Nov 5th - you'll find all the same bonfire societies you see in Lewes, pubs you can 'usually' get served in in good time and a firework display that is the equal of anything you see in Lewes, except without the flaming Popes.

I'm biased because it's my fathers home village and have been going since I was knee high ..... will be there again this year, no doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports