Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
John, seems even players are thinking your club is undesirable and refusing to go there, however much wonga you wave at them now :lolol:

Chelsea is a Clusterfuck...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why? It wasn’t playing for Chelsea that got him in the England squad. It’s all down to what Levi wants, if he wants out of Chelsea then it doesn’t change anything apart from potentially the fee. He may end up here or elsewhere but it seems pretty obvious now that he wants to leave Chelsea.
He has a contract with Chelsea so it’s not all down to what the player wants. Same with our want away players at various times and also with Ben White. If he wants to leave he will have to bide his time.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Chelsea hold all the cards with Levi, and for once they may be in danger of making a good decision by actually holding on to him as he is a good player. I'm happy for the Albion to keep pressing if they feel there is a good chance we can snag him. That said I will not be distraught if we fail to secure his signature this window either, we'll just go get another CB from elsewhere.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Chelsea hold all the cards with Levi, and for once they may be in danger of making a good decision by actually holding on to him as he is a good player. I'm happy for the Albion to keep pressing if they feel there is a good chance we can snag him. That said I will not be distraught if we fail to secure his signature this window either, we'll just go get another CB from elsewhere.
Let's face it, nobody takes No for an answer from us, so why should we?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I might be being naive, but does a footballer playing for their national team really make THAT much difference to their value? And if so, how much?

I get that it's recognition for them on another (higher?) level, but so is, for example, getting PL player of the month. Also, when I think of some of the dross ('with all due respect', as John Doe would say) that turn out for international teams, I can't quite fathom the equation of Picked for England squad = £5m added to the transfer fee.

:shrug:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I might be being naive, but does a footballer playing for their national team really make THAT much difference to their value? And if so, how much?

I get that it's recognition for them on another (higher?) level, but so is, for example, getting PL player of the month. Also, when I think of some of the dross ('with all due respect', as John Doe would say) that turn out for international teams, I can't quite fathom the equation of Picked for England squad = £5m added to the transfer fee.

It doesn’t in any example apart from England I suspect.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Let's face it, nobody takes No for an answer from us, so why should we?
Because we don’t want to do what Leeds did and waste so much time trying to sign a not for sale loan player we disrupt our planning. I just can’t see Tony doing that, especially in such a short summer break. Arsenal also persisted when told no and it didn’t get them anywhere. Works both ways.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If he played a blinder against Argentina or France, for example, that could be problematic. Malta less so.

It's not as if scouts worldwide haven't seen him performing in the PL all season anyway.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

It shouldn't make any difference to a director of football type at any sensibly run club. If they didn't know the footballer was any good before he played for his country then that DoF probably shouldn't be in the job in the first place.

On the other hand if say the football club was being run by a massive bellend with too much money, like, I don't know, say Chelsea perhaps, then these things might affect their decision making far more than it should.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He’s travelling to Malta now, they wouldn’t take him over there if they weren’t going to play him with the u21’s Euro’s round the corner.
But, to be clear, you're guessing? Or do you have a source which shows that he will be in the senior matchday squad?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
But, to be clear, you're guessing? Or do you have a source which shows that he will be in the senior matchday squad?
From Simon Johnson in the Athletic:

Colwill could now be given a chance to make his senior England debut during their upcoming Euro 2024 qualifiers in Malta on Friday and against North Macedonia at Wembley Stadium on Monday.

As I say, I think it’s highly unlikely they would take him over there if they weren’t going to play him, especially as the u21’s are together already for the Euro’s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here