[Albion] Let’s Talk About Locadia

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think I’m right in saying none of those in the first batch you mention are central strikers.
Locadia is a central striker, just a very very limited one.
The others would be a real shot in the dark. Then there’s Connolly, who is a similar standard to Locadia.
Let’s face it, the options we have up front are dire. Comfortably the worst in the Premier League and barely average for the championship.

Correct, all three of those players play primarily in midfield, although surely Tolaj who is scoring for fun in the PL2, is a better bet for the bench than Locadia.

Although knowing my place, and never wishing to disagree with a Henfieldian, even Connolly has to be head and shoulders above Locadia in terms of ability! Where was he yesterday anyway?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Correct, all three of those players play primarily in midfield, although surely Tolaj who is scoring for fun in the PL2, is a better bet for the bench than Locadia.

Although knowing my place, and never wishing to disagree with a Henfieldian, even Connolly has to be head and shoulders above Locadia in terms of ability! Where was he yesterday anyway?

Based on yesterday, I’m sure we could (genuinely) make a case for Cowfold United’s main striker being better than Locadia.
We don’t see behind the scenes though. Presumably Locadia has impressed in training. perhaps they’ve had enough of Connolly for whatever reason. Or maybe another niggle.
But let’s think about the bigger picture here. If the argument is ‘who should we play, Connolly, Locadia or a reserve?’ Then it shows we are woefully short.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

This.

There must be significant problems with Connolly for Locadia to make the bench ahead of him

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
How much longer does Locadia's contract have to run? we seem to have been trying to offload him for ever. Totally ineffective with us, and in two loan spells, one of them in the MLS where he even struggled to make the bench at times.

Neal Maupay, as poor as he was yesterday, must have felt sick to the core at having to make way for someone like him.

Pay Locadia off (£100 should do it) and get all the kit back…(so he can’t pose in it) give him his jacket and quickly lock the door once he’s out….

My Granny could pose more of a threat and she died in 1988..

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Hs did remind me that Maupay wasn't playing as badly as I first thought

Warren and Johnny Cantor were discussing Maupay being substituted for Locadia. Warren commented that after the substitution, we had nobody as a target up front. Maupay got into the right positions to receive the ball. Locadia was never in those positions. Pretty fundamental really.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hs did remind me that Maupay wasn't playing as badly as I first thought

Maupay paying Locadia’s wages to make himself look better would explain a lot TBH

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
How much longer does Locadia's contract have to run? we seem to have been trying to offload him for ever. Totally ineffective with us, and in two loan spells, one of them in the MLS where he even struggled to make the bench at times.

Neal Maupay, as poor as he was yesterday, must have felt sick to the core at having to make way for someone like him.

Pay Locadia off (£100 should do it) and get all the kit back…(so he can’t pose in it) give him his jacket and quickly lock the door once he’s out….

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Well GP is upset with the fans, well I am upset with him and his decision making of substitutions
He cost us a point in my opinion last week at Villa when replaced both wing backs who were the only threat we had that day
Yesterday his decision to pick Locadia in preference to many others on the bench was pure criminal and if he was trying to make a political statement to the board he wants firing because if that’s what he was doing he let the club, the fans and himself down

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think I’m right in saying none of those in the first batch you mention are central strikers.
Locadia is a central striker, just a very very limited one.
The others would be a real shot in the dark. Then there’s Connolly, who is a similar standard to Locadia.
Let’s face it, the options we have up front are dire. Comfortably the worst in the Premier League and barely average for the championship.

Both the other subs who came on (one of whom is among the three you mention) are better strikers, central or otherwise, than Locadia. Both looked far more likely to score (and one did actually have shots on target) and both rightly got higher ratings in the player rating thread.

Potter did have a choice - more than one in fact. Sadly yesterday he made the wrong one.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well GP is upset with the fans, well I am upset with him and his decision making of substitutions
He cost us a point in my opinion last week at Villa when replaced both wing backs who were the only threat we had that day
Yesterday his decision to pick Locadia in preference to many others on the bench was pure criminal and if he was trying to make a political statement to the board he wants firing because if that’s what he was doing he let the club, the fans and himself down
Yep

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Both the other subs who came on (one of whom is among the three you mention) are better strikers, central or otherwise, than Locadia. Both looked far more likely to score (and one did actually have shots on target) and both rightly got higher ratings in the player rating thread.

Potter did have a choice - more than one in fact. Sadly yesterday he made the wrong one.

Hopefully Sarmiento over locadia from now on . It’s a sticking plaster to what we all know we really need tho .

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
The comical reaction from the crowd was very noticeable when he came on: a very audible mix of disbelief, laughter and frustration at the fact we'd more than likely forfeited any hope of scoring.

How on earth have we got to the point where we're bringing on a striker who has already failed once at the club and completely flunked at fecking fc cincinnati whilst still on our books before being brought back?!

And further resigned comedic laughter with the scuffed attempt with his left foot/shin/knee.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It often comes out later (or never comes out at all!) about contractual issues surrounding strange selections/substitutions/transfers. I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps there was something like this going on, but we'd probably never know.

Players nowadays can have outrageous clauses in their contracts, well beyond simple appearance fees or goal bonuses.

His contract is up in June, and he has no incentive whatsoever to leave before then, unless we just pay him up in full. If we are going to pay anyway, we may as well keep him here the final 6 months.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Sadly we mugged ourselves off for a few zeros more than that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It often comes out later (or never comes out at all!) about contractual issues surrounding strange selections/substitutions/transfers. I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps there was something like this going on, but we'd probably never know.

Players nowadays can have outrageous clauses in their contracts, well beyond simple appearance fees or goal bonuses.

His contract is up in June, and he has no incentive whatsoever to leave before then, unless we just pay him up in full. If we are going to pay anyway, we may as well keep him here the final 6 months.
Not if there is any danger of Potter putting him on the pitch again!

Can't we just offer him as a free half seeason loan to, I don't know, Carlisle or Oldham perhaps, oor maybe even Arbroath or Stranraer ............ and dock his wages if he won't go?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yesterday his decision to pick Locadia in preference to many others on the bench was pure criminal and if *made up speculation* he wants firing because if that’s what he was doing ( unlikely that he was ) he let the club, the fans and himself down

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports