Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This saga smacks of Ben white and Leeds

About time we stopped this nonsense
Nowhere near that for me. Totally different and we’ve acted with decency.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Nowhere near that for me. Totally different and we’ve acted with decency.
Agreed, nothing I’ve read has shown the sort of sense of entitlement that Leeds fans seemed to have with White.

Most people have been sensible in saying that they’d like him to sign for us, but realistic in that it’s fairly unlikely and will only happen if Chelsea are willing to sell.

The only comparison I can see is that we’ve tried to sign a loan player permanently, happens all the time.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
In that we haven’t got a hope in hell of signing Colwill?

Boehly/Winstanley are now switched on, no way are they selling theirs/England’s CB of the next 12 years.
The hope for me was down to their pressure to meet FFP, not because they don’t rate him as a player

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he won’t sign a new contract surely that’ll force a sale wether they want that or not
In fairness he’d have to be desperate to come to us to do that. What are the chances he’ll turn down a substantial pay rise and assurances of a decent run in the side from a manager with a good record of playing youngsters? Pretty slim imo

On the other hand he takes the risk of being part of a dysfunctional squad where they won’t think twice about replacing him if he doesn’t hit the ground running and fans that may be quick to get on his back when he makes mistakes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Imagine if he did SING but turned out to be SHITEHOUSE!

What a binfest THAT would be :lolol:

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
In fairness he’d have to be desperate to come to us to do that. What are the chances he’ll turn down a substantial pay rise and assurances of a decent run in the side from a manager with a good record of playing youngsters? Pretty slim imo

On the other hand he takes the risk of being part of a dysfunctional squad where they won’t think twice about replacing him if he doesn’t hit the ground running and fans that may be quick to get on his back when he makes mistakes.
Agree with this. He's acquired an almost mystical status with the Chelsea fans. It's as if a footballing god will descend among them with a benevolent smile and play the greatest stuff ever. A few mistakes and they'll all be wailing for more shiny new signings.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This saga smacks of Ben white and Leeds

About time we stopped this nonsense
I haven’t seen any sense of entitlement from Brighton fans. I haven’t seen any bragging of how we made him what he is, and before he came to Brighton, he was nothing.

Yes, we’d like to buy him, but we’re not saying he will only be a star with us. I think you’ve forgotten how deluded the Leeds fans were.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I haven’t seen any sense of entitlement from Brighton fans. I haven’t seen any bragging of how we made him what he is, and before he came to Brighton, he was nothing.

Yes, we’d like to buy him, but we’re not saying he will only be a star with us. I think you’ve forgotten how deluded the Leeds fans were.
any of that I've seen has just been from 2 or 3 on twitter trying to wind up very easily triggered Chelsea fans

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine if he did SING but turned out to be SHITEHOUSE!

What a binfest THAT would be :lolol:
Which is why I want the other lad from Brazil (?)
At least we already know he's shitehouse...

...I've started getting some practice booooos in, just in case.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

There has been a new contract on offer from Chelsea for a while now from what I understand. Levi has been reluctant to sign it because he has concerns over game time (very similar reasons Tariq Lamptey turned down Chelsea’s contract and made it clear he was going to leave at the end of the deal he had with them).

I’d imagine with Chelsea’s current refusal to sell and the new manager Levi will wait things out and see how they are in January.

Chelsea could always improve that contract offer but if he’s not getting significant game time I can see him making it clear he won’t sign the new deal and that could force Chelsea’s hand in selling in January or next summer when he’s got 12-18 months left on his current deal (the one year option is apparently dependent on him making a certain number of appearances so it won’t be automatic like ours often are) so they can still get a decent return on him.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
the difference with the White situation is that we have Caceido as a bartering tool. I think the biggest issue will be wages - I’d imaging he would now break our salary structure.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
If Colwill doesn’t sign the contract on offer at Chelsea he won’t be short of offers. There will be richer clubs than us on his case that’s for sure. The fact that we want to sign him tells other clubs all they need to know. This is over and we need to move on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The hope for me was down to their pressure to meet FFP, not because they don’t rate him as a player

I thought they’d deal with that by ditching older players either nearing the end or flops. They’re cracking on with that.

It’s a no-brainer to keep a PL/England CB for the next dozen seasons. Even Boehly’s not that stupid and he now has money grabber Winstanley in his ear noting that Bloom’s keenness indicates keep the player.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
I thought they’d deal with that by ditching older players either nearing the end or flops. They’re cracking on with that.

It’s a no-brainer to keep a PL/England CB for the next dozen seasons. Even Boehly’s not that stupid and he now has money grabber Winstanley in his ear noting that Bloom’s keenness indicates keep the player.
I was hoping that they’d struggle to offload dead weight on inflated wages or get decent fees given their known desperation to offload.

But Saudi clubs have come to their rescue a bit and Man U, Arsenal and Man City have sniffed an opportunity to get good players that wouldn’t have otherwise been available

I agree that they would be stupid to sell him as he’s a massive asset

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I was hoping that they’d struggle to offload dead weight on inflated wages or get decent fees given their known desperation to offload.

But Chelsea's second club have come to their rescue a bit and Man U, Arsenal and Man City have sniffed an opportunity to get good players that wouldn’t have otherwise been available

I agree that they would be stupid to sell him as he’s a massive asset
EFA.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think the Colwill situation sums up why so many of us get sick of people like Romano with his speculative 'journalism'. The attempt to sign Colwill, like most of our transfer dealings, seems to follow the traditional path. Obviously, we'll know he's open to a move - otherwise what's the point? But the only news coming out is of firm offers as we deal club to club with the situation. Compare that to the Caicedo story currently where - apparently - the deal is "95% done". That's 95% with the player... not us.. so it's meaningless. A constant barrage of unsettling information that can only be emanating from the buyers' side or the player's own representatives, clearly intended to paint Albion into a corner when the one negotiation that really matters takes place: an actual bid.

Surely the initial contact with the player should only be a basic enquiry to gauge their interest. If the player has more than a year to run on their contract, detailed negotiations without a deal between the clubs in place ought to be banned - difficult to prevent but, if nothing else, it would establish the principle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here