Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let's make Chelsea a game where...

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
As Halloween approaches, the Amex should be a cauldron. Hopefully, we can get the atmosphere brewing pre-match and spook the opposition. Let's show Boehly that's his vampirish leeching isn't a silver bullet and De Zerbi's magic is stronger than Potter's. By the end I hope their players are crying for their mummies whilst the Frankenstein coaching team look on like a bunch of pumpkins.

I'll be over the moon if we can carve out a victory and, though I have respect for what Potter did here, maybe we can put the first nail in his Chelsea coffin.
9c87bfbd811a9b3503ac13c85c3cea68fc813e2b_00.gif

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed, although it's somewhat reinforced my "why bother?" depression.

"There is nothing you can do to stop the relentless assault of the richest teams. The Premier League has an established food chain and its apex predators will feast when they want on who they want. Enjoy your quaint success, little clubs; someone will be along shortly to restore the natural order."

This ^^ in particular is depressingly true. Potter's even managed to turn this game into some kind of Cup Final for us, whereas I doubt they really give a shit about this as an individual game so long as they are challenging for a couple of trophies come May.
In the end TB will need to maybe reluctantly get a heavyweight / state-sponsored partner on board in order to continue to compete at this obscenely elevated level. EL AL springs to mind as the obvious choice of commercial partner going forward. Who better to go toe-to-toe with Emirates and Qatar Airways?

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the end TB will need to maybe reluctantly get a heavyweight / state-sponsored partner on board in order to continue to compete at this obscenely elevated level. EL AL springs to mind as the obvious choice of commercial partner going forward. Who better to go toe-to-toe with Emirates and Qatar Airways?
Whats in it for the "heavyweight partner"?

Brighton is not a globally well-known brand unlike other clubs that were bought by the very richest. Neither do I think any petrol oligarch or whatever would like to share ownership.

I think the extension of Alexis contract - which happened with a timing of no use to Alexis - would indicate that perhaps Brighton are stepping up a level in terms of salaries.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Brighton is not a globally well-known brand unlike other clubs that were bought by the very richest. Neither do I think any petrol oligarch or whatever would like to share ownership.

I think the extension of Alexis contract - which happened with a timing of no use to Alexis - would indicate that perhaps Brighton are stepping up a level in terms of salaries.
Um, I'm guessing 'Alexis' is auto-correct for 'Amex'?

And wasn't all that long ago that Qatar - and airline of the same name - were relatively unknown.

Airlines can massively raise their profile by latching on to football's global popularity. I'm thinking Turkish Airlines in particular here

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You're absolutely correct that a heavyweight investor wouldn't be part of a partnership. It's all or nothing at that level. And I don't think Tony will sell. He's always said it's him and then his family. I find myself in a quandary over that. I wouldn't really want anyone else running the club and believe us to be well run, but we're clearly constrained to never do better than mid-table. I think the thing that swings me very much in favour of Team TB is that he's a fan. He gets it.

However, when Manchester City were taken over they had just finished NINTH in the Premier League and more people would remember them being in League One than winning a trophy. They were regarded as the "real" local Mancunian team. Not really a global brand. Can't think they were shifting shirts in, say, Iran or Zambia.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
And how do you expect the NSK to know which chants and songs you and every other fan knows? If you don't like the NSK's songs, they have no monopoly. You can devise and sing your own chants.

Of course, it's always easier to have a snipe at a small group who do everything they possibly can to generate some kind of atmosphere than actually do something positive yourself.
Blimey, have you actually been to The Amex? NSK sing all sorts of odd ditties that don't spread. How about they try "Brighton...clap clap clap" or "SEAGULLS... SEAGULLS", etc. You know, the sort of stuff that others join in with.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Turns out I and others were right in pointing out how good the Amex atmo is usually - and today just another example - have that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here