Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It’s the perfect job for him, no code of conduct, no verification needed. Just a fella with some connections and a twitter account.
And just 15.8m followers.

Correction: 15.9m.

Last edited:

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
He only played 17 times for us, a mixed bag of performances and now he’s the next John Terry..weird.
Please can you name me another teenage defender let alone Centre Back playing regular premier league football? Now take into account he’s a left footed CB and he’s English, playing for England U21’s and training with the senior squad.

He’s also already played a full season of championship football and was ranked #23 in the golden boy list.
So yeah, he’s quite good.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Would we be ecstatic if Colwill was to become our record signing? I’d rather it was a flair midfielder tbh.
What I don't know is how the £40m investment in Colwill compares, value-for-money-wise, to £25m for Beraldo at Sao Paolo, or £30m for Medina at Lens, or £25-30m for Matviyenko at Shakhtar.

I'd love to sign Colwill because he has a very high ceiling, but I'd be very surprised if he's our first and only option.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
What I don't know is how the £40m investment in Colwill compares, value-for-money-wise, to £25m for Beraldo at Sao Paolo, or £30m for Medina at Lens, or £25-30m for Matviyenko at Shakhtar.

I'd love to sign Colwill because he has a very high ceiling, but I'd be very surprised if he's our first and only option.
I’d argue even 50m for Colwill is a safer investment than 25m for the others mentioned.
Barring a serious injury I think he plays for England for the next 10-12 years. Being left footed will give so much balance to that England team as opposed to Maguire constantly cutting back onto his right foot.

Another good season and he makes the Euro 2024 squad at the very least; and more than likely starts.

I just don’t see how we’d ever lose money at even 50m

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given how the Saudis are bailing Chelsea out I’d suggest our chances of getting Colwill are now no better than about 1%

Chelsea will not sell him to us or anybody, full stop

Chelsea looking like they might fail FFP was our only chance, thanks to their shadowy Saudi investment that is not going to happen now, in fact they are ramping up purchases again. We will be moving on imo

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Given how the Saudis are bailing Chelsea out I’d suggest our chances of getting Colwill are now no better than about 1%

Chelsea will not sell him to us or anybody, full stop
I agree to be honest. I think our best hope is he stays at Chelsea but doesn’t sign an extension, is a bit part player until January and requests a move then

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Indeed. Who is going to watch it ? Domestic football is all that actually matters and that includes the Albion’s Europa League sideshow. Personally I am more proud of our highest league finish than the EL. At the top level it is clear that a group of the super rich are looking to acquire the game but does it actually matter ? All they will have is an unwatched Saudi league and a handful of players and maybe even clubs from from each European country. That doesn’t impact at all on the match day football experience of the overwhelming majority of football fans. If players want to go then fine. If clubs want to go also fine.
Frankly, that’s just bollocks. COVID showed that top level pro football without plentiful and passionate fans is nowhere near the ‘product’ required to sell its for €billions. How many teams are in the Saudi league? 8? 10? No history, no fans, nothing to try to qualify for, no one gives a shit. No chance it overtakes the EPL or any other major European league, IMO ever. Unless they’re going to fly in 100k fans each weekend? (I’m available for £50k a match BTW…..)

This is just more sportswashing/money laundering/FFP dodging corruption.
I'm not so sure.

Who's going to watch it?

You know how we now have Japanese NSC members? And jokes are made about how many Japanese are turning up at Albion games? You know how many tourists are at Premier league games? How there are hundreds of Koreans at Spurs games?

Those people. Or people like them. A large chunk of the world's population don't follow teams, they follow players. And when I say a large chunk I mean hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people. They're the ones who will fly into Saudi Arabia to watch Ronaldo, Benzema and every other big name player that moves to the league.

And isn't that exactly what the Saudi's want? Isn't that essentially what sports washing is? Making Saudi Arabia a global tourist destination, a centre of culture and known throughout the world for this rather than it's morally dubious, repressive regime?

I think there's a fair chance that if they throw enough money at it the players will come and if they come soon enough the 'fans' will come.

I agree with you Nev that it won't impact a lot of match going fans from estblished football leagues/countries. I'm quite happy for a super league/saudi league to take all the best players just so long as I can still watch the Albion. I imagine a lot of people will feel similarly about their respective teams. It doesn't mean however that the Saudi super league won't sell out stadiums and dominate the global footballing picture.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I'm not so sure.

Who's going to watch it?

You know how we now have Japanese NSC members? And jokes are made about how many Japanese are turning up at Albion games? You know how many tourists are at Premier league games? How there are hundreds of Koreans at Spurs games?

Those people. Or people like them. A large chunk of the world's population don't follow teams, they follow players. And when I say a large chunk I mean hundreds of millions, if not billions, of people. They're the ones who will fly into Saudi Arabia to watch Ronaldo, Benzema and every other big name player that moves to the league.

And isn't that exactly what the Saudi's want? Isn't that essentially what sports washing is? Making Saudi Arabia a global tourist destination, a centre of culture and known throughout the world for this rather than it's morally dubious, repressive regime?

I think there's a fair chance that if they throw enough money at it the players will come and if they come soon enough the 'fans' will come.

I agree with you Nev that it won't impact a lot of match going fans from estblished football leagues/countries. I'm quite happy for a super league/saudi league to take all the best players just so long as I can still watch the Albion. I imagine a lot of people will feel similarly about their respective teams. It doesn't mean however that the Saudi super league won't sell out stadiums and dominate the global footballing picture.
I like this point. Even as an Albion fan through and through when I’ve been on city breaks to Barcelona or Madrid I’ve always made sure I got to a game to (at the time) see Messi or Ronaldo live.
I didn’t care much for the result or the rest of the team, I just wanted to be able to say I’d seen 2 of the greats play live.
If more and more of the worlds best go to these teams I think it will attract a lot of global interest from fans outside of Europe especially.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I agree to be honest. I think our best hope is he stays at Chelsea but doesn’t sign an extension, is a bit part player until January and requests a move then

Doesn’t his Chelsea contract run until June 2024, and the club have an option to extend that for a further year?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I think Beraldo is only £15m so possibly more value there.

Colwill def has high ceiling and could be worth far more in the future but I’m not sure we will actually be offering £40m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here