Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Let’s give some credit to Jason Steele tonight

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I would disagree that his best isn't good enough. People seem to have it in for Ryan, driven in part to the ridiculous complaints about his size! Steele redeemed himself with those 4 penalty saves but the pressure is off the keeper in those moments. We wouldn't have been in that position had he got anything on a cross that he flapped at. He also nearly cost us a goal during the match.

People seem prepared to slag off Ryan and live in a dream world where other keepers never make mistakes. Our problem is at the other end of table, 21 big chances missed and the only other teams ahead of us are Man City, Liverpool, Leeds, Villa, Chelsea and Man Utd. We've had 216 shots, with only the same 6 ahead of us. That's 80 shots more than Burnley who are bottom of the list but ahead of us in the table.

The size thing is never a problem when he's playing well. It just get's bought up and used when not playing well

Agree with everything you say

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would disagree that his best isn't good enough. People seem to have it in for Ryan, driven in part to the ridiculous complaints about his size! Steele redeemed himself with those 4 penalty saves but the pressure is off the keeper in those moments. We wouldn't have been in that position had he got anything on a cross that he flapped at. He also nearly cost us a goal during the match.

People seem prepared to slag off Ryan and live in a dream world where other keepers never make mistakes. Our problem is at the other end of table, 21 big chances missed and the only other teams ahead of us are Man City, Liverpool, Leeds, Villa, Chelsea and Man Utd. We've had 216 shots, with only the same 6 ahead of us. That's 80 shots more than Burnley who are bottom of the list but ahead of us in the table.

Would Ryan get into any other EPL team?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Yep, I thought he was done after his gaffe, but he showed guts. That shoot-out performance from us will live long in the memory - not just his four saves but two of the worst pens I've ever seen from us.

Two?

Trossard yes, but Maupay's was going in to the bottom corner and was a superb save. And if Bissouma's shot had been just a few inches to the right, it would have been seen as near perfect. So while he should certainly have played it a bit safer, I am not sure it counts as terrible by any means. Like many others I suspect, I was expecting to see it go into row z!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Two?

Trossard yes, but Maupay's was going in to the bottom corner and was a superb save. And if Bissouma's shot had been just a few inches to the right, it would have been seen as near perfect. So while he should certainly have played it a bit safer, I am not sure it counts as terrible by any means. Like many others I suspect, I was expecting to see it go into row z!

I'm loath to pile in on the penalty takers, but I'm afraid I'm in the camp that a professional footballer should hit the target from 12 yards every time apart from the odd freak mis-hit. I also think it should be hit hard so it doesn't matter if the keeper get's a hand to it. Then it's all down to whether the keeper is as good as Steele at saving them and nobody could legislate for that kind of brilliance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Two?

I thought Maupay's pen was a shocker, softly hit and low - and the context was that would have given us a 2-0 lead with three to go.

The French lads bottled it, while the German dispatch his with clinical precision. Nothing changes.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
This reminds me of when we let Dale go. There were some here who quite abusive at the idea that Bissouma was good enough to replace Dale Stephens. How did that work out.

This is tongue in cheek, but we have won one game since Dale left.

Also, I didn't see anyone being abusive at the idea that Bissouma was good enough to replace Dale Stephens.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Quite a few people on Twitter have said that VAR would have ruled them out. I checked and he was fine for all of them as far as I could tell. An incredible technique where he timed all of the dives to perfection. For all four saves he had part of his foot on the line

Link below to all four stills. Anyone disagree?

Remember his other leg can be as far in front of the line as he wants, as long as one foot is on the line.

He even just stood there for the guy that whacks it but he did not quite guess the right line.

https://twitter.com/berty23/status/1348401298044030984?s=21
You are so flipping right you know. That makes those four saves incredible in my eyes....well done Jason astonishing saves to redeem yourself. Zero to hero balls of Steel.( see what I did there?)

kjgood

Yes he dropped a clanger.

But wow. What a response. What a man, what balls. Loved how he thumped the badge after he saved.

I’ve not seen that many saves in one shot out before.

[emoji123]

Why? the game shouldnt have gone to penalties, the rest of the team shouldnt have had to play an extra thirty minutes and us fans shouldnt have had to edure an extra thirty minutes of the dross the playing individuals and management team served up. It was a Sunday league flap at the ball from him in the first place. Sorry but I'm just so fed up with what I'm watching week in week out this season.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

But wow. What a response. What a man, what balls. Loved how he thumped the badge after he saved.

[emoji123]

Amazing work. I was desperate for us to score again as I didn't trust him to be a safe pair of hands for penalties. Could hardly believe it when he saved the first one. Great work by a top man.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013

[emoji123]

Yep, credit where its due, fantastic effort after the blunder. :thumbsup:

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Ben Roberts I suspect is due a bit of credit too as he dived to correct side on all the saves - some of this will be from past analysis no doubt

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From cursing him on 95 to singing his praises after penalties. Fair play to him, what a come back and performance in the shootout.

That could've gone both ways as well. Thought his confidence might have been done but it made him stronger.

:clap2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ben Roberts I suspect is due a bit of credit too as he dived to correct side on all the saves - some of this will be from past analysis no doubt

I remember David Stockdale saying Ben Robert’s insisted he memorise the penalty takers of the opposition. The majority of players have a preferred area.

Quite why Ryan hasn’t saved a penalty, is beyond me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I remember David Stockdale saying Ben Robert’s insisted he memorise the penalty takers of the opposition. The majority of players have a preferred area.

Quite why Ryan hasn’t saved a penalty, is beyond me.

Do his saves from Charlie Adam and Wayne Rooney not count? :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
From cursing him on 95 to singing his praises after penalties. Fair play to him, what a come back and performance in the shootout.

That could've gone both ways as well. Thought his confidence might have been done but it made him stronger.

:clap2:

I was pleased when we signed him. People need to forget ‘fly on the wall’ documentaries of basket case football clubs.

He was very good for Boro, good for England U21s and steady for Blackburn.

Yes it was a howler, but his drop kick pass was probably the best of the night, prior to the error his handling was good and a very good save in normal time.

Then came the penalties. [emoji2][emoji2]

The way some of our ‘supporters’ turned on him was embarrassing. Terrible error, but my goodness if you want the definition of consistently poor look no further than AJ and Trossard.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here