Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Levi Colwill

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I like colwill but I'm not convinced he's been as good as some here are making out. Looked shoddy again for periods yesterday and in other games recently apart from arsenal. Also still bugs me that he was too 'fatigued' to play Vs castle.
The 'fatigued' decision almost certainly won't have been his, more likely driven from the S&C team based on their data.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Levi got a heartfelt 'We Want You To Staaaay' from the North during the Lap Of Appreciation. He'd be a tremendous asset to the club and has clearly bought into the club ethos. He's clearly having FUN here! Renains to be seen if cash considerations trump all elae tho. They usually do. Whatever, wishing the lad nothing but well, however it pans out. While he's been here he's never given anything other than everything. Respect for that Levi :bowdown:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The 'fatigued' decision almost certainly won't have been his, more likely driven from the S&C team based on their data.
Indeed. Sometimes I think people just imagine players tell the boss they'd really like a rest, or can't be arsed to play, when- especially if you're part of a winning side- they're usually desperate to play, even when their body is feeling the strain. It's the S&C staff and the data people who are responsible for identifying that, "look, this guy is at significant risk of a fatigue injury [like a hamstring strain] because we can see the impact the increased load of playing non stop football is having on his muscles".

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Levi got a heartfelt 'We Want You To Staaaay' from the North during the Lap Of Appreciation. He'd be a tremendous asset to the club and has clearly bought into the club ethos. He's clearly having FUN here! Renains to be seen if cash considerations trump all elae tho. They usually do. Whatever, wishing the lad nothing but well, however it pans out. While he's been here he's never given anything other than everything. Respect for that Levi :bowdown:
Well if he wants European football, he'll demand to leave Chelsea!

The fact Chelsea are one of the alleged suitors for Caicedo and or MacAllister, should be used as leverage with Colwill imho if we are to sell either.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well if he wants European football, he'll demand to leave Chelsea!

The fact Chelsea are one of the alleged suitors for Caicedo and or MacAllister, should be used as leverage with Colwill imho if we are to sell either.
But then why would Colwill want to join a team who are selling their best players off after qualifying for the EL?

We can afford to lose one of Mac or Caicedo, not both IMO, it will destabilise the team massively and also won’t be a good look to players we want to sign, we need to really grasp this chance to become a top side, as hard as it is for us little
Brighton fans to get our heads round. 🤯

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
But then why would Colwill want to join a team who are selling their best players off after qualifying for the EL?

We can afford to lose one of Mac or Caicedo, not both IMO, it will destabilise the team massively and also won’t be a good look to players we want to sign, we need to really grasp this chance to become a top side, as hard as it is for us little
For European football for starters and because he knows the lads, the club, the manager and is a regular starter. Boehly says Colwill is not for sale, but if we have something he wants, well then maybe he is?

Players always come and go, I would love for both of those 2 players to stay, but if they dont and the money is invested wisely, whose to say we'll be weaker next season?

The last few seasons, on paper, you could make the same arguments, when in fact we've got collectively stronger despite selling our preceived better players but still having quality replacements.

Chelsea is a much bigger club, but players like Lamptey, Livramento etc are wise to prioritise regular games at this stage of career. Here Colwill is our number 2 central defender (ahead of Webster in RDZ eyes imho), at Chelsea is he today?

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Even if he wants the move it'll be 50+ easily after we ourselves set a precedent with Ben White. We certainly do need quality bodies in at the back though and Levi will only get better.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Even if he wants the move it'll be 50+ easily after we ourselves set a precedent with Ben White. We certainly do need quality bodies in at the back though and Levi will only get better.
There is no way Colwill is that sort of money. White went for £50m because Arsenal wanted him so badly. There won't be that demand for Colwill. Going to depend on whether Pochettino rates him not, and whether Colwill wants regular game time. Could be another season loan potentially too.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

It is a great look to the players we want to sign next. The message is clear to the brightest young prospects in the world. Come to Brighton and get game time. We won’t be mugged off (Arsenal/Caicedo in January) but we will sell when the time is right for both parties. It has been explained many times by Barber so there really is no excuse not to understand or to think ‘little Brighton fans’ need to get our heads around something that isn’t actually in the plan. Perhaps some of our fans need to listen rather than assume we are going to be chasing success to ‘become a top side’ in the traditional way. ‘Top sides’ tend to be money pits. The stated aim of the club is self sufficiency. Really not the same thing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For European football for starters and because he knows the lads, the club, the manager and is a regular starter. Boehly says Colwill is not for sale, but if we have something he wants, well then maybe he is?

Players always come and go, I would love for both of those 2 players to stay, but if they dont and the money is invested wisely, whose to say we'll be weaker next season?

The last few seasons, on paper, you could make the same arguments, when in fact we've got collectively stronger despite selling our preceived better players but still having quality replacements.

Chelsea is a much bigger club, but players like Lamptey, Livramento etc are wise to prioritise regular games at this stage of career. Here Colwill is our number 2 central defender (ahead of Webster in RDZ eyes imho), at Chelsea is he today?
Boehly says Colwill is not for sale, but Boehly has also demonstrated that he has no idea how to run a Premier League Football club.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Boehly says Colwill is not for sale, but Boehly has also demonstrated that he has no idea how to run a Premier League Football club.
To be fair, they are never going to say they want to sell him are they ? Not exactly a great negotiating tactic. Whether or not they are prepared to sell him they certainly wouldn’t be saying if they were open to offers if they wish to extract as much ££££ as possible.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It is a great look to the players we want to sign next. The message is clear to the brightest young prospects in the world. Come to Brighton and get game time. We won’t be mugged off (Arsenal/Caicedo in January) but we will sell when the time is right for both parties. It has been explained many times by Barber so there really is no excuse not to understand or to think ‘little Brighton fans’ need to get our heads around something that isn’t actually in the plan. Perhaps some of our fans need to listen rather than assume we are going to be chasing success to ‘become a top side’ in the traditional way. ‘Top sides’ tend to be money pits. The stated aim of the club is self sufficiency. Really not the same thing.
Selling off known quantities (our best players) and replacing them is a very risky and unstable way of sustaining ourselves, we don’t want to be a flash in the pan top 6 team.

We’ve never been in this position as a club before, of course we want to sustain the plan that got us here but sometimes you have to alter the plan slightly, selling our best players to league rivals (Liverpool/Chelsea… weirdly) if it was me I would be doing everything to make Caicedo/Mac stay, if it means offering them more money then so be it.

This squad is good enough to compete for top 4, I genuinely believe that, it’s a true golden generation of talent.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
True. Part of the problem that RDZ has had during the recent injury crisis has been that, as well as being down to a squad of 14/15 senior pros, seven of those left were 21 or under. As well as having a goal to meet, he had a duty of care to his players. You only have to listen to Michael Owen to understand what overplaying at a young age can do to players later on. Add in that RDZ also had to manage the minutes of Welbeck and Mac Allister who played the whole World Cup, and you can see why RDZ said at press conferences that he had lost sleep over selections.

I hope that youngsters like Ayari, Moran, Offiah etc get a bit of game time in the last couple and give others some hard earned rest. I'm all for respecting the competition, but we owe Tottenham nothing. If we had got similar respect that we should have had from PGMOL, their season would already be over. Our players' welfare should be our priority.

Last edited:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
There is no way Colwill is that sort of money. White went for £50m because Arsenal wanted him so badly. There won't be that demand for Colwill. Going to depend on whether Pochettino rates him not, and whether Colwill wants regular game time. Could be another season loan potentially too.
As an English LCB it's a niche market, he's not going to be cheap even if his will is to force a move.

Very likely to be a permanent fixture in the future national side.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Selling off known quantities (our best players) and replacing them is a very risky and unstable way of sustaining ourselves, we don’t want to be a flash in the pan top 6 team.

We’ve never been in this position as a club before, of course we want to sustain the plan that got us here but sometimes you have to alter the plan slightly, selling our best players to league rivals (Liverpool/Chelsea… weirdly) if it was me I would be doing everything to make Caicedo/Mac stay, if it means offering them more money then so be it.

This squad is good enough to compete for top 4, I genuinely believe that, it’s a true golden generation of talent.
As a fan I agree with every sentiment, but the reality is as a club with 32k fans matchday revenue we're competing with clubs with 50-80k stadiums with massive global support and sponsor deals that would make the Amex deal look like small change.

Its easy to make these kind of claims, but the hard reality, which Bloom and Barber will see, is that to protect a club with matchdays of 32k, for all scenarios, growth and success must be sustainable.

I'm not sure we are able to dine at the top table, pay top table wages and not sell some of our assets, unless of course we all think Bloom is and should be a bottomless pit of personal funding.

God forbid, but what if we did all those things, chasing the dream and TB suddenly wasnt with us anymore?

I can think of 3 reasons why sustainable growith only is the right way forward for our club.

Leeds, QPR, Portsmouth

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I really want to see more of Ayari. I think there is something special there.

I’m afraid that the whole “we want you to stay” chants only work to fire up the agents more than they convince the player to stay.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We need to get real. If we were charging £50 million for White, and want around £100 million for Caicedo why would Chelsea offer a cut price deal for Colwill. It would be an astronomical fee. English, left footed, exceptional potential. They need to sell but they don't need to sell HIM and with Badoshie out they have room for him in the match day squad. People are funny- our player £100million, someone else's £10 quid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here