Letter to the FA

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Whilst I don't agree it was a sending off and I do believe the FA were wrong not to overturn it I'm certainly not surprised and it is obvious to me why they upheld the referees decision. But then I guess I'm able to take my blue and white tinted specs off from time to time.

Well aren't you the clever one.

I wish you all the luck in the world in your crusade against the "corrupt" FA.

Thanks.
Once I have received detail of the appeal finding, have digested its content and shared it with those who are interested, so that we may benefit from it for future reference, I will move happily move on.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Since when did the FA ever give a stuff about BHAFC?

Read "Build a Bonfire" and see what help the FA gave us when ******** Archer and ******* Bellotti were wrecking our club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hi, I havent't been on the forum for a while. I quite liked you guys and was giving you some time to cool down. However, during that time, you have managed to convince yourself of the following:

1) Gaston was saving an old injury in order to get your player sent off. Speechless.
2) It wasn't even a foul. Odd that the referee was two yards away and blew instantly.
3) It was never a red card. FA interpretations of "serious foul play" has been provided below.
4) The FA are conspiring against you. Quite frankly ridiculous and again, see FA interpretations of football law.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.
A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.
Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send
off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.
A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is
restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred
inside the offender’s penalty area)."

Looking at "stills" of the tackle, Both feet were OFF the ground. This can be interpreted as a "lunge".

In addition, it is impossible to argue to the tackle did not endanger the safety of an opponent. As can be seen by the gash in the players leg.

Please note: the law does not mention intent. Intent is not (and rightly not) taken into consideration in the referees decision.

You may feel aggrieved due to a similar incident with Barton a few weeks back, however I find it difficult to swallow the difference in your attitudes towards both of these tackles, considering your anger at his non-dismissal. I do agree havign read these rules, BArton should have been sent off.

As you can see, even if you believe the decision was not correct, as per the law, referees have to adhere to, it was not "incorrect". I do however, understand why you have appealed it with nothing to lose challenging it.

I hope a line can be drawn and you focus on the play offs. Your team needs your support now. It does not need you to dwell on something you have zero control of.

Wish you all the best.

Hopefully I will see you in a couple of weeks to say congratulations.

What I saw was Stephens fully intent on getting to the ball ahead of his opponent and volleying it away. This is a player who'd never been sent off before in 8 years of professional footballer which, for a midfielder, is quite something. I don't believe there was any intent on his part to injure or use excessive force.

"Both feet were OFF the ground." Yes, but this happens all the time in football. He had to jump to get the ball first and win it cleanly which is what he did.

This is one of those rare cases when a player has got injured because he gets to the ball second and is caught on the follow-through.

I believe Mike Dean was affected by the handbags involving Stephens that had occurred a minute or two earlier. I don't blame Dean for this but when than FA panel look at the incident I'd expect them to take that factor into account as to why he might have given a red rather than a yellow.

The lack of transparency and accountability for the decision is poor. Although I don't agree with the policy of referees staying silent I accept it for what it is, but for the FA to rubber-stamp the decision following an appeal without any comment is simply poor form.

Some may ask "Why should the FA have to comment?" I believe that certain incident like this in high profile matches need clarification. In any other match a player deliberately knocking a card out of a referees hand would have warranted a yellow card so why wasn't it given? Why did the referee go from yellow to red? Why did he feel the need to consult his linesman? Did he honestly react to the injury rather than the offence?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Hi, I havent't been on the forum for a while. I quite liked you guys and was giving you some time to cool down. However, during that time, you have managed to convince yourself of the following:

1) Gaston was saving an old injury in order to get your player sent off. Speechless.
2) It wasn't even a foul. Odd that the referee was two yards away and blew instantly.
3) It was never a red card. FA interpretations of "serious foul play" has been provided below.
4) The FA are conspiring against you. Quite frankly ridiculous and again, see FA interpretations of football law.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
serious foul play.
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless

Looking at "stills" of the tackle, Both feet were OFF the ground. This can be interpreted as a "lunge".

In addition, it is impossible to argue to the tackle did not endanger the safety of an opponent. As can be seen by the gash in the players leg.

Please note: the law does not mention intent. Intent is not (and rightly not) taken into consideration in the referees decision.

You may feel aggrieved due to a similar incident with Barton a few weeks back, however I find it difficult to swallow the difference in your attitudes towards both of these tackles, considering your anger at his non-dismissal. I do agree havign read these rules, BArton should have been sent off.

As you can see, even if you believe the decision was not correct, as per the law, referees have to adhere to, it was not "incorrect". I do however, understand why you have appealed it with nothing to lose challenging it.

I hope a line can be drawn and you focus on the play offs. Your team needs your support now. It does not need you to dwell on something you have zero control of.

Wish you all the best.

The key point is that Stephens won the ball cleanly and did not follow through into Ramirez. Rather, Ramirez was late to the ball and kicked the underside of Stephens' boot. That's why it's not a foul nor a sending off. Then we could start discussing what punishment Ramirez should have received for knocking the yellow card out of Dean's hand.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If he did 'lunge' it was at the ball with no one else around it, he did not lunge at an opponent.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am over it. But I would like to understand the ruling. As far as I can see from replays, the injury occurs because Ramirez is late, looking at Stephens instead of the ball. It seems odd that he was kicking at Stephens rather than the ball, but it is Stephens who is suspended.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

serious foul play.

Wish you all the best.

You are not welcome on here. The behaviour of some of your fans at the game and a number of idiots on social media has made it clear what sort of club you are. Out of interest, do you defend Ramirez's actions in smashing the card out of Dean's hand, then going off with oxygen only to miraculously reappear to celebrate at the end. What about your coach who tried to keep the ball at the end? Your fans, players and management have all shown a complete lack of class over this and I'd be ashamed if I was a Middlesbrough fan rather than coming on here and lecturing us. Maybe you should take a good look at your own team's behaviour before criticising others.

Also the difference between Stephens and Barton is that Barton stamped on Kayal while Stephens won the ball and the injury was the result of a late challenge from Ramirez. Oh and Barton wasn't sent off...

What is wrong with you people? No one outside of BHAFC gives a ****. It didn't even make Sky Sports News the hour I watched last night and they had a bit about push bikes.

The FA aren't corrupt, they've just sided with their referee. We're not the first club to fall foul to a poor refereeing decision and we won't be the last. Yes there was and is a lot at stake but the reality of the situation was we looked a better side in my opinion when we went down to 10. Yes Stevens will be missed but that is life. Sometimes you don't get the rub of the green.

Plenty of folk on here took great pleasure in ripping it out of Palace when on of their mongs started a petition over Liverpool's last minute penalty. Writing to the FA, contacting the press, tweeting a hashtag is just as bad in my eye.

Some of you need to stop acting like spoilt kids who are pissing their pants over one decision when the reality is over the course of the season we didn't quite do enough to go up automatically. We've now got another chance to have a go at it so get behind the team and stop bloody whinging about something you haven't got a flying frigs chance of changing.

Grow up and start looking forward to Friday/Monday.

Maybe a tad harsh and not terribly diplomatic Arthur, but I completely agree with your sentiments.

Shit happens. Time to move on, we can't change things. I agree it shouldn't have happened but it did, people made mistakes. The talk of corrupt FA and cheating referees is ridiculous and makes us sound like moaners and complainers and bad losers.

As a well known Sussex genteman wrote many years ago:-

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;......
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!"

And a countryman of Clade from way back when God's dog was a puppy summed it up pretty well:-

"O God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".

I'll probably get slated for this but we do ourselves no favours with some of the comments on the forum.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
This is exactly my point. Most on here are meekly accepting that nothing can be done but we need to make a point. If hundreds or even thousands of us post or email this letter it may not get a reply but it will aggravate them to hell and might just make them stop and think for a moment. Their arrogance and intransigence defies belief and they cannot be allowed to brush justice under the carpet.

I thought we should be talking about the Football League rather than the Football Association, my mistake, but IRRELEVANT, neither ever make mistakes :ffsparr:

There is sadly the possibility ( on the basis of their vindictive viewpoint up to now) that the particular action you suggest would just create a 'Hate BHA' attitude within the 'Towers' which would be counter productive so perhaps we should just let it go and keep our heads under the radar for the future !

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Gotta love the FA site for the detail it goes into when explaining how they reached their decision on review:

Tuesday 10 May

Dale Stephens, Brighton & Hove Albion FC
Middlesbrough FC v Brighton & Hove Albion FC
Football League Championship, 7 May 2016
Dismissed for serious foul play
Claims made of wrongful dismissal and excessive punishment

Both claims unsuccessful. Stephens’ three-match suspension remains in place

http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2016/may/charges-hearing-results-suspensions-appeals

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You are not welcome on here. The behaviour of some of your fans at the game and a number of idiots on social media has made it clear what sort of club you are. Out of interest, do you defend Ramirez's actions in smashing the card out of Dean's hand, then going off with oxygen only to miraculously reappear to celebrate at the end. What about your coach who tried to keep the ball at the end? Your fans, players and management have all shown a complete lack of class over this and I'd be ashamed if I was a Middlesbrough fan rather than coming on here and lecturing us. Maybe you should take a good look at your own team's behaviour before criticising others.

Also the difference between Stephens and Barton is that Barton stamped on Kayal while Stephens won the ball and the injury was the result of a late challenge from Ramirez. Oh and Barton wasn't sent off...

Nothing like tarnishing a whole club from the actions of a few turbots. Jesus christ I hope other clubs don't see what's gone on here since Saturday.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Come on guys, if all this anger and resentment were to transmit to the players there would be a very good chance someone else will get himself sent off on Friday!!
Can't we put it aside, and start getting behind the team and look forward instead of back AND CHEER THE FECK UP.
Just saying like.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Patronising!?!?!?! Grow some balls and grow up FFS!!!

It needs to be said because people are carrying this victim mentality into the play-offs when we should only be focusing on the football.

Writing letters isn't going to make a jot of difference. There are dozens of contentious decisions and appeals every year from big clubs which get far more scrutiny media coverage than our one. They deal with all of them in the same way, we aren't a special case.

The FA won't give a s**t if a handful of Brighton fans write a stern letter.

As I said patronising people who feel that using words like 'Grow some balls and grow up ' make them feel more adult. I have balls and am fully grown up .

Personally I was not particularly riled about the decision and would have bet on the FA to back the ref, some people have taken it very badly let them deal with it as they see fit and NSC is (was?) a place they felt free to do it, they don't need people to patronise them.

You are correct we will not be able to get the decision changed but does that mean you have to accept it. Maybe if 20k Brighton fans emailed them they would start to give a s**t because it sure would stoke up media interest and questions about how the FA is run. You seem to be content with the way the FA run things, personally I am not.The FA really need to get into the 21st century.

Regards the task in hand there are other threads dealing with the pure football aspects of the coming challenge.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As I said patronising people who feel that using words like 'Grow some balls and grow up ' make them feel more adult. I have balls and am fully grown up .

Personally I was not particularly riled about the decision and would have bet on the FA to back the ref, some people have taken it very badly let them deal with it as they see fit and NSC is (was?) a place they felt free to do it, they don't need people to patronise them.

You are correct we will not be able to get the decision changed but does that mean you have to accept it. Maybe if 20k Brighton fans emailed them they would start to give a s**t because it sure would stoke up media interest and questions about how the FA is run. You seem to be content with the way the FA run things, personally I am not.The FA really need to get into the 21st century.

Regards the task in hand there are other threads dealing with the pure football aspects of the coming challenge.

Well said, sir.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
What is wrong with you people? No one outside of BHAFC gives a ****. It didn't even make Sky Sports News the hour I watched last night and they had a bit about push bikes.

The FA aren't corrupt, they've just sided with their referee. We're not the first club to fall foul to a poor refereeing decision and we won't be the last. Yes there was and is a lot at stake but the reality of the situation was we looked a better side in my opinion when we went down to 10. Yes Stevens will be missed but that is life. Sometimes you don't get the rub of the green.

Plenty of folk on here took great pleasure in ripping it out of Palace when on of their mongs started a petition over Liverpool's last minute penalty. Writing to the FA, contacting the press, tweeting a hashtag is just as bad in my eye.

Some of you need to stop acting like spoilt kids who are pissing their pants over one decision when the reality is over the course of the season we didn't quite do enough to go up automatically. We've now got another chance to have a go at it so get behind the team and stop bloody whinging about something you haven't got a flying frigs chance of changing.

Grow up and start looking forward to Friday/Monday.

Alle****ingullah.
Talk about victim mentality. Ok a yellow card would have been correct but does anyone, in their heart of hearts. Really believe that Stephens didn't leave something in that challenge? I mean really?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Alle****ingullah.
Talk about victim mentality. Ok a yellow card would have been correct but does anyone, in their heart of hearts. Really believe that Stephens didn't leave something in that challenge? I mean really?

Agree.

Let's all let it go. Get behind the players and get promoted.

We can come back to it all on May 29th and it will give us something for the summer besides transfer rumours.

Sent from my iPhone using blancmange

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dear Brighton and Hove Albion

Tough shit.

Love

Everybody else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports