Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Levi Stubbs

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Boredom is my middle name today, so I'm just lazing around today, and I thought I'd put on some Four Tops sounds on my iTunes. Even though I am a massive fan, I haven't played much Four Tops for a bit because some of their hits (Reach Out I'll Be There, Same Old Song, I Can't Help Myself etc) you hear ad nauseum on Radio Nice&Safe FM.

This is just to say that, in my not-so-humble opinion, Levi Stubbs has by far and away the finest voice in all of soul music. He can cover just about any emotion in one song, from making your day with unbridled hapiness to alternatively singing you the Shipping Forecast and make you drop to your knees and weep, and covering just about every emotion in between.

Levi Stubbs. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That is all.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You know I was thinking about this the other day when you were posting your Ipod stuff and I could have sworn you were a massive Four Tops fan but could see little mention of it...everything is now right with the world.

Standing in the shadows of love.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Are you saying that Levi Stubbs PISSES on...Marvin Gaye? Sam Cooke? Stevie Wonder? The Temptations? The Isley Brothers? Or the immortal, underrated genius of Donny Hathaway?

Incidentally, Bernadette and Reach Out I'll Be There feature two of my absolute musical hero's finest basslines EVER - Mr James Jamerson. They're only outdone by the Finest Bassline Ever Recorded - Stevie Wonder's I Was Made To Love Her. FACTOID.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I must take issue with you there birthday boy.

the finest soul voice must be Nat King Cole, closely followed by Ella Fitzgerald and Aretha Franklin

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dave the Gaffer said:
the finest soul voice must be Nat King Cole...Ella Fitzgerald
Those are JAZZ singers Dave! As in "JAZZ mags".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Man of Harveys said:
Are you saying that Levi Stubbs PISSES on...Marvin Gaye? Sam Cooke? Stevie Wonder? The Temptations? The Isley Brothers? Or the immortal, underrated genius of Donny Hathaway?
Not PISSES on. But he does win.

They all fanstastic in their own way, but (possibly Marvin Gaye aside) none have the range of so many emotions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Man of Harveys said:
Those are JAZZ singers Dave! As in "JAZZ mags".

It depends on what you call jazz.

NKK sang some very good soul stuff in later life. Ella Fitzgerald I will give you that although i suppose technically she was like Sinatra a big band singer/crooner. Aretha was the dogs dangly bits

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Large One said:
Not PISSES on. But he does win.

They all fanstastic in their own way, but (possibly Marvin Gaye aside) none have the range of so many emotions.

This, incidentally, is in very humble opinion, the greatest thing ever to be found on YouTube, full stop. I've probably watched it 20-30 times. As well as a fantastic rendition of the song, it's only some very rare footage of James Jamerson actually playing - consider it a wee birthday present. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s

dcseagull

Dec 8, 2005
Washington DC
Levi Stubb's tears roll down his face...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dave the Gaffer said:
It depends on what you call jazz.

NKK sang some very good soul stuff in later life. Ella Fitzgerald I will give you that although i suppose technically she was like Sinatra a big band singer/crooner. Aretha was the dogs dangly bits
Fair enough about Aretha but... oooh, I'm struggling here... I'll get back to you on this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Man of Harveys said:
This, incidentally, is in very humble opinion, the greatest thing ever to be found on YouTube, full stop. I've probably watched it 20-30 times. As well as a fantastic rendition of the song, it's only some very rare footage of James Jamerson actually playing - consider it a wee birthday present. :wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s
FANTASTIC!

Joining the dots, 'What's Going On' was written by Ronaldo Benson of the Four Tops.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As the comments below that clip rightly point out, that man played bass on more hit records than than the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and Elvis combined.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Feed Me Seymour

Feed Me all night looooooooooooooooong!

I need LURVE

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Mmmmm very difficult.

Al Green?

Otis Redding?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I met Levi Stubbs in a Wimpy Bar in Croydon in 1970.(The Four Tops were performing at the Fairfield Halls later that day ).He was very approachable and signed autographs for all of us.
For my money Sam Cooke had the greatest voice ,but Levi Stubbs is in the top five.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here