[Albion] Levi Colwill

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The problem with letting them get on with it is that they appear to have an endless supply of money that is impacting on transfer fees and wages worldwid. They seem to have started the long haul in getting their league filled with top quality players to compete with, and then overtake, the EPL. I have no idea how they are going to stop it as they already have FIFA in their pockets.
What can you do though? No rules are being broken and it’s no different to the US in the 70s/80s when Pele, Peter Beardsley etc were bought in on big money to get their leagues going, what China tried to do in recent years etc.

I’d be happy to let the greedy players who lack ambition all go out there and see what they think and if it’s what they really want.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
We should be insisting on it. If we don't sign him before 30th June then I'm pretty sure we won't be this summer.

Obviously we hope Colwill is pushing for this and I think a few weeks ago when he was caught up with the emotion of European qualification, then I'm sure he really wanted to come to us. I do wonder if maybe a few weeks away from that, confirmation of the appointment of Poch and the platitudes he's been receiving from Chelsea plus training with England and other 'big 6' players may have softened his desire to come here?
On the flip side, he’s been able to get those plaudits by playing week in week for Brighton, not bench warming for Chelsea

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
My hope on this one is fading as I hoped Chelsea would struggle to offload some of their high wage players, leaving them in a position where they may have to sell Colwill to balance the books.

However, it appears the Saudi clubs have come to their rescue offering silly money for players like koulibaly, lukaku, and ziyech
The Saudi clubs, who are funded by the Saudi heads of state, who have billions of pounds worth of assets managed by Clearlake Capital, Clearlake Capital who purchased 60% of Chelsea.

🤬

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
The problem with letting them get on with it is that they appear to have an endless supply of money that is impacting on transfer fees and wages worldwid. They seem to have started the long haul in getting their league filled with top quality players to compete with, and then overtake, the EPL. I have no idea how they are going to stop it as they already have FIFA in their pockets.
Personally I think it ends with a Saudi funded ‘world super league’

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
What can you do though? No rules are being broken and it’s no different to the US in the 70s/80s when Pele, Peter Beardsley etc were bought in on big money to get their leagues going, what China tried to do in recent years etc.

I’d be happy to let the greedy players who lack ambition all go out there and see what they think and if it’s what they really want.
Whilst I don't disagree with the basis of your point, and think it's a fair response to the post you're replying to, I think that the issue is less about players (who lets be honest are professionals being offered a lot of money) and more about the conflict of interests these Chelsea deals represent. For me these deals are more about the PIF/Chelsea circumventing FFP rules by using the league as an accountancy tool. We all knew that Chelsea had to sell to pass FFP and that originally looked like it would make quite an interesting and open buying market as consequence of their overspending. This allows them to bypass that consequence without issue making a mockery of FFP.

Just wait until Matt Ritchie jets off next summer for the exact amount that Newcastle need to buy their next big signing.

Last edited:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Frankly, that’s just bollocks. COVID showed that top level pro football without plentiful and passionate fans is nowhere near the ‘product’ required to sell its for €billions. How many teams are in the Saudi league? 8? 10? No history, no fans, nothing to try to qualify for, no one gives a shit. No chance it overtakes the EPL or any other major European league, IMO ever. Unless they’re going to fly in 100k fans each weekend? (I’m available for £50k a match BTW…..)

This is just more sportswashing/money laundering/FFP dodging corruption.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unless they’re going to fly in 100k fans each weekend? (I’m available for £50k a match BTW…..)

Too hot and dusty for me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Frankly, that’s just bollocks. COVID showed that top level pro football without plentiful and passionate fans is nowhere near the ‘product’ required to sell its for €billions. How many teams are in the Saudi league? 8? 10? No history, no fans, nothing to try to qualify for, no one gives a shit. No chance it overtakes the EPL or any other major European league, IMO ever. Unless they’re going to fly in 100k fans each weekend? (I’m available for £50k a match BTW…..)

This. You can buy the world's best players, but you're not going to get anything like the interest of world-wide fans who support clubs with a history and rivalries with other clubs to match. It's basically going to be a series of exhibition matches.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Why thank you, that was kind.
I did say this is the beginning of what I think they are looking to do. The EPL lives off the money from Sky and betting around the world. I don’t think it will take them much to buy it all out over a period. It’s not something I want but something I am concerned about because it will ruin the game we all love.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The Saudi clubs, who are funded by the Saudi heads of state, who have billions of pounds worth of assets managed by Clearlake Capital, Clearlake Capital who purchased 60% of Chelsea.

🤬
Indeed. I was reading Swiss Ramble's very good post on FFP earlier, and this comment stood out:

1687181127614.png

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

I’ll do it for £30k per week and be happy to have 3 close up camera shots of me looking ecstatic, sad, tense (depending on requirements) and will wear a half and half head scarf.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Indeed. Who is going to watch it ? Domestic football is all that actually matters and that includes the Albion’s Europa League sideshow. Personally I am more proud of our highest league finish than the EL. At the top level it is clear that a group of the super rich are looking to acquire the game but does it actually matter ? All they will have is an unwatched Saudi league and a handful of players and maybe even clubs from from each European country. That doesn’t impact at all on the match day football experience of the overwhelming majority of football fans. If players want to go then fine. If clubs want to go also fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports