[Albion] Levi Colwill

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
That’s us completely out of the picture then, based on two posts above.

The Albion won’t pay £50m or £60m for a CB, who’s an uncapped young work in progress.

World class, finished article VVD, cost Liverpool £75m.
Exactly and exactly. Move on

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Why is he worth £60m?? And why worth more than White? White had a full season in the Championship (Player of the Season) and a full season in the Premier League (voted Player of the Season (by Leeds fans :ROFLMAO: )), was called up by England and had 4 years left on his contract. Colwill played about half a season in the Premier League, isn't in the England squad and has 2 years left on his contract
Spot on, some on here seem to be in the Todd valuation camp

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What VVD cost a 5 ago is of little relevance. Market gone up substantially and also doesn’t have the ‘English’ tax attached.

yes sorry - It slips my mind a touch the PL season just because it was all behind closed doors. Poor excuse I admit!

I’d rate Colwill higher than White just as to me he seems more of a finished article than White - and certainly than White was at his age, is a left footed ball playing CB which is always well sought after and plays for a ‘traditional’ Top 6 side who are uninterested it appears in selling. Appreciate Colwill hasn’t played for the senior squad yet but has been around the England set up for a long time which White wasn’t.

The more recent market then:

World class Dias to ManC £60m, Portugese first team regular.
De Ligt to Bayern initial £59m 30 Dutch caps.
Martinez to Manure initial £46m, Argentine regular.

Colwill’s career stats are 17 PL appearances.

We won’t be paying £60m or anything like that for a defender. Double our record for a player, Joao Pedro.

[I rate him btw, Dunk and Colwill is my perfect Albion pairing].

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The more recent market then:

World class Dias to ManC £60m, Portugese first team regular.
De Ligt to Bayern initial £59m 30 Dutch caps.
Martinez to Manure initial £46m, Argentine regular.

Colwill’s career stats are 17 PL appearances.

We won’t be paying £60m or anything like that for a defender. Double our record for a player, Joao Pedro.

[I rate him btw, Dunk and Colwill is my perfect Albion pairing].
I'm not entirely sure anyone has advocated that we spend 60m on Colwill. As you say, we won't. I'd certainly go to 40m for us, and wouldn't be surprised if Tony does either. We'll see. I suspect we'll know where Colwill is playing by the end of the month: that's when the 22/23 accounts finish, if he's still there then, he'll be staying.
I suspect that he wants to play regular first team football and is of the view that he won't get that at Chelsea next season. He's their player though with another two years on his contract. The key question is how much they have to balance their books and on that, I haven't heard of any credible figures.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not entirely sure anyone has advocated that we spend 60m on Colwill. As you say, we won't. I'd certainly go to 40m for us, and wouldn't be surprised if Tony does either. We'll see. I suspect we'll know where Colwill is playing by the end of the month: that's when the 22/23 accounts finish, if he's still there then, he'll be staying.
I suspect that he wants to play regular first team football and is of the view that he won't get that at Chelsea next season. He's their player though with another two years on his contract. The key question is how much they have to balance their books and on that, I haven't heard of any credible figures.
See post #802 and the context of the posts leading up to it, it was about us signing him.

Leaving to balance the FFP books are:
Auba
Pulisic
Mendy
Mount
Gallagher
RLC
CHO
Kovacic

My dream is that we sign him, £40m feels the top.

An added complication is that because he looked good, far bigger clubs are interested now. His name is mentioned in their media.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seems a lot of hyperbole about Colwill tbh. He’s been great for us, but often out of the team when Webster was fit. He may well develop into a highly rated CB, but he was in a fight to get in our team and I don’t think he’ll be a starter at Chelsea. £30m was a big offer for us and clearly RDZ would love to continue his development. Above £40m would be silly money. £50m for White was silly money, £60m Cucrella utterly ridiculous. Let’s not use those 2 transfers as benchmarks for us.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Latest reports are that Chelsea see him as a bargaining chip in negotiations for Caicedo. Happy to loan him to us for another season as part of the deal. Given the interest in Caicedo everywhere, his long contract, the fact he’s still young and should be playing European football next season, that seems like a weak bargaining chip to me. Hope we’d hold out to say it’s a permanent deal or nothing. If we got Colwill & a good chunk on top for Caicedo that would be attractive. If they just want RDZ working with Colwill - and in Europe - for another year, the fee they pay should probably be going up, not down.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Latest reports are that Chelsea see him as a bargaining chip in negotiations for Caicedo. Happy to loan him to us for another season as part of the deal. Given the interest in Caicedo everywhere, his long contract, the fact he’s still young and should be playing European football next season, that seems like a weak bargaining chip to me. Hope we’d hold out to say it’s a permanent deal or nothing. If we got Colwill & a good chunk on top for Caicedo that would be attractive. If they just want RDZ working with Colwill - and in Europe - for another year, the fee they pay should probably be going up, not down.
Yeah absolutely no chance we see another loan of Levi as a decent bargaining chip. If they see him as something to help them facilitate a move for Caicedo we would 100% insist on it being a permanent move & a load of money on top.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think another loan is the way to go. Either we buy him or we look elsewhere and we cannot let this go to the wire either as we will probably miss out on whomever we have in mind as second choice. If we assume it will be someone very good surely other clubs will already have whomever it is on their radar.

This needs to be settled one way or t’other quickly. I guess that’s why we’ve gone so early?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I know that the club will be pragmatic with this but Chelsea can’t have their cake and eat it. I’m really not comfortable about helping them get a RDZ polished Colwill and Caicedo for the future.

Another Colwill loan plus flogging them Moises (probably our best player ever) seems counterproductive now that we have finished above them. Moises will have other wealthy suitors and there must be similar players to Colwill we can find.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Another loan for Colwill is mutually beneficial. Not something we should heavily compensate them for (beyond wages etc).
FWIW I don’t like Colwill at any more than £35m, if that.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Also another small factor in our favour is that I believe due to FFP Chelsea need to sell or offload a large number of players by the end of June for this season's accounts, so the later we leave any deal, we might be able to push them to a more favourable price if they become a bit more desperate.

Can't help think that many other clubs know this too, and if I was a club wanting a Chelsea player, I'd leave negotiations down to the last day or two of June. They may be forced by then to offload a few at cheaper prices before the June financial cut off.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
What we are forgetting in this Colwill loan as a bargaining chip for Moises is that of the teams allegedly after Moises, Arsenal have Champions League football next season and aren’t a basket case like Chelsea.
I expect that Moises would prefer Arsenal too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was initially against a loan for Colwill last season, but nobody could say it didn't work out well for us. So how bad would another season on loan be, especially if we want to maximise our chances of going as far as possible in Europe? Of course, the terms that Chelsea would want will be what decides whether it's acceptable to us, and I have to trust TB and PB on that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Trouble with a loan is our form, we are basically doing a Southampton/Leicester if we sell both Mac and Moses, have a bit of success flog everyone until the replacements are nowhere near as good. Most PL games are won or lost in midfield. If we struggle next season that gives the lad an option to run back to Chelsea.

I find the clamour for other PL owners/managers to sign our players rather odd to the point they will need a fight club soon to see who wins the deal. If Eze played in a BHA shirt with 10 goals and ten assists this season we would be batting off £80/90m bids this summer. Are we now known as the selling club bitches of the PL?

Would we refuse £80m last minute bids for Mitoma or Enciso when clubs miss out on other attacking options and start to panic? I guess we will find out.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports